Forget Glavine coming back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget Glavine coming back...

... unless he really wants to live with his family in Atlanta.

Mets supposedly ready with 2 yr./$22 million offer
    46 wins to match last year's total

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan

crap. ,
    Stay Away From Downed Power Lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarheelfan44
      crap. ,
      Hey, it's not all bad. I say egg's on their face the second Glavine runs out of juice.

Comment

According to Newsday, Tom Glavine is no longer expected to tell the Mets where he wants to pitch next year prior to his previous Sunday deadline.
        If he's extending the deadline to next week, it's another sign that he really would prefer to pitch in Atlanta. He knows exactly what the Mets have to offer, and all indications are that they want him more than the Braves do. Also, they have the better chance of going to the World Series. It's a no-brainer in baseball terms.
        This was just released.

Comment

Originally posted by DravenX
          This was just released.
          *nods* A no-brainer in baseball terms? Yeah, but it isn't a no-brainer in emotional terms, that's the key to this whole thing.

Comment

I know he really wants to be in Atlanta, but the money talks and the Mets are showing him big amounts. I'm hoping home cooking rules over money. (doubt it)
            2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
              I know he really wants to be in Atlanta, but the money talks and the Mets are showing him big amounts. I'm hoping home cooking rules over money. (doubt it)
              It all goes back to his family, I think.

Comment

Two things Jon Schuerholz has to consider. The first is that the term "no-trade clause" isn't in his vocabulary. Glavine has repeatedly said to both the New York and Atlanta papers that a no-trade clause would kill any contract (hence, why everybody's still wondering about this...Atlanta hasn't tendered an offer to Glavine). The Newsday report posted above appears to be false; literally all other sources, including those generally considered official, expect not just a decision from Tom Glavine before the deadline, but LATER ON TODAY! Oh, I haven't mentioned the second thing that the Mets will do, that Schuerholz has to consider. The Mets would, after tonight, give Glavine salary arbitration (seemingly no matter what). This means that whichever team signs him would give up their second-round draft pick. The Mets have made it pretty clear that they'd be willing to sacrifice their second round pick for Glavine (who, if he was retained, would likely be kept around to continue working with the two top pitching prospects in the organization: Phil Humber and Mike Pelfrey). Would the Braves be willing to give up their second round pick? I'm not saying it's good bad or indifferent...I don't know.
                "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Eh, I made my point. Now we wait.

Comment

We didn't have to wait long.

Glavine says he's returning to Mets
                    Left-hander had been considering return to Braves

By DAVID O'BRIEN
                    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/01/06

Tom Glavine's flirtation with the Braves is over and he's decided to return for a fifth season with the New York Mets, the veteran left-hander confirmed this afternoon to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

It's believed to be a one-year contract, though Glavine didn't get into details in a brief conversation. An announcement by the Mets was expected shortly.

Glavine is 10 wins shy of being the 23rd pitcher to reach 300, and had hoped to come back to Atlanta to get those 10 wins with the team he was with for his first 242 wins during 1987-2002.

But the Braves, with less need for a top starter and less money to spend for one, couldn't compete with the Mets' offer, believed to be worth at least $11 million.

Glavine notched five 20-win seasons won two Cy Young Awards with the Braves, and was also the 1995 World Series MVP.

After struggling for 2-1/2 seasons with the Mets, he revamped his approach and was 26-14 with a 3.22 ERA in his past 53 starts, including 2-1 with a 1.59 ERA in three during the 2007 postseason.

He was 15-7 with a 3.82 ERA and 198 innings pitched in 32 starts during the regular season.

The Mets told Glavine they'd wait while he explored returning to the Braves. He still lives in Alpharetta and desired to be home during the baseball season instead of flying his family to New York on weekends and visiting them on the Mets' days off.

Comment

I was hoping we would get Glavine but I had my doubts and I had a bad feeling we wouldn't be able to afford him.

Comment

Braves and the Mets for Tommy boy

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan

I don't feel sorry for Tom..and his so called problems about not being with his family as the season unfolds..If he really wanted to spend more time with his family, Tom would have taken the Braves offer, unless it was some ungodly lowball offer..He's made a ton of money in his career, and hopefully, has been smart in investing it..and so on..At this point in his career, how much money does he need or want ? and if it's worth it to him to take ' x ' number of less millions, to have the luxury of being home with his family, and ending up with the Braves, then he should take it..If not, then take the high ball offer from the Mets, and quit musing about playing in the big apple...Tom can't have it both ways..the big money, and home with the family..No doubt, the Braves don't have a lot of money to spend for FA's, as they are re tooling..and Time-warner is limiting how much money the club can spend..unlike the Mets, who's checkbook is wide open..myself, I would have taken lesser money to spend my last season or two in the show, with the braves, and with the family..then again, whether or not the braves get back ,depends how what the club can land..and what help they have down on the farm..

Tom might want another shot for a series ring...and the Mets are probably the best club to do so..in the NL...

Comment

Well, here's to seeing Tom Glavine getting his 300th win as a member of the Mets.
                          2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
                            Well, here's to seeing Tom Glavine getting his 300th win as a member of the Mets.
                            Here's to the braves crushing Glavine from here on out...
                            4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
                            http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

For one thing, it WAS some ungodly lowball offer...7 million, maybe 8 million from what I'm seeing. The former is HALF his club option this year, and 4 million less than what the Mets gave him (11 million for a year, plus an option). Schuerholz also refused the one thing that I had never doubted would keep Glavine away from the Braves...the all-important no-trade clause. I'm convinced if he'd included it, and maybe upped Glavine's salary to 9 million or 10 million, Glavine would have returned to Atlanta. He also reportedly wants another ring, and hence signed with the Mets (who he believes stand a better shot at the WS than the Braves).
                              "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                              -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X