• Show
Clear All

• Giles for Linebrink?

Any thoughts on this proposed deal?

Linebrink would be a nice piece for the pen

Originally posted by L80612
    Any thoughts on this proposed deal?

Linebrink would be a nice piece for the pen
    I don't think he would be. I think he'd be Dan Kolb or Chris Reitsma all over again. He allows a LOT of hits. The Braves need to get someone else with Linebrink. Anybody. Even if it's a cruddy prospect, I don't care. I don't want it straight up.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 11-15-2006, 05:53 PM.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
      I don't think he would be. I think he'd be Dan Kolb or Chris Reitsma all over again. He allows a LOT of hits. The Braves need to get someone else with Linebrink. Anybody. Even if it's a cruddy prospect, I don't care. I don't want it straight up.
      I don't think a straight up deal would be such a bad thing. The main reason I say this is that we would shed the 6 million or so that Giles will make next year.
      "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
      -Casey Stengel

Comment

Huh? How do you get that he gives up a lot of hits? he gave up 70 this year in 75 innings, and 55 hits last year in 73 innings. And his WHIPs the last 3 years are 1.21, 1.05, 1.03. All good WHIPs.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
          Huh? How do you get that he gives up a lot of hits? he gave up 70 this year in 75 innings, and 55 hits last year in 73 innings. And his WHIPs the last 3 years are 1.21, 1.05, 1.03. All good WHIPs.
          Eh, I guess I had his 2006 2nd half stats stuck in my head.

I just think it's not a good idea to do something like that after Reitsma and Kolb.

Comment

I don't think Reitsma or Kolb has ever been good though except for Kolb's one good year in Milwaukee I can't think of anything else. Linebrink is more proven than either of those two. How about Scott Shields?
            4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
            http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

Originally posted by AznInvasion
              I don't think Reitsma or Kolb has ever been good though except for Kolb's one good year in Milwaukee I can't think of anything else. Linebrink is more proven than either of those two. How about Scott Shields?
              I guess I'm very uneasy with the fact that Linebrink hasn't pitched much at all. Sure, he's good, but really, he's going to have to pitch more in Atlanta.

I like Shields a little better. He's basically Linebrink, but has proven he can pitch more innings, which is what I think the Braves need.

Comment

I guess I'm very uneasy with the fact that Linebrink hasn't pitched much at all. Sure, he's good, but really, he's going to have to pitch more in Atlanta.

I like Shields a little better. He's basically Linebrink, but has proven he can pitch more innings, which is what I think the Braves need.

The Angels just paid over $4 million per year for the next four years so that Shields wont have to pitch so many innings. Ideally, you dont want your setup men having to pitch more than about 70 to 75 innings. The Braves and Bobby Cox have had such a hard time finding reliable guys in the bullpen over the last few seasons, though, that they've had to overwork the one or two good relievers they do have. It's out of a lack of alternatives, not by design that they've used certain guys for so many innings.

I think Linebrink would be a great addition to this team. He had a bad second half last year by his standards, but before that he had been the best setup man in baseball since about 2003. He throws hard, which we need coming in late in games, and he strikes out a lot of batters. We're certainly not going to give up on acquiring any relievers because of Reitsma and Kolb's struggles. Probably the only reason we haven't already acquired Linebrink is because his value has gone up since the Speier deal and if SD is going to trade him, they want to see what the most they can get out of some team seeking bullpen help will be. They may well get more than just a Marcus Giles type player from some team. We'll see if JS is willing to give up much more than Marcus to get probably the best reliever known to be available via trade.
                Let's go Braves!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X