• Time to trade Andruw?

David O'Brien of the AJC has this to say:

(My comments in bold)

KEYS TO FIXING THE BRAVES: PART 1

Andruw in his prime or in decline?

By DAVID O'BRIEN
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/28/06

He's widely regarded as the top defensive center fielder in a generation and among the best of all time. He has hit more home runs before age 30 than all but seven players. And he wants to stay with the Braves.

If that were all there was to it, re-signing Andruw Jones would seem a no-brainer.

But mix in other factors, like an aging body, pending free agency, agent Scott Boras and a projected $80 million team payroll, and the situation gets complicated. All true, but not all neccesarily bad things. Andruw can move to the corner outfield if he gets beat up too much and since when in the payroll set in stone?

That's why Jones, who's under contract through the 2007 season, is potentially the team's biggest domino that could fall via trade this offseason, setting in motion other moves as the Braves attempt to regroup after a disappointing season that ended their run of 14 consecutive division titles.

"Scott's going to come out and ask for what my value is, see what the market is, and we'll go from there," Jones said. "We'll see if [the Braves] want to accept it, and then it's up to me if I want to go lower or higher. When the season's over, that's when we will talk.

"There's a lot of teams out there that have a lot of money. L.A. [Dodgers], Anaheim, the Mets. ... A lot of people are willing to spend money for good players. But I'm not thinking about that right now. Hopefully, we can work something out so I can stay with the Braves." So... let me get this straight. You want money that the Mets and Dodgers will pay, which will be more than the Braves, gauranteed... yet you still want to stay in Atlanta. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth.

The Braves don't have to do anything at all with Jones this winter, as he's under contract for next season. But the team won't wait until next summer to formulate a strategy regarding the 29-year-old.

They will decide in coming months — perhaps sooner — whether they can afford to re-sign Jones, whose salary could climb above $15 million annually and account for a fifth of the projected team payroll. He's scheduled to make $13.5 million next season. See? What did I say? If Jones wants to stay in Atlanta, he'll have to accept around $13 million or even less. What are the chances of that?

"With every player who becomes a free agent or a potential free agent," Braves general manager John Schuerholz said, "you try to make your best judgment as to how long a guy can continue to perform at his optimum level and how long you can count on that productivity.

"He plays hard. He's a sensational player. He does a great job for us." He has. No question about it.

Would the Braves trade a potential Hall of Fame candidate before he turns 30? Or spurn possible offers from Boston and others this winter, and start next season with Jones, with or without a contract extension?

If they don't sign him to an extension and they're in a pennant race next summer, it would be nearly impossible to justify trading Jones before the non-waiver deadline at the end of July. Jones could end up signing with another team after next season, and the Braves would get only compensatory draft picks. Not neccesarily a bad thing. The Braves are usually good at drafting. But of course, it's not as good as people who can help right now.

It's an unusual situation with a unique player.

He hit his 40th home run of the season Tuesday, after leading the majors with a career-high 51 in 2005 when he was the MVP runner-up. He's the first Braves player since Hank Aaron to have back-to-back 40-homer seasons, and the only one since the team moved to Atlanta. Not even Hank did it in Atlanta! And it is accepted that he was helped by Atlanta's Launching Pad! Not enough.

He has 341 homers and needs only two more before his birthday April 23 to pass Aaron and Mel Ott for the most homers before age 30. He also has 127 RBIs, after leading the National League with 128 in 2005.

At the end of this season, he will have averaged more than 35 homers for a nine-year span while winning a Gold Glove every season. And he'll win another Gold Glove. I think the voters are stuck in a rut about it at this point.

"He's in a class with some of the greatest of all time," Braves pitcher John Smoltz said. "He shows such brilliance and does it with such ease, and when he's no longer in center field, you're going to see a remarkable difference. It's not going to be easy to replace him. It'd be like replacing Mariano Rivera [as Yankees closer]." Amen. We'll end up replacing him with Ryan Langerhans. Andruw-esque defense but unfortunately, zero power.

