No announcement yet.

Johnson's '07 Debut/Milestone Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 27, 2008 - San Diego 5, Arizona 4.

7 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 9 K

Totals to date:
    294 wins
    4764 K
    4007.2 IP

Comment

So Tired Of This RJ Scenario

Another No-Decision for Randy Johnson on a blown save by the bullpen, surrendering the lead (against SanDiego August 27). This has become an epidemic.
      D'Backs relievers are not doing the job particularly when Randy pitches. and another thing - Somebody please get this man some runs! (Mediocre run support for RJ all season).
      With the Phillies or Yankees, Angels, Red Sox or Rays, and quite possibly a bunch of other teams Johnson would have had his 300th win already by this point of the season.

-philliesfiend55-

Comment

Minor Inflammation Causes Johnson To Miss a Start

While I would have loved to see RJ come up with a big performance today to beat back the surging Dodgers, minor shoulder inflammation is going to cause Johnson to miss today's turn in the rotation. it was announced Saturday.
        Johnson and team officials have said that he is expected to be back to make his next start on Saturday Sept. 13 and that he should make three or four more starts this season. Certainly the move was made with the post-season in mind also.
        Although not 100% healthy, Johnson may have been able to go today, but by missing a turn that will mean he will have had eleven days between starts, and that additional rest will be valuable, and benefit Johnson's peformance for the final two weeks of the season and potentially for the playoffs.
        Last edited by philliesfiend55; 09-07-2008, 09:17 AM.

Comment

More Of The Same for R.J.

Once Again On Johnson's September 13 game - the pattern continues:

Johnson involved in a low-scoring game.
          Light-hitting D'Backs can only provide RJ with a one-run lead (2-1).
          Bullpen Quickly surrenders the lead after Johnson's late inning departure, leaving Randy with another No-Decision.

Who would blame Johnson at this point if he went the free-agent route this off-season to a better hitting team and/or one with a better bullpen?

Comment

September 18, 2008 - Arizona 3, San Francisco 2.

7 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K

Totals to date:
            294 wins
            4779 K
            4024.1 IP

Comment

According to Yahoo! Sports, the bullpen has blown five leads for Johnson this year.

Comment

5 Blown saves are just the tip of the Iceberg!

Add to those five blown leads, games that Johnson was removed from after pitching well and while the score was tied, or the Diamondbacks were one run behind and you can begin to see why Johnson should be very frustated with his 2008 results.
                Recurrent Themes of Arizona's '08 season and the chief reasons why their season will end Sept.28:
                Little run support for their starting pitchers and a porous bullpen.

Comment

A great game to end the season for the Big Unit!

9 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K

Totals to date:
                  295 wins
                  4789 K
                  4039 1/3 IP

This puts him just 5 Wins away from 300! And he has shown that he clearly still has the stuff to keep up in this league!

Comment

It was his 100th career complete game, too.

Comment

Iron Will

Johnson pretty much Willed himself to win in the season finale.
                      173 srikeouts in '08 for and he wasn't healthy all season. Needs 211 Ks for 5,000, which is totally within the realm of possibility.

Comment

RJ's future after '08

Randy Johnson lives in the Phoenix area. He's probably the most important player to have played for the Arizona Diamondbacks' Franchise. Major milestones in his career of 300 Wins and 5,000 Strikeouts are on the horizon.
                        He's seeking a one to two year contract. Unfortunately, I understand that the Diamondbacks are trying to "Lowball" him, or want him to accept a contact with "a hometown discount".
                        I'm in New Jersey, in the suburban Philadelphia area, so it's hard to get details of stories about West Coast teams sometimes. If any Diamondbacks fans are more familiar with details of this situation, please enlighten myself and other members of this forum.

-philliesfiend55.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
                          Randy Johnson lives in the Phoenix area. He's probably the most important player to have played for the Arizona Diamondbacks' Franchise. Major milestones in his career of 300 Wins and 5,000 Strikeouts are on the horizon.
                          He's seeking a one to two year contract. Unfortunately, I understand that the Diamondbacks are trying to "Lowball" him, or want him to accept a contact with "a hometown discount".
                          I'm in New Jersey, in the suburban Philadelphia area, so it's hard to get details of stories about West Coast teams sometimes. If any Diamondbacks fans are more familiar with details of this situation, please enlighten myself and other members of this forum.

-philliesfiend55.
                          I haven't heard much, unfortunately I believe they will offer much less then what he made previously. I'd really like to see him sign a one year contract, I think 10 mil for a year and maybe some performance bonuses might be fair. Hopefully the Dbacks and RJ can get a deal done and Randy can reach the 300 win milestone as a Dback next year. Anyway, here is a what the Dbacks GM Josh Byrnes said earlier this week in regards to Johnson followed by a couple of links to articles below;

"We’re certainly going to talk to Randy. We’ll give him a little bit of breathing room from the season. He and I talked a little bit yesterday. He pitched very well this year. I think it’s complicated because he has 295 wins, he’s a Hall of Famer and certainly most of his career identity is here. But I think we have a lot of issues to pore through this off-season, a very good free agent class, him included. We need to make the best use of our resources to put a good team on the field. … I don’t want to go into too many specifics but there has been dialogue along the way. I think the general sense is understood on both sides and now it’s getting a little more specific. Like I said, I think we’ll wait a couple of weeks to really engage in that discussion."
                          http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/34597

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...backs0930.html
                          Last edited by Dogdaze; 10-04-2008, 09:36 PM.

Comment

To Dogdaze:

Thanks for relating what you know about Johnson's contract/free agent situation, Dogdaze.

One thing people forget is that Johnson's injury in '07 limited him to less than half a season (and just four wins).
                            He started the 2008 season late, still recovering from last year's injuries.. He won a few games early in '08 that weren't pretty, with a high E,R.A., but in those games Arizona furnished him with some rare run support. A losing streak followed after the run support stopped and RJ's less than stellar mound work continued. But then Johnson really got it together. He had only a few bad outings in the second half. He could have had a considerably better record and finished with a lot more wins than 11 if he'd had better run support and/or if the bullpen had done a better job saving games for him. Luck has something to do with it and you know your luck's not the best when a fairly unknown pitching opponent, beats you 3-1 by throwing a perfect game through about the first eight innings, which happened to Randy this Summer. 17 or 18 season wins for a total of 301 or 302 career wins was possible for RJ if things had broken right for him this year. He had really good stuff and appeared to work out the kinks after about mid-June through the remainder of the season.
                            If anything, Johnson in '09 may now be fully recovered from his physical woes he suffered in 2007. In '08 he was merely rounding into form. Johnson may be about to put together one last great season in 2009, and despite recent physical problems, he still might pitch into the next decade.

-philliesfiend55-

Comment

Johnson & D'Backs Ties To Be Cut Soon?

Randy Johnson filed for free agency today, on November 13, the last day to file. He was willing to take about a 50 per cent pay cut to stay with the Diamondbacks from roughly $6 Million to $3 million.
                              Frankly, I don't think the options the Diamondbacks have in the #4 & #5 spots in their rotation are strong enough to pass up Johnson's offer to take a "deep, hometown discount" of about half his previous year's salary.
                              Johnson should actually be fully recovered from his injuries suffered in 2007, that still hampered him at times last season. Considering that factor, he may be due for a good year in 2009 (better than '08).
                              Johnson termed the failure to work out a contract with Diamondbacks' management before the start of the Free Agent signing period, "Deeply disappointing".

-philliesfiend55-

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X