No announcement yet.

Yellowdog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn! He is the second person that passed away in about half a year. One of the driving forces of this forum.

Words fail to express my feelings about this.

I am glad for him that he is not suffering anymore, but that doesn't take away the grief and the pain his family is feeling right now. I send my deepest condolences to them and wish them all the strength for the time to come.

Comment

One day...

I agree what yankeesrule said: Words cannot express my feelings.

I'm for once speecheless. Yellowdog is gone.
      One day we will all see him and we will all see each other.
      Rest in peace
      Cristobal

Comment

I don't remember when John first contacted me, but I do know that he was rooting for the Red Sox in the '03 ALCS, and he was the first to contact me after they'd lost that terrible game, telling me that they did their best, and there's always next year, and he was also one of the first to offer congrats when they won in '04, because he knew how very much it meant to me. He told me as recently as on my birthday this past summer that he hoped he'd live long enough to see his Braves and my Sox in the World Series. I didn't know at the time that he was ill, but he must have known, of course. It breaks my heart to think of those last words I received from him.

As I was driving home today, I heard a song by Jack Johnson, titled "If I Could" which is about the death of a friend. My eyes filled with tears when the following lines were sung:

Words are kind
        They helped ease the mind
        I'll miss my old friend
        And though you gotta go
        We'll keep a piece of your soul
        One goes out
        One comes in

Peace to thy gentle shade, John. I'll miss my old friend.
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

Comment

Post #1,900

It's ironic I make my 1900th post in this thread, because when I first came here Yellowdog was the one to greet me on post #1. He was like a father to me here at BBF, he taught me lots of things I didn't know about baseball. Thank You, Yellowdog.

R.I.P. Yellowdog
          2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Farewell, Yellowdog. Hats off to you!
            My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

And when he shall die,
              take him and cut him out in little stars.
              And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
              that all the world will be love with night,
              and pay no worship to the garish sun.

Rome and Juliet
              Act III, Scene 2

Comment

Just like Wilk said, this is Yellowdog's final post, from the Hollandsworth thread:

Originally posted by yellowdog 8/30/05 1:04 PM
                It's going to be interesting to see what type of roster move they make to clear a spot for him. Rosters can expand Thursday, but I'm wondering who will be sent out for today and tommorow?

It will also be interesting to see how this will effect the post season roster, assuming the Braves make it. I can't see them carrying 4 outfielders. And since you would think Andruw and Francouer are safe, could kelly Johnson and Ryan Langerhans be watching the playoffs this year?
                May his name be, in thought, retired throughout BBF.
                My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Wow, can't believe this happened in the time I was gone. He will be missed on these boards greatly. My condolences to his family, we all can only imagine what you are all going through. R.I.P Yellowdog.
                  Let's go Dodgers

Comment

I hadn't logged in for a long time and it is only on the outskirts of Christmas that I find out about this... In a way I am relived that he is no longer suffering... I've had a close one in this condition and I know how it's like...

As we say over here: "May the soil that engulfs you be soft, John." I am sure you will have your rightful place in heaven... Maybe you'll be able to watch a game or two up there too... we will never forget you... And we will always cherish your words over here. :gt
                    "I know One Thing, That I Know Nothing" - - - Socrates

Comment

hang in there yellowdog
                      Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

-Lou Brock-

Comment

rip yellowdog
                        Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

-Lou Brock-

Comment

Wow, so sad to hear about this, I wish I had logged in sooner to see his prognosis before he passed. I never got to know him very well or personally (even via this board) but he was always struck me as a kindhearted person with lots of insight and a genuine desire to engage others in passionate discussion.

He will be missed.

RIP

Comment

Yellowdog's passing leaves a terrible emptiness on this board. We all miss his lively interest in baseball, his sense of fair play, and his decency. He is irreplaceable.

Comment

To the one, the only yellowdog. An excellent Braves fan and a wonderful human being. :o

R-I-P
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Just for you, John...

...the wit of Bob Uecker, excerpts from Catcher in the Wry he co-authored with Mickey Herskowitz.

I was the first hometown boy to sign with and play for the Milwaukee Braves. Technically, I wasn't born in Milwaukee. My folks were on an oleo run to Chicago, and my mother was due any day. On Highway 41, just out of town, she got the pains. My old man swung the car off the exit ramp and she dropped me in a mangerlike area. There were three wise men standing under an exit light: one had oleo, one carried butter, the third was a baseball scout.

Weeks later my mother took me off milk and fed me beef jerky to toughen me for the Cinderella story that was to follow.

Not even Avis has gotten more mileage out of being Number 2 than Ed McMahon.
                                I don't think the man ever lived who hated to lose more than Bob Gibson. He was a quick learner who, if you gave him a week, could beat you at your own game.

However, the first time he ever let himself get talked into a celebrity golf tournament, he shot a score of 115. It was his own fault. He counted all his strokes.
                                As a big-leaguer, I had appeared in 86 games, with 41 hits in 186 times at bat for an average of .220. I had scored 16 runs and driven in 14, with five doubles and two homers, all in less than three seasons.

Jeez, no wonder I had my own fan club.
                                As the president of my own fan club would later observe: "There were a great many people who thought that the Cards made a great mistake, trading two ballplayers for one Uecker. As the season wore on, Uecker proved that they were indeed correct. He fielded like a slow, wounded turtle behind the plate. He ran like a batting cage with a flat tire, and he hit like he didn't know what the word meant...He seemed to be a loser like the Cards hadn't seen since the days of Dal Maxvill. He became the scapegoat. People began to blame things on Uecker. And Uecker deserved every bit of it."

(Uecker goes on to write) At this point, you might conclude that the fans were not yet soldily behind me.
                                We were not far into the 1967 season when I knew my days with the Phillies were numbered. I went to the plate one night as a pinch hitter, and when I looked to the third base coach for a sign, he turned his back on me.
                                Last edited by PopTop; 12-02-2006, 07:34 AM.
                                Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
                                Astros Daily

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X