Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2Chance
    replied
    I got online on his birthday, and got a lump in my throat upon seeing his name there. I still miss Yellowdog too, and he would be thrilled to see how far Greg Maddux has progressed. ( He and I had some discussions about Maddux.)

Since John's passing, I still keep my avatar as a tribute to him.
    He was a fine gentleman.

Leave a comment:

• Atlanta Braves Freak
    replied
    Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
    John was such a kind and wonderful human being; key word, human.

It's hard to believe that one year has passed since we received the news that saddened all of us.

I so enjoyed our many discussions, and his passion for his Braves.

I truly miss his voice here on BBF.

c.
    Eloquently stated. John was a great person here at BBF, we still miss him to this day.

R.I.P.

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    John was such a kind and wonderful human being; key word, human.

It's hard to believe that one year has passed since we received the news that saddened all of us.

I so enjoyed our many discussions, and his passion for his Braves.

I truly miss his voice here on BBF.

c.

Leave a comment:

• Baseball Guru
    replied
    Today is YD's birthday! He would have been 57.. He left us way too early!

I hope you are playing some baseball in heaven

Truly one of the great gentlemen I have ever had the pleasure of meeting through these baseball boards...

Leave a comment:

• Chipper
    replied
    Yellowdog

I never knew him, because I just joined. I just pray he was saved, and is now enjoying heaven!

Leave a comment:

• Solair Wright
    replied
    One year later after he passed away, and I'm still saddened by this thread. Losing a former Super Moderator to cancer is just painful. May the blessings help your family.

Leave a comment:

• PopTop
    replied
    Just for you, John...

...the wit of Bob Uecker, excerpts from Catcher in the Wry he co-authored with Mickey Herskowitz.

I was the first hometown boy to sign with and play for the Milwaukee Braves. Technically, I wasn't born in Milwaukee. My folks were on an oleo run to Chicago, and my mother was due any day. On Highway 41, just out of town, she got the pains. My old man swung the car off the exit ramp and she dropped me in a mangerlike area. There were three wise men standing under an exit light: one had oleo, one carried butter, the third was a baseball scout.

Weeks later my mother took me off milk and fed me beef jerky to toughen me for the Cinderella story that was to follow.

Not even Avis has gotten more mileage out of being Number 2 than Ed McMahon.
    I don't think the man ever lived who hated to lose more than Bob Gibson. He was a quick learner who, if you gave him a week, could beat you at your own game.

However, the first time he ever let himself get talked into a celebrity golf tournament, he shot a score of 115. It was his own fault. He counted all his strokes.
    As a big-leaguer, I had appeared in 86 games, with 41 hits in 186 times at bat for an average of .220. I had scored 16 runs and driven in 14, with five doubles and two homers, all in less than three seasons.

Jeez, no wonder I had my own fan club.
    As the president of my own fan club would later observe: "There were a great many people who thought that the Cards made a great mistake, trading two ballplayers for one Uecker. As the season wore on, Uecker proved that they were indeed correct. He fielded like a slow, wounded turtle behind the plate. He ran like a batting cage with a flat tire, and he hit like he didn't know what the word meant...He seemed to be a loser like the Cards hadn't seen since the days of Dal Maxvill. He became the scapegoat. People began to blame things on Uecker. And Uecker deserved every bit of it."

(Uecker goes on to write) At this point, you might conclude that the fans were not yet soldily behind me.
    We were not far into the 1967 season when I knew my days with the Phillies were numbered. I went to the plate one night as a pinch hitter, and when I looked to the third base coach for a sign, he turned his back on me.
    Last edited by PopTop; 12-02-2006, 06:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    To the one, the only yellowdog. An excellent Braves fan and a wonderful human being. :o

R-I-P

Leave a comment:

• donzblock
    replied
    Yellowdog's passing leaves a terrible emptiness on this board. We all miss his lively interest in baseball, his sense of fair play, and his decency. He is irreplaceable.

Leave a comment:

• cklennon
    replied
    Wow, so sad to hear about this, I wish I had logged in sooner to see his prognosis before he passed. I never got to know him very well or personally (even via this board) but he was always struck me as a kindhearted person with lots of insight and a genuine desire to engage others in passionate discussion.

He will be missed.

RIP

Leave a comment:

• metsfan28
    replied
    rip yellowdog

Leave a comment:

• metsfan28
    replied
    hang in there yellowdog

Leave a comment:

• Perseas
    replied
    I hadn't logged in for a long time and it is only on the outskirts of Christmas that I find out about this... In a way I am relived that he is no longer suffering... I've had a close one in this condition and I know how it's like...

As we say over here: "May the soil that engulfs you be soft, John." I am sure you will have your rightful place in heaven... Maybe you'll be able to watch a game or two up there too... we will never forget you... And we will always cherish your words over here. :gt

Leave a comment:

• whatswailing
    replied
    Wow, can't believe this happened in the time I was gone. He will be missed on these boards greatly. My condolences to his family, we all can only imagine what you are all going through. R.I.P Yellowdog.

Leave a comment:

• Knick9
    replied
    Just like Wilk said, this is Yellowdog's final post, from the Hollandsworth thread:

Originally posted by yellowdog 8/30/05 1:04 PM
    It's going to be interesting to see what type of roster move they make to clear a spot for him. Rosters can expand Thursday, but I'm wondering who will be sent out for today and tommorow?

It will also be interesting to see how this will effect the post season roster, assuming the Braves make it. I can't see them carrying 4 outfielders. And since you would think Andruw and Francouer are safe, could kelly Johnson and Ryan Langerhans be watching the playoffs this year?
    May his name be, in thought, retired throughout BBF.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X