When Jones signed his current contract with the Braves, he and his father went directly to Schuerholz, bypassing Boras and negotiating a six-year, $75 million contract that was considered below market price. Jones said Boras called him after that deal was announced to make sure Jones hadn't fired him.

Boras still got his commission, and this time around, Jones said he told Boras he can handle negotiations. Oh boy. Not good. JS will be negotiating with the Devil.

Jones smiled and said, "But who knows, I might end up doing it myself again." I hope you do, because Boras will gaurantee that you won't be in Atlanta in 2007.

Not likely. Jones said Boras is already assembling a thick book that puts Jones' accomplishments into historical perspective, in anticipation of negotiations. Bah. Jones is a historic Brave, no question, but doesn't really have that aura of a historic baseball player.

Jones attained 10-and-5 trade-veto powers in August when he became a 10-year player with five years of service with his current team. A father of two, Jones lives in suburban Atlanta with his Atlanta-native wife and family. He wants his son to grow up in Atlanta and not have to move from city to city. Then why don't you stay here?!

Still, he indicated he wouldn't veto a trade to a desirable team if the Braves approached him. "Because if they want to trade you, they don't want you," he said. Gee, no kidding. You figured that out all by yourself, Sherlock?

Baseball Prospectus recently calculated that Jones' value would drop to about $9 million or $10 million by 2008-09, then decline steadily. The ice packs strapped to his knees and back after games are signs of a diving, wall-crashing player who reached the majors at age 19 and has played more games than anyone since 1997.

Jones insists he would like to play 10 more seasons and remain a center fielder his entire career, like Willie Mays. "But if I have to DH or play first base someday, we'll see," he said. It's gauranteed. If you're beat up so much, you'll end up like Jim Edmonds.

If he plays that long, or anywhere near that long, his statistics could be mind-numbing, and the Braves would be reminded frequently of what they traded away. Wow, just like Andre Thornton, Brook Jacoby and Brett Butler. That wouldn't be new. However, if Andruw gets injured, it'll be the other teams looking like idiots.

Mets left fielder Cliff Floyd shook his head when asked about the Braves possibly trading Jones. He said the difference would affect Atlanta's pitchers as much as it would put a hole in the lineup.

"If you lose him you pretty much ... if your pitching staff is OK, it won't be OK after that," Floyd said. "If your pitching staff is good, they won't be as good without him. And since when is a MET an authority on the situation of the Braves?

"Having him, you're basically allowing a [pitcher] to throw a ball middle-away, and if a guy hits it good, it's still an out unless it goes over the fence. Because he's catching it.

"And he hits 40 home runs a year. So not only does he give you runs, he's taking runs away." Can't agrue with that. It would be hard to replace even 20-30 home runs in the outfield with the Braves. Remember what happened after Andres Galarraga left? We didn't have a real slugging first baseman until Adam LaRoche.

Two knocks on Jones are his streaky hitting and his declining batting average, from .303 in 2000, to .277 in 2003, to the past three seasons of .261, .263 and .264. Chipper Jones said signing Andruw should be a top priority. Schuerholz said that rebuilding the pitching staff tops the Braves' priority list. Now that I think about it, the Braves have two Frenchies in the outfield: the original and Jones. But Jones sends more balls into the outfield stands. So there.

Trading Jones could help fortify the pitching staff, since the Braves would ask for at least one or two pitchers in return. Yes, but they need to be GOOD pitchers

When the Red Sox called before the July 31 trade deadline, Schuerholz asked for 22-year-old left-hander Jon Lester, outfielder Coco Crisp and 22-year-old reliever Craig Hansen.

The Red Sox balked, but they could be interested again this winter.

As may other teams. Wow, what a bad sentence
    46 wins to match last year's total

good article...and your comments are right on! I sure hope we don't trade Andruw because I don't think we can get enough to replace andruw. We would have to get a CF and some good SP's. We probably wouldn't be able to get the same power that andruw gives us.
    4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
    http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
      As may other teams. Wow, what a bad sentence
      It's actually a fragment.
      Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
        It's actually a fragment.
        Yes. And sentence fragments are bad sentences.

