Wilson "For Mayor" Betemit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson "For Mayor" Betemit!

WOW, what a great talent we have in Wilson Betemit! This guy is going places!...he can hit like crazy (wether its a seing eye single, a drive to the gap, or a HR deep in the seats), he has a GREAT glove at 3B and can play any infield position, AND off the bench he is Mr. Clutch! What I don't get is all the trade talk around this guy! With the inconsistant play of Giles, and the way Chipper is prone to injury (and his age is creeping up on him) I cant see how we could ever think of trading this guy right now. I see him as a starter next year at second, trading Giles for either a proven LF, closer, or starter. Laroche is good at first, GREAT GLOVE and a good bat (yes i know he doesn't hit lefties well), Chipper has 2 more solid years at 3rd, maybe him and smoltz retire together as braves, renteria is at short for 2 mroe years atleast and he's having a monster year...I see the Braves being a top notch team as well next year...

But back to my point...Why would we trade Betemit??????:grouchy

Guess I am out of it, but what trade talk?
    I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Frantastic
      WOW, what a great talent we have in Wilson Betemit! This guy is going places!...he can hit like crazy (wether its a seing eye single, a drive to the gap, or a HR deep in the seats), he has a GREAT glove at 3B and can play any infield position, AND off the bench he is Mr. Clutch! What I don't get is all the trade talk around this guy! With the inconsistant play of Giles, and the way Chipper is prone to injury (and his age is creeping up on him) I cant see how we could ever think of trading this guy right now. I see him as a starter next year at second, trading Giles for either a proven LF, closer, or starter. Laroche is good at first, GREAT GLOVE and a good bat (yes i know he doesn't hit lefties well), Chipper has 2 more solid years at 3rd, maybe him and smoltz retire together as braves, renteria is at short for 2 mroe years atleast and he's having a monster year...I see the Braves being a top notch team as well next year...

But back to my point...Why would we trade Betemit??????:grouchy

Oh yeah...Wilson just did awesome a minute ago with the tying runner at 3rd with one out...he hit into a double play! UGHHHHHH

Sorry just venting. But yeah Wilson is very good.
      Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod
        Guess I am out of it, but what trade talk?
        There was talk he could go to San Diego for reliever Scott Linebrink.
        2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

The reason there has been talk about trading Betemit is that he is simply too good of a player to sit on the bench, but when everyone is healthy there is no place for him. I think the main reason Giles has not played well is that he is not suited for the leadoff role. Giles and Betemit are about equal as players at least in my opinion. Betemit is a better pure hitter, but he does not field or run as well as Giles. Strange to say this on an Atlanta Braves board, but I think a lot of people here seriously underrate a healthy Chipper Jones. Betemit has not shown the ability to be anywhere close to Chipper as a hitter. That's not an insult to Betemit as Chipper is one of the best hitters of the past 12 years. He played in eight straight years of 150 or more games. He has been injured for some of the past three years, but he has been able to remain in the lineup for enough games to truly help the team. He does not have any degenerative injuries and is still capable of being an MVP caliber player. I personally believe he has a number of good years ahead of him.
          "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
          -Casey Stengel

Comment

he did good tonite, going 0-for and looking at strike 3 to end it, but he should be an everyday player. i'd play him at second right now, giles is quite injury prone
            Stay Away From Downed Power Lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarheelfan44
              he did good tonite, going 0-for and looking at strike 3 to end it, but he should be an everyday player. i'd play him at second right now, giles is quite injury prone
              I personally Iagree with Tarheelfan on this one (which seems like it may be a rarity ) if we traded every player that had a bad night on the plate and left RISP in close game we would not have any players on the team.
              I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

I like him more at 3rd or SS because he looks so natural there, but with work he can be a good 2B.

Comment

I think trading Betemit for Linebrink is a ridiculous trade. I agree that we need another middle reliever, and I like Linebrink, or Howry wouldnt be bad either, but trading Wilson for them is crazy.
                  The Braves would be shoring up the middle relief at a major detriment to the offense. I disagree that Wilson is "too valuable a player to sit on the bench", he is just right valuable. Betemit has shown that the more extended playing time he gets, the less he hits. I think Betemit is a 400 AB player, and he will give you a great 400AB, but extend it to 600 and his shortcomings start to show up more and more.
                  His bench value though is HUGE. He can give Chipper, Giles, and Renteria a break. Chipper is too old to play every day, Giles is reckless and needs a break, and Renteria deserves the occassional day off to keep him fresh. Who does all that when you trade Betemit? Orr? PLEASE.

www.bravesoxtalk.com

Comment

There is talk of Betemit to the Yankees for Scott Proctor.

