-=- Offseason Transactions Thread -=-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -=- Offseason Transactions Thread -=-

Let's try this again Hopefully the evil MB monsters won't eat it this time.

Signed
    Bob Wickman - Re-signed for 1 year contract (September 20th) (Link)
    John Smoltz - Re-signed for 1 year contract (September 21st) (Link)
    Tanyon Sturtze - Signed for 1 year contract from Yankees (December 3rd) (Link)
    Rafael Soriano - Traded for Horacio Ramirez (December 7th) (Link)
    Chris Woodward - Signed for 1 year contract from Mets (December 20th) (Link)
    Mike Gonzalez - Traded for Adam Laroche from Pirates (January 17th) (Link)
    Craig Wilson - Signed for 1 year contract (January 18th) (Link)

Traded / Released
    John Foster - Released (October 11th) (Link)
    Wayne Franklin - Free Agent (October 11th) (Link)
    Ken Ray - Claimed off waivers by Royals (October 10th) (Link)
    Horacio Ramirez - Traded to Mariners (December 7th) (Link)
    Marcus Giles - Not re-signed (December 12th) (Link)
    Chris Reitsma - Not re-signed (December 12th) (Link)
    Adam Laroche - Traded to Pirates (January 17th) (Link)

I'll try to update this as often as possible. Please message me or post in the thread if there is an update I'm missing or if something is incorrect. Also, I am not including minor league transactions.
    Last edited by Tomahawk Dynasty; 02-04-2007, 07:58 PM.
    1914 Boston Braves
    July 5th: 15 games back.
    October 13th: World Series Champs
    (Anything is possible)
    GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Click Here (It's all you need to get fired up about the Braves).

Ok lets get a new discussion going in here. We have added a setup man and subtracted a 2B this offseason. We could still use another veteran reliever, preferably a lefty, a leadoff hitter, and a right handed bat for the bench. We might also could use one more starting pitcher to give us enough depth to allow Davies to start the year at AAA if he needs to. Tony Armas Jr has always been a Bobby Cox favorite and is a free agent who might fit in the Braves budget as a 5th starter.

How would you fill those needs? Which ones can just be filled internally this spring?

It seems apparent that LaRoche is our most valuable trading chip this offseason. None of us really want to trade him, but if other teams keep asking about him, JS has to listen. He has needs to fill and does have another first baseman in Thorman if he finds a deal that helps us enough to offset LaRoche's loss.

New rumor is we may be talking to the Orioles again about LaRoche for Brian Roberts. Perhaps management there has convinced the owner to let them trade Roberts if they can get LaRoche. Can't see JS doing that without getting a pitcher like Hayden Penn also though. Roberts gives us our leadoff hitter and would be a veteran to team with Thorman on the right side of the infield.

Some other names available we are still looking at include the much discussed Mike Gonzalez and Rocco Baldelli. If a suitor for Andruw Jones comes along that could still be the blockbuster of the offseason if we decide to trade him. Of course if we have any hope that ownership will raise payroll and allow us to keep him then we can't trade him. So that will be a critical decision if a good offer for him comes along prior to April.

The Blue Jays are open to trading young LF Alex Rios for a starting pitcher. Should we look into trading Hudson for him and let him handle our leadoff role?

Ok let's get this thread rolling again! :radio
    Last edited by ATL22; 12-17-2006, 02:22 PM.
    Let's go Braves!!

Comment

what about trading Laroche for Roberts and a P (Penn perhaps) then going out and signing a guy like Craig Wilson or Eduardo Perez to fill in if Thorman can't live up to expectations. I think someone like Huff would be more than they want to spend on a free agent 1B.

Or

If we feel we can't sign Andruw or ownership doesn't want to give out the cash to do so, trade him to Texas for Kinsler and a P (perhaps Danks, Volquez or Diamond).

Just throwing out ideas. I really don't want to see Laroche or Andruw go but I get the feeling neither will be here next year.