Comment

Yes. And sentence fragments are bad sentences.
          Even good sentence fragments still aren't sentences.
          2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
            Even good sentence fragments still aren't sentences.
            Ahem, guys, sentence fragments are not sentences, they are parts of sentences and are considered grammatical errors.
            Cristobal

Comment

Back to the article, I hope Andruw won't be traded because he is the most important part of the team. He rarely gets injured, he plays awesome defense, and you can count on his 30 HR every year. Just imagine if he would have been a middle of the guy hitter his whole career? Possibly 410 HR right now?
              2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

I hate to say this, but I think Andruw is going to take the most lucrative contract offered to him. I think that we should keep him for next year, and then let him go if money is indeed his chief priority. At the end of next year both Smoltz and Andruw will be free agents. That is 13.5 million for Andruw and 8 million for Smoltz totaling 22.5 million freed up after 2007. I think we should use the majority of that money to sign an Ace to lead our rotation. We should have enough left over to sign a decent reliever and a leadoff hitter. We have good pop in the middle of our order. I think getting a leadoff hitter will greatly strengthen our team. If Smoltz decides not to retire then we should definitely make an effort to keep him, but if someone wants to pay Andruw 15 million a year for several years, then it looks like we will be saying good bye.
                "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5
                  I hate to say this, but I think Andruw is going to take the most lucrative contract offered to him. I think that we should keep him for next year, and then let him go if money is indeed his chief priority. At the end of next year both Smoltz and Andruw will be free agents. That is 13.5 million for Andruw and 8 million for Smoltz totaling 22.5 million freed up after 2007. I think we should use the majority of that money to sign an Ace to lead our rotation. We should have enough left over to sign a decent reliever and a leadoff hitter. We have good pop in the middle of our order. I think getting a leadoff hitter will greatly strengthen our team. If Smoltz decides not to retire then we should definitely make an effort to keep him, but if someone wants to pay Andruw 15 million a year for several years, then it looks like we will be saying good bye.
                  True. But if injuries truly are looming, whoever signs Andruw will look like the biggest idiot on the face of the earth. Including the Braves.

Comment

I don't think Andruw will turn out to be a mistake when/if he is re-signed. I can't think (off the top of my head) of any bad moves that Schuerholz has made in the past few years. But, if he's looking for Roger Clemens-type money every year, ADIOS!!
                    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

True. But if injuries truly are looming, whoever signs Andruw will look like the biggest idiot on the face of the earth. Including the Braves.

A long term contract for Andruw could be quite a resk. I've always wondered and will continue to wonder why there are not more incentive based contracts. I mean give a player a small base salary and an opportunity to make big money if he plays in a certain number of games and performs well.
                      "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                      -Casey Stengel

Comment

Don't even think about it and why would you?
                        Keith "Baseball Fanatic" Thronson

Comment

Originally posted by bama50
                          Don't even think about it and why would you?
                          Why would the Braves trade Andruw? Two reasons:

1. We won't be able to afford him.
                          2. He's an injury plague and decline waiting to happen.

Those are the only reasons I can think of to support that. Doesn't mean I believe that, but I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5
                            A long term contract for Andruw could be quite a resk. I've always wondered and will continue to wonder why there are not more incentive based contracts. I mean give a player a small base salary and an opportunity to make big money if he plays in a certain number of games and performs well.
                            Player's union wouldn't go for that probably. I mean, what if a player gets injured? That's a missed opportunity to make more money.

Comment

"I'm under contract to the Braves so I should (be back) if nothing changes," Andruw Jones said. "Everything can happen. I'm going to be a Brave, I'm telling you right now. If it's my decision, I'll be a Brave."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

That tells me a lot. Hey if Andruw wants to stay here and his price tag is whatever it takes within reason to keep him here then I feel very confident he and JS can work something out much like they did before. Boras works for Andruw and not the other way around, and despite the monster agent's urgings otherwise, Andruw may once again remind him of his irrelevance to Andruw's future when it all comes down to it. I hope Andruw will be the one superstar represented by Boras to make the agent do what he wants and have happiness and comfort trump top dollar. I want to see Andruw retire here if at all possible.
                              Let's go Braves!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X