Johnson's '07 Debut/Milestone Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson's '07 Debut/Milestone Thread

I'll be listening to at least the first hour or so of the game, so I'll include some updates for those who aren't able to listen or watch the game. Feel free to discuss any Randy Johnson related issues here.

A Few Milestones
    -Will become 49th All-Time in IP if he pitches 2.7 innings.
    -If he somehow throws a CG SHO, he will be 54th all time in that.
    -Needs 60 K's this season to be 2nd all time.
    -20 Wins to get to 30. If he gets only 10 this season, he'll pass Jim Kaat, Tony Mullane, Fergie Jenkins, Robin Roberts, Bert Blyleven, and Tommy John.
    Last edited by The Dude; 04-24-2007, 05:41 PM.
    AL East Champions: 1981 1982
    AL Pennant: 1982
    NL Central Champions: 2011
    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

well, he had a decent game against Moyer, just having the one bad inning, but with his 9 (?) SO's that game he still showed he has what it takes.

And he showed that again tonight, in the game in Colorado. He pitched 6 scoreless innings, with only 1 hit, 0 walks, and another 9 SO's!!! He threw 79 pitches in the game, and Pena and Valverde came in and helped the Diamondbacks to a 3 hit shutout!

Comment

A nice game by Johnson today, 10 k's in 5 innings.

Way to go Randy!!!

Comment

With his 10 SO game today (0 walks I might add!!! - second game in a row with no walks!!!), he is now only 14 SO's away from passing Roger Clemens for 2nd place on the all-time SO list!!!

And chances are that he will have another start before Clemens comes back (maybe even 2), so he could be very close by the time the Rocket comes back, and depending on Roger's performance, it could stay close - I guess we will have to wait and see.

So far this season, he has put up a 11.86 SO/9IP!!! That's better than the league leader at the momemt (Jake Peavy), and despite his late start this season, he is just shy of the top 10 in SO's, and could very well compete for the lead by seasons end if things stay the way they are now!

He also picked up the win today, so he now has 282 wins in his career, just 1 win behind Jim Kaat who is 30th all-time. He could possibly end the season 25th all-time, and next year, go for 300!!!

So the Big Unit is still putting up some Big Numbers!!!

His walk rate is also low this season 1.76 BB/9IP!!! That too is good for top 5 in the league, and if you take out his 1st game (where he was a bit rusty and gave up 4 walks), he's been even better, with an average of only 0.88 BB/9IP!!!
        Last edited by Edgartohof; 05-20-2007, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Johnson is back to his old form again it seems. He throws 6 innings, allowing only 1 hit, no walks, and no runs!!! He struck out 6 in this outting, putting him only 7 Strikeouts behind Roger Clemens all-time (and only 1117 behind Nolan Ryan )!

His ERA is down to 3.89 for the season, and his WHIP is barely over 1.000 He still has what it takes, so this should be a fun season to watch.

Also, this last game, was also another against Jamie Moyer, so they again set the record for the oldest pitching matchup in history.
          Last edited by Edgartohof; 05-30-2007, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Randy Johnson pitched a great game tonight getting 8 K's and passing Roger Clemens for number two on the all time strikeout leaders with 4605 K's.

Way to go Randy!!! :applaud:

Comment

Randy is back on the DL with back problems.

Such a bummer. h

Comment

Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
                Randy is back on the DL with back problems.

Such a bummer. h
                HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Thats exactly why the Yanks got rid of him, plus NY fans hated him!(including me!) He is one of those pitchers that had an amzing career when he was young but after he reached 40, he slowed down and stunk!
                Check out my Yankee blog http://questfor27.blogspot.com/

TRIBUTE TO MOOOSE (MIKE MUSSINA)
                ~~~~Thanks for all of the great memories Mike~~~~~
                You have my HOF vote and good luck in the future now that you have retired. Thanks for the wins you gave the Yanks from 2001-2008. Have an enjoyable retirement.

Comment

Johnson to pitch again

Randy Johnson is expected to pitch a couple of innings in a Spring Training Game since returning from his sixth back surgery.

The fifty three year (53) old Johnson, who has (434) wins says he's got a shot at breaking the legendary Cy Young's record for most wins career. He's just seventy eight (78) wins behind the Cyclone. "Obviously, I have a chance, if I stay healthy. I'm only fifty three (53)," the big unit said.

Young pitched in the dead ball era and Johnson pitched in the dead head era. Cy set his record in twenty (20) years and Johnson has taken thirty years (30) years to get within seventy eight (78).

The Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander is expected to pitch two innings against the Colorado Rockies at Helton Field, another sign of progress as the former Mariner returns from back surgery.

"Everything's gone on schedule," Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin said Sunday. "This is right around the first date that we thought that he would potentially take the mound in a game."

The 54-year-old Johnson went 4-3 with a 3.81 earned-run average in 10 starts for Arizona last season, the last on June 28, before undergoing his sixth back operation in less than a year.

Melvin said he has not projected Johnson's first regular-season start. The Big Unit enters the season with 434 career wins.

"It's all going to be outing to outing," Melvin said. "With him, we're not even close to that yet."

Melvin, who is fifty six (56) and who has been at the helm of the Diamond Backs for going on fifteen years says that nothing surprises him anymore with the big unit. "He's just one of those special athletes that come around once every hundred years," Melvin said.
                  Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 03-10-2008, 06:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

[QUOTE=Rennie Stennett;1132607 The fifty three year (53) old Johnson, who has (434) wins says he's got a shot at breaking the legendary Cy Young's record for most wins career.
                    The 54-year-old Johnson went 4-3 with a 3.81 earned-run average in 10 starts for Arizona last season, the last on June 28, before undergoing his sixth back operation in less than a year..[/QUOTE]

I think Randy Johnson is 44 years old.
                    My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Parody

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                      I think Randy Johnson is 44 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

A parody ( pronounced par-uh-de), in contemporary usage, is a work created to mock, comment on, or poke fun at an original work, its subject, or author, by means of humorous or satirical imitation
                      Parody may be found in art or culture, including literature, music, and cinema. Parodies are colloquially referred to as spoofs or lampoons.

Comment

April 25, 2008 - Arizona 5, San Diego 1.

Totals to date:
                        285 Wins
                        4636 K
                        3872 IP
                        Last edited by BenHertz; 04-26-2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Currently:
                          28th: Wins
                          46th: IP
                          3rd: K's
                          57th: Shutouts
                          AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                          AL Pennant: 1982
                          NL Central Champions: 2011
                          NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Randy just got his 4672th K, tied for 2nd all time with Clemens. :applaud:

Comment

Hard Road to 300 for RJ !!

The Diamondbacks wasted another good performance by Randy on Thursday. 9Ks and he left with a 3-2 lead, only to have the bullpen blow it asd soon as he left the game. The road to 300 wins is going to be tough with this bullpen and lack of run support.
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the feeling that Johnson gets the least amount of run support of any Arizona starting pitcher. I'd like to see his run support stats compared to the other guys in the rotation if anybody has that info available.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X