All Time Braves Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Time Braves Team

I have not seen this done on our forum, so what is your all time Braves team. Each player must have spent a minimum of five years with the Braves.

Lineup

1. Hugh Duffy 2B
    2. Joe Torre C
    3. Chipper Jones 3B
    4. Hank Aaron RF
    5. Eddie Mathews 1B
    6. Aundruw Jones CF
    7. Dale Murphy LF
    8. Rabbit Maranville SS
    9. Starting Pitcher

Bench
    Herman Long SS
    Bob Horner 3B
    Tommy McCarthy OF
    Bobby Lowe 2B
    David Justice OF
    Javy Lopez C

Rotation

1. Warren Spahn
    2. Kid Nichols
    3. Greg Maddux
    4. Tom Glavine
    5. Phil Niekro

Bullpen

Al Spalding
    Lew Burdette
    Johnny Sain
    Vic Willis
    Kevin Millwood

Closer

John Smoltz

Includes Hall of Famers:
    1. Hugh Duffy
    2. Hank Aaron
    3. Eddie Mathews
    4. Rabbit Maranville
    5. Warren Spahn
    6. Kid Nichols
    7. Phil Niekro
    8. Al Spalding(elected as pioneer)
    9. Vic Willis
    10. Tommy McCarhty

Chipper, Aundruw, Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz could make it 14. Been hoping against hope for years that Dale would get in, but its not looking good.
    Anyway, not a bad team at all.
    Last edited by cbenson5; 08-02-2006, 12:41 AM.
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

Isn't Niekro a little low in the rotation
    :radio...and Wilkerson strikes out.....again.

Comment

IMO it is a toss up between Niekro and Glavine for the 4/5 spots and Nichols and Maddux for the 2/3 spots.
      "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
      -Casey Stengel

Comment

I think that's a stretch placing Duffy at second base. I'd put Bobby Lowe there instead.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner
          I think that's a stretch placing Duffy at second base. I'd put Bobby Lowe there instead.

With one career game at second and his brilliant outfield play, placing Duffy at second was my main concern with the team. I wanted to start him in the outfield and move Murphy to first. I know that he played a number of games there in the late seventies, but then where do I put Mathews. I could move him back to third and Chipper to Short, but then I loose Rabbit Maranville. I could go the easy way out and use a Dh, but I don't want to do that. Starting Lowe at second is definitely something I should consider.
          -Casey Stengel

Comment

You can do better than Dale Murphy in CF.

Like with this guy.
            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5
              I have not seen this done on our forum, so what is your all time Braves team. Each player must have spent a minimum of five years with the Braves.

Lineup

1. Hugh Duffy 2B
              2. Joe Torre C
              3. Chipper Jones 3B
              4. Hank Aaron RF
              5. Eddie Mathews 1B
              6. Aundruw Jones CF
              7. Dale Murphy LF
              8. Rabbit Maranville SS
              9. Starting Pitcher

Bench
              Herman Long SS
              Bob Horner 3B
              Joe Adcock 1B
              Bobby Lowe 2B
              David Justice OF
              Javy Lopez C

Rotation

1. Warren Spahn
              2. Kid Nichols
              3. Greg Maddux
              4. Tom Glavine
              5. Phil Niekro

Bullpen

Al Spalding
              Lew Burdette
              Johnny Sain
              Vic Willis
              Kevin Millwood

Closer

John Smoltz

Includes Hall of Famers:
              1. Hugh Duffy
              2. Hank Aaron
              3. Eddie Mathews
              4. Rabbit Maranville
              5. Warren Spahn
              6. Kid Nichols
              7. Phil Niekro
              8. Al Spalding
              9. Vic Willis

Chipper, Aundruw, Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz could make it 14. Been hoping against hope for years that Dale would get in, but its not looking good.
              Anyway, not a bad team at all.
              NO Mcgriff??? Even on the bench!!!
              Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by JeffFrancoeur7
                NO Mcgriff??? Even on the bench!!!
                I used a cut off point of five years. I was thinking that it might should have been higher, so I didn't include Mcgriff who played 4 full seasons. He came over from San Diego in 1993 for part of the year and went to Tampa Bay after the 1997 season.
                -Casey Stengel

Comment

I love Warren Spahn. I have him at #2 on my all-time LH-pitchers list, despite his modest career ERA+, the amazing feats of Steve Carlton and Carl Hubbell, and the gaudy stats of Randy Johnson and Sandy Koufax. But I cannot see putting Spahn at #1 for the all-time best Braves pitcher, ahead of Greg Maddux. I think Maddux is one of the Top 5 total pitchers of all time, and one of the 5 or 6 pitchers for whom a legit case can be made as THE #1 pitcher of all time, along with Grove, W. Johnson, Clemens, Alexander, Young and maybe, in another 5 to 8 years, Pedro.
                  Last edited by BaseballHistoryNut; 07-29-2006, 08:11 PM.

Comment

torre at C, you could've picked better...
                    Stay Away From Downed Power Lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarheelfan44
                      torre at C, you could've picked better...
                      Who?

Maybe I overlooked someone, but Javy Lopez is the only player remotely close.
                      I'll take a gold glove winner, nine time all star, 1971 MVP and batting champion.
                      A career .297 hitter. Not bad.
                      -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
                        I love Warren Spahn. I have him at #2 on my all-time LH-pitchers list, despite his modest career ERA+, the amazing feats of Steve Carlton and Carl Hubbell, and the gaudy stats of Randy Johnson and Sandy Koufax. But I cannot see putting Spahn at #1 for the all-time best Braves pitcher, ahead of Greg Maddux. I think Maddux is one of the Top 5 total pitchers of all time, and one of the 5 or 6 pitchers for whom a legit case can be made as THE #1 pitcher of all time, along with Grove, W. Johnson, Clemens, Alexander, Young and maybe, in another 5 to 8 years, Pedro.

I agree with you. I probably rank Maddux as high as anyone. I mainly went with Spahn as the number one man because he won 356 games as a Brave and Kid Nichols beacuse he won 329 with the Braves. If I was ranking pitchers, Maddux would be easily number one among these players.
                        -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5
                          Who?

Maybe I overlooked someone, but Javy Lopez is the only player remotely close.
                          I'll take a gold glove winner, nine time all star, 1971 MVP and batting champion.
                          A career .297 hitter. Not bad.

yeah i meant lopez, i see him as a brave... torre: not so much, but ot each his own.

Comment

Ok, I understand. I just went with career stats. Joe Torre only played half of his career with the Braves and his best season was with St. Louis. If you look at only stats with the Braves Lopez edges Torre out offensively, but he only played a hundred or so more games with the Braves than Torre did.
                            -Casey Stengel

Comment

probably cause i was a 90's kid. so i hear torre, i think yanks.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X