The only thing I don't like about Armas Jr is he isn't really an innings eater. Although as your 5th starter you may not need him to go as long as others.
      Baseball Journeyman

Comment

The Rios-Hudson trade sounds intriguing, but I'm wondering it Mike Hampton can rebound and be a #2 starter. I can't really see the Braves making any more deals. I'm thinking the spots will be filled in spring training.
        2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

I REALLY think we should can the talk of trading Andruw. I don't think he's going to waive his no-trade clause. He has no reason to. I think we'll have to live with just getting draft picks for him. Or hold out hope that he thinks that $7 million more in pay a year doesn't matter and he'll stay here.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by ATL22

The Blue Jays are open to trading young LF Alex Rios for a starting pitcher. Should we look into trading Hudson for him and let him handle our leadoff role?
            Only if you want Lance Cormier to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
              The Rios-Hudson trade sounds intriguing, but I'm wondering it Mike Hampton can rebound and be a #2 starter. I can't really see the Braves making any more deals. I'm thinking the spots will be filled in spring training.
              *ding ding ding* Thaaaaaaat's right.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
                I can't really see the Braves making any more deals. I'm thinking the spots will be filled in spring training.
                If we don't, it's not going to be for a lack of effort. I think JS is still very active on the phones trying to make this team better going into spring training. I'd be pretty shocked if we don't do anything else to improve this roster before March. As I mentioned before, this team still has several needs. We need another veteran reliever to go with Soriano. We don't want Bobby overworking him, and the rest of the guys out there are still somewhat unknown commodities. Without another vet to add depth we're just an injury away from having last year's pen all over again. We also need a LF and a leadoff hitter and could really use another starter so we don't have to re-live last year's nightmare of guys like Travis Smith, Kevin Barry, Jason Shiell, and Lance Cormier starting games for us.

I'm really not content with having a rookie or virtual rookie (KJ) at 2B and also having Langy/Diaz in LF. That's just not championship caliber to me. Plus we have no viable leadoff candidate on our roster right now. Edgar Renteria does not want that job any more than Giles did, and it would hurt our lineup to take him out of the 2 hole that he is so perfect for. So that's why I think JS is still looking into Brian Roberts and may continue to try to get Baldelli. That may even be why Melky Cabrera's name has been mentioned in rumors involving the Braves. We have holes at 2B and LF and every player who we have been rumored to be interested in at those positions either is or can be a leadoff hitter. That tells me JS sees it as pretty important to fill the leadoff hole from outside the organization.

With all the rumors surrounding LaRoche and how high his trade value is, I won't be surprised at all to see him traded to fill more than one need. I expect if we trade him it will be for a leadoff hitter and a pitcher who can help out no later than next year. JS made a big deal about wanting to get this team back on top after last year's bitter season and to me losing Giles, signing Sturtze, and trading for Soriano is not enough. I expect at least one more significant move, likely involving LaRoche, but at the very least to get another veteran arm in here.
                Let's go Braves!!

Comment

If we don't, it's not going to be for a lack of effort. I think JS is still very active on the phones trying to make this team better going into spring training. I'd be pretty shocked if we don't do anything else to improve this roster before March. As I mentioned before, this team still has several needs. We need another veteran reliever to go with Soriano. We don't want Bobby overworking him, and the rest of the guys out there are still somewhat unknown commodities. Without another vet to add depth we're just an injury away from having last year's pen all over again. We also need a LF and a leadoff hitter and could really use another starter so we don't have to re-live last year's nightmare of guys like Travis Smith, Kevin Barry, Jason Shiell, and Lance Cormier starting games for us.

I'm really not content with having a rookie or virtual rookie (KJ) at 2B and also having Langy/Diaz in LF. That's just not championship caliber to me. Plus we have no viable leadoff candidate on our roster right now. Edgar Renteria does not want that job any more than Giles did, and it would hurt our lineup to take him out of the 2 hole that he is so perfect for. So that's why I think JS is still looking into Brian Roberts and may continue to try to get Baldelli. That may even be why Melky Cabrera's name has been mentioned in rumors involving the Braves. We have holes at 2B and LF and every player who we have been rumored to be interested in at those positions either is or can be a leadoff hitter. That tells me JS sees it as pretty important to fill the leadoff hole from outside the organization.

With all the rumors surrounding LaRoche and how high his trade value is, I won't be surprised at all to see him traded to fill more than one need. I expect if we trade him it will be for a leadoff hitter and a pitcher who can help out no later than next year. JS made a big deal about wanting to get this team back on top after last year's bitter season and to me losing Giles, signing Sturtze, and trading for Soriano is not enough. I expect at least one more significant move, likely involving LaRoche, but at the very least to get another veteran arm in here.
                  I think the least of the worries should be on a leadoff hitter. I think too much emphasis is put on a "typical" leadoff guy. They proved last year they don't need a prototypical leadoff guy to have a good offense. Does it help a team? Sure but you can't drop further off in other areas which are more critical IMO.
                  Baseball Journeyman

