Bob Wickman in Atlanta in 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Wickman in Atlanta in 2007

Great news Bob Wickman will be our closer in 2007. Our team is starting to take shape, and I think things will turn around next year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Last edited by cbenson5; 09-20-2006, 04:10 PM.
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

That was our number 1 priority going into the offseason and JS handled business. Now they just have to pick up John Smoltz's option.
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
      That was our number 1 priority going into the offseason and JS handled business. Now they just have to pick up John Smoltz's option.
      Call me crazy, but doesn't this gaurantee that Smoltz won't want his option picked up? You saw how pissed off he was that he didn't have his option picked up earlier and now this. At worst, this gaurantees that he won't re-sign with Atlanta.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
        Call me crazy, but doesn't this gaurantee that Smoltz won't want his option picked up? You saw how pissed off he was that he didn't have his option picked up earlier and now this. At worst, this gaurantees that he won't re-sign with Atlanta.
        that's JS's policy, no one, he never makes exeptions for players.

Besides, I think it's time to let Smoltz go and get someone else, if he's pissed, he'd probably like to return to Detroit.
        Cristobal

Comment

oh, and they definately overpaid for Wickman.

5-6.5 million!!

and they think Hudson's getting a lot too, ya, rite!
          Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
            oh, and they definately overpaid for Wickman.

5-6.5 million!!

and they think Hudson's getting a lot too, ya, rite!
            No kidding. But I'd rather have an overpaid Bob Wickman than an overpaid Chris Reitsma.

Comment

That's a lot of money tothrow at a pitcher who is barely above average, has an injury history, and only hurls 60 innings a year.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                That's a lot of money tothrow at a pitcher who is barely above average, has an injury history, and only hurls 60 innings a year.
                Eh, maybe. But what choice do they have? It's not like he's going to turn into Bruce Sutter. What's a better alternative?

EDIT: Because I'll tell you what isn't a good idea: going with one of our cheap young kids when it's painfully obvious none of them are lights out.
                Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 09-21-2006, 03:38 PM.

Comment

John Smoltz option was picked up today btw. I'd much rather overpay Wickman, than have no closer which we essentially have done for a few years now. If Wickman really wanted to help the braves he would of accepted less but I guess he wants his dough. Next step get some quality middle inning relievers or setup guys. Giles for a relief pitcher looks like the obvious move. We have enough guys to fill in at 2b. (prado, orr, aybar, pena)
                  4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
                  http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

I'm glad the Smoltz non story can come to an end. Looking at salaries around the league 5 million with incentives is not out of line for a player like Wickman especially for a one year deal. Adding a closer to the Braves is probably the difference between making the playoffs or not, and I'm glad we have got one.
                    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                    -Casey Stengel

Comment

Whew! Now the Braves can focus on unrestricted free agents to sign in the offseason. Smoltz is our ace no matter what you say.
                      2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
                        that's JS's policy, no one, he never makes exeptions for players.

Besides, I think it's time to let Smoltz go and get someone else, if he's pissed, he'd probably like to return to Detroit.

Why would we let John Smoltz go? He is the best pitcher on the team and has spent his entire career with the Braves. His option which was just exercised is only for 8 million. When players like Randy Johnson, Mike Hampton, and Burkett are all making well over 10 million a season, 8 million is a bargain for a true ace. Mr. Smoltz will finish his career in Atlanta and should get 200 wins and come close to 3000 strikeouts next year.
                        -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5
                          Why would we let John Smoltz go? He is the best pitcher on the team and has spent his entire career with the Braves. His option which was just exercised is only for 8 million. When players like Randy Johnson, Mike Hampton, and Burkett are all making well over 10 million a season, 8 million is a bargain for a true ace. Mr. Smoltz will finish his career in Atlanta and should get 200 wins and come close to 3000 strikeouts next year.
                          He'll get 200 wins by the end of next season. I'm not so sure about 3,000 strikeouts, though.

Comment

Speaking of strikeouts Smoltz just got his 200'th strikeout of the season.
                            -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5
                              Speaking of strikeouts Smoltz just got his 200'th strikeout of the season.
                              That's always great.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X