X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betemit to Dodgers

Betemit has been traded to the Dodgers for Danny Baez and Willy Aybar:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...0729trade.html
    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules -- and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

so now he can run for mayor of L.A. ...
    Stay Away From Downed Power Lines.

Comment

Dang you beat me to it I was about to post it! What you guys think about it? We get a bullpen guy and a young IF in Aybar. We gonna miss Wilson though.
      4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
      http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

I will miss Betemit. I wish we had the room here to make him a starter. He used to be the top prospect in our organization and he still shows a lot of promise but he just wasnt going to unseat Chipper at third. I think that is the only place the organization would have trusted him as a starter. Apparently they didnt want to keep him as Giles replacement at 2B and didnt think he was enough as their everyday SS last winter when they traded for Renteria.

I trust JS though. Baez has a good arm and Aybar must have been liked enough by our scouts that JS felt he could replace Betemit adequately. From looking at reports briefly, it looks like Aybar might be a younger version of Betemit maybe with slightly less power and a slightly lower ceiling. It's a risk especially with Chipper's injury history. But we need bullpen help so desperately and Baez has been a successful reliever in the past and at times this year so maybe it was worth the risk if that was the best offer on the table. Only time will tell.
        Last edited by ATL22; 07-28-2006, 10:16 PM.
        Let's go Braves!!

Comment

My feeling on the subject is that we took a downgrade (albeit not a major one) on Aybar and we get a pitcher that can be quite dominate in the right environment/situation. As much as I loved seeing Betemit in a Braves Uni, I am happy he will get a chance to play everyday and show what he is capable of (same way I felt about Klesko to SD)
          I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

I think this was probably the best deal that could have been made for Betemit. Baez is a former closer with 70 saves over two seasons with Tampa, and Aybar is a good young prospect. Compare that to the rumored trades for Linebrink or Proctor! I have to smile because of the way, once again, with all the rumours, Schuerholz pulled off a trade no one was talking about
            Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules -- and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

Comment

I think it was a good trade too but I'm curious if we could of gotten Linebrink and Josh Barfield for Betemit. 70 saves for Tampa is an accomplishment! We really starting to bolster our bullpen with Baez and Wickman. Ken Ray isn't alone any more!!!!

Comment

I was jumping up and down after I saw that trade announced on ESPN. Congrats Schuerholz. But you did give up a good middle infielder in Wilson Betemit, but we got one in return. .
                Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

when did it happen?

In light of Chipper's injury, do you guys think that this trade was already consumated prior to the game and the announcement was agreed upon to be made after the game was over? If not, do you think we should have waited to see how Chipper was going to be? It appears we are without a third baseman now. I don't think Pete Orr is the answer?

Comment

In my opinion, I say Willy Aybar wil become a much bigger star than Wilson Betemit, I have a feeling Betemit will start for good next season and will flunk. Aybar is a better all-around player than Betemit, he is a better hitter, fielder but maybe Wilson is faster.
                    Cristobal

Comment

Trade

Originally posted by 41-44-VB
                      In light of Chipper's injury, do you guys think that this trade was already consumated prior to the game and the announcement was agreed upon to be made after the game was over? If not, do you think we should have waited to see how Chipper was going to be? It appears we are without a third baseman now. I don't think Pete Orr is the answer?
                      I think it was prior but I can't be certain. We would of wanted an IF regardless of the injury. As for the 3rd base situation, I guess we would have to call up guys like Martin Prado or use Aybar and Pete Orr alot. It would be nice if Thorman could play 3B. Ya if we had to play Pete Orr...we'd prolly move Giles to 3B and play Orr at 2B.

Comment

Aybar had a good day in his debut. From what Skip Caray was saying, Braves management think that Aybar will be a better player than Betemit. I don't know if they would have still made the deal had they known that Chipper was going on the DL, but my guess would be yes. If at least one of our starters doesn't step up behind Smoltz it's not going to make much difference who replaces Chipper as we will be out of the race before he gets back. If we can stay where we are now, a healthy Chipper and an improved rotation might can carry us to the top of the wild card in the last month and half. But if we lose another five out of six then its over.
                        "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                        -Casey Stengel

Comment

I thought I wouldn't be happy with the deal, but Aybar has shown he can play well at different infield spots.
                          2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Aybar will undoubtedly be a success with your organisation - good Dodger players who are traded usually become better players elsewhere. Not sure about Baez though - he needs to improve on what he was doing at Chavez ravine. Anyway good luck with your new boys, and I hope Betemit is a success with the Dodgers.
                            "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

You guys got a winner in Betemit, I'm cheering for him throughout his career. He's a valuable player because he can play 2nd, 3rd, or SS. Solid, solid player.
                              2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X