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
                    I REALLY think we should can the talk of trading Andruw. I don't think he's going to waive his no-trade clause. He has no reason to. I think we'll have to live with just getting draft picks for him. Or hold out hope that he thinks that $7 million more in pay a year doesn't matter and he'll stay here.
                    Just wait. If the Braves don't turn things around from last year, he'll be a lot more open to it later in the year. Besides isn't that what the offseason is all about, talking about what "could" happen? Nobody knows what is going through Andruw's mind and we just might end up with nothing more than draft picks but you never know. Shoot we might even resign him. :gt
                    Baseball Journeyman

Comment

Originally posted by TheJourneyman
                      Just wait. If the Braves don't turn things around from last year, he'll be a lot more open to it later in the year. Besides isn't that what the offseason is all about, talking about what "could" happen? Nobody knows what is going through Andruw's mind and we just might end up with nothing more than draft picks but you never know. Shoot we might even resign him. :gt
                      By some kind of miracle.

You know, this entire off-season has been screwy. We only need to improve on one thing: pitching. But JS seems intent on taking away one of the most important cogs of our inefficient but powerful offense because:

1. Bobby Cox needs a security blanket in a "fast" leadoff hitter.
                      2. Someone in the organization is convinced that Scott Thorman can start at first right now.

Comment

Laroche for 2B who can leadoff and a 5th starter is a viable trade option. Also LF and another RP would be viable. There are still a few FA 1B out there like someone said in Craig Wilson and Aubrey Huff. I don't know about Thorman starting already. If Thorman starts, who's the backup?
                        4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
                        http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
                          By some kind of miracle.

You know, this entire off-season has been screwy. We only need to improve on one thing: pitching. But JS seems intent on taking away one of the most important cogs of our inefficient but powerful offense because:

1. Bobby Cox needs a security blanket in a "fast" leadoff hitter.
                          2. Someone in the organization is convinced that Scott Thorman can start at first right now.

By your own admission this offense is inefficient so one way to change that is to trade a little power for more contact and speed. That's what JS is doing, but not only that. I'd be shocked if he trades his most valuable chip in LaRoche without getting a pitcher as well as a hitter. Pitching is still the priority. And yes, some of the great baseball minds in the organization must think Thorman can handle 1B every day or at least platoon with a Craig Wilson type. I know Bobby is in that group.

We don't need a typical leadoff hitter. Yes, we did fine offensively with Giles last year. But right now we don't have Giles or anyone who is even as qualified as he was to hit leadoff. We're not after a "prototypical" leadoff hitter. We just want someone who could handle hitting leadoff, period! That's why in trade talks I think JS is looking at guys like Baldelli, Roberts, and Cabrera who are at least capable of leading off. They're not all prototypical #1 hitters. But they all could do the job better than anybody we have right now, and that is important. But JS still values pitching most, so if he's gonna trade LaRoche for a leadoff guy expect some kind of pitcher to be coming with him, who will be of equal importance in the deal.
                          Let's go Braves!!

Comment

By your own admission this offense is inefficient so one way to change that is to trade a little power for more contact and speed. That's what JS is doing, but not only that. I'd be shocked if he trades his most valuable chip in LaRoche without getting a pitcher as well as a hitter. Pitching is still the priority. And yes, some of the great baseball minds in the organization must think Thorman can handle 1B every day or at least platoon with a Craig Wilson type. I know Bobby is in that group.
                            But that's BAD. You saw how bad Thorman was last year. Do you think he's going to improve right now? He'll make Frenchy look like the best batting eye in the world.

We don't need a typical leadoff hitter. Yes, we did fine offensively with Giles last year. But right now we don't have Giles or anyone who is even as qualified as he was to hit leadoff. We're not after a "prototypical" leadoff hitter. We just want someone who could handle hitting leadoff, period! That's why in trade talks I think JS is looking at guys like Baldelli, Roberts, and Cabrera who are at least capable of leading off. They're not all prototypical #1 hitters. But they all could do the job better than anybody we have right now, and that is important. But JS still values pitching most, so if he's gonna trade LaRoche for a leadoff guy expect some kind of pitcher to be coming with him, who will be of equal importance in the deal.
                            But the most prelavent rumors docked off the pitcher. No Scott Proctor. No Hayden Penn even. The Braves would utterly lose ANY trade they do with LaRoche.
                            Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 12-18-2006, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Roberts is a very capable leadoff hitter. Baldelli hasn't lead off much but I can see him doing well in that role. Melky I'm not sure. If we do trade for a leadoff hitter, I hope it's either roberts or baldelli. Otherwise, we'd probably be better off with who we have now.
                              4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
                              http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X