Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
    I'll accept whatever it takes to keep a good offensive player on our team. The departure of Andruw Jones is approaching us and we're going to need some guys that can pick up where he left off.
    We probably can. He does only bat .270 at best, and anyone with any talent stuck in the middle of that lineup and gets as many RBI chances as Andruw did will drive in people. Heck, Francoeur would, though if he has -1.0 VORP syndrome again...
    46 wins to match last year's total

    Comment


    • #32
      If Salty plays left isn't some of his skill wasted?
      "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

      "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
        If Salty plays left isn't some of his skill wasted?
        No. Being stuck behind Brian McCann would be a waste. Only having Matt Diaz and Ryan Langerhans standing between you and a major league job? I'd take that.
        Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 01-10-2007, 04:36 PM.
        46 wins to match last year's total

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
          No. Being stuck behind Brian McCann would be a waste. Only having Matt Diaz and Ryan Langerhans standing between you and a major league job? I'd take that.

          Langerhans is VERY solid defensively though
          "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

          "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
            Langerhans is VERY solid defensively though
            True, but Salty's offensive capablities override his possible defensive shortcomings in left, which makes him a better choice in left than Langerhans.
            2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
              True, but Salty's offensive capablities override his possible defensive shortcomings in left, which makes him a better choice in left than Langerhans.
              Langerhans is a good defensive replacement anyway.
              46 wins to match last year's total

              Comment


              • #37
                We may have trade for a center fielder and Salty would be perfect bait. Or he could play 1st base, we certainly don't have that locked up. Then he'd be around as our 3rd catcher if anything happened.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by canadianbrave
                  We may have trade for a center fielder and Salty would be perfect bait. Or he could play 1st base, we certainly don't have that locked up. Then he'd be around as our 3rd catcher if anything happened.
                  Andruw's probably going to play out the season, I don't see him getting traded unless the Braves are so far out of contention that it's time to be a contestant on "Dump the Salary!".

                  With first base, it all depends on how Scott Thorman does. If he does terrible, then yes, Salty could be a first baseman.

                  For all intents and purposes, Saltalamacchia needs