I think that's probably one of the worst trade ideas I've ever heard. Proctor had a 6-something ERA last year, and has really only been solid recently this year; Betemit has been a clutch bench player who could be starting on a lot of other teams. Let's not trade a 24 year old, 1st round pick for a 29 year old relief pitcher who's in only his second full season in the majors.
                    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules -- and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

Comment

That trade is absurd!!! If Wilson is the odd man out I want the Braves to get a guy who'll be here for 3 to 5 years not just a 1/2 year rent.

Comment

Yeah I read an article in the NY Post and AJC about the Betemit/Proctor trade.

Proctor isn't exactly old (he's 29) so he'd be here for a while. His second half has picked up. My girlfriend, a die-hard Yankees fan, said he got pretty shaken up after Manny Ramirez looked at him after hitting a homer, but he's regained his confidence.

I'm still not ready to part with Betemit, though. It's nice to know you have a great player like that who can start or come off the bench and heat up.

But, we desperately need a set-up man. Ugh, the agony!
                        1914 Boston Braves
                        July 5th: 15 games back.
                        October 13th: World Series Champs
                        (Anything is possible)
                        GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Click Here (It's all you need to get fired up about the Braves).

Comment

Originally posted by Eugenious
                          I think trading Betemit for Linebrink is a ridiculous trade. I agree that we need another middle reliever, and I like Linebrink, or Howry wouldnt be bad either, but trading Wilson for them is crazy.
                          The Braves would be shoring up the middle relief at a major detriment to the offense. I disagree that Wilson is "too valuable a player to sit on the bench", he is just right valuable. Betemit has shown that the more extended playing time he gets, the less he hits. I think Betemit is a 400 AB player, and he will give you a great 400AB, but extend it to 600 and his shortcomings start to show up more and more.
                          His bench value though is HUGE. He can give Chipper, Giles, and Renteria a break. Chipper is too old to play every day, Giles is reckless and needs a break, and Renteria deserves the occassional day off to keep him fresh. Who does all that when you trade Betemit? Orr? PLEASE.

www.bravesoxtalk.com
                          What you stated in your last paragraph is my main concern about trading either Gile or Betemit. If one of our infielders is injured, Betemit is a competent replacement and it helps to give everybody a day off every now and then. I'm not sure about the Chipper being too old part because he is only 34, but it got me thinking. I know that Chipper is a team leader and wants to be in the lineup everyday, but maybe giving him a day off a little more often would help him to avoid injuries. Betemit is a good bat off the bench and if we trade either him or Giles, we don't have a good replacement if one of the our starters goes down for any extended period of time. I guess the main reason to trade Giles is that he is up for arbitration next year. Well, I guess we'll see what happens over the next couple of days.
                          "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                          -Casey Stengel

Comment

meh I say trade Giles...we still have pete orr who can do Wilson's job of plugging in for IF. We need a LF pretty badly...or giles for a SP would be nice. We can't trust Thomson and Horacio forever.
                            4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
                            http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

I'm not excited about trading Betemit because I think he could be a better 2B than Giles when you consider what Giles will be owed next year. I'd rather keep Wilson and trade Giles over the winter. But the fact is we need bullpen help now if we want to pull out of the hole we got in and make the postseason and do any damage there. For the same reason we want to keep Betemit other teams prefer him in a trade for bullpen help rather than Giles.

I used to like the Betemit for Linebrink idea but Linebrink has been struggling lately and I think SD would have to add one more player now to get Betemit. I wasnt excited about the Proctor idea but people who know him better than I do seem to be surprised the Yankees would part with him for Betemit. Proctor and Linebrink are both hard-throwers and guys with the stuff to come in and over-power to get a strikeout when needed. That's the kind of arm we need to add to the pen. JS is rarely wrong so if his scouts see Proctor as somebody worth trading Betemit for then I'd listen. We got Wickman for next to nothing so I was hoping if we traded Betemit it would be for somebody very reliable and very solid since Betemit has such high value right now. Maybe Proctor is the guy but he's not who I had in mind. Either way JS wont trade Betemit without also acquiring a utility guy to replace Wilson as our primary backup 3B. That could come from within in Martin Prado or it could be a bench guy from another team who has quality 3B experience. For example, Nick Green could be included in a deal with the Yanks though his 3B experience is limited but he is a guy the Braves know well.
                              Let's go Braves!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X