No announcement yet.

Trade Chipper to the AL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are great numbers. I still think he needs to finish strong, to be a first ballot HoF'er. Are those numbers soley for Third Base or for the entire career? I know Chipper has played about 300 games in the OF, but a lot of those guys didn't play third their whole career.
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack
      Those are great numbers. I still think he needs to finish strong, to be a first ballot HoF'er. Are those numbers soley for Third Base or for the entire career? I know Chipper has played about 300 games in the OF, but a lot of those guys didn't play third their whole career.

Those are career numbers (at all positions) for all of those players. I agree with you that Chipper needs to get his counting stats up for first ballot election. However, being first in career slugging percentage is quite impressive. His career OPS+ is 142 which is third behind Mathews (143) and Schmidt (147). If he gets to 1600 RBI and Runs scored then he will be first among players with third as their primary position. He also has a good chance at moving to first in walks and is already third in home runs. He can still play as his 2006 percentage numbers were above his career average. If he can stay healthy he will easily become a first ballot Hall of Famer and could very well get into the argument as one of the greatest third baseman of all time.
      "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
      -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
        I remember that someone tried to downplay that list by saying that Chipper played in an "offensive-friendly" era. So... that means... that shouldn't count as much? :noidea
        Most people in the History forum try to put numbers in context. That means adjusting the numbers so they are fair. There is a lot of talk about context in the history forum, if you would want to check.

Comment

But the park Chipper played in wasn't hitter friendly, so it evens out.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
            But the park Chipper played in wasn't hitter friendly, so it evens out.
            It should. But I still don't understand that "perspective" argument. Are they trying to imply that Chipper is a worse third baseman than Home Run Baker or George Kell?
            Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 10-09-2006, 09:37 AM.
            46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

His WARP3 of 85 is awfully low for someone as highly regarded as he is. Some of this is due to his lack of real defensive skills.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                His WARP3 of 85 is awfully low for someone as highly regarded as he is. Some of this is due to his lack of real defensive skills.
                What is Warp3?
                "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                  I don't dispute that at all. Chipper is regarded as high as he is because of his bat. Some players are like that, we all know it. His lack of defense shouldn't be held too much against him.
                  Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 10-09-2006, 12:37 PM.

Comment

sorry, but if you think that will happen, you need to get your head examined. Chipper Jones will never leave the Braves, and he has said that on multiple occasions.
                    BEWARE OF LONNIE

Comment

Originally posted by bravediehard33
                      sorry, but if you think that will happen, you need to get your head examined. Chipper Jones will never leave the Braves, and he has said that on multiple occasions.
                      I think we've established that now. We've moved on to trying to speculate how JS will convince Andruw Jones to waive his no-trade clause so that we can get something more for him than draft picks.

Comment

I think we've established that now. We've moved on to trying to speculate how JS will convince Andruw Jones to waive his no-trade clause so that we can get something more for him than draft picks.
                        Why does your sig say "Keep Andruw Jones in Atlanta?" When it would be much better to trade him for the highest bidder. I wonder how much Pittsburgh would offer for Andruw. Would they offer Bay or Duke? I kinda think it would be better to trade him before the season because Andruw could get injured or slump in the earlier months of the season and hurt his trade value.
                        4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
                        http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

Originally posted by AznInvasion
                          Why does your sig say "Keep Andruw Jones in Atlanta?" When it would be much better to trade him for the highest bidder. I wonder how much Pittsburgh would offer for Andruw. Would they offer Bay or Duke? I kinda think it would be better to trade him before the season because Andruw could get injured or slump in the earlier months of the season and hurt his trade value.
                          I was upset at the time. I probably should take that out, and I will.

Comment

Schuerholz would have to actually offer arbitration for us to get draft picks.

Comment

Originally posted by bravediehard33
                              You dont know that. At the end of his career if he wants to play one more season and the Braves dont want to pay him anymore, he could go elsewhere as many have done before him.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                                You dont know that. At the end of his career if he wants to play one more season and the Braves dont want to pay him anymore, he could go elsewhere as many have done before him.
                                True, even Dale Murphy said he wouldn't re-sign with Atlanta in 1991, so the Braves had to trade him away for peanuts.

But the impression I get from Chipper is that if he wants to restructure his contract to help the Braves get better, he cares about the team. The ultimate test is this: For a new contract, will he take more money from some other team and have them look like idiots because he will get injured? Or will he stay in Atlanta for less money than $13,666,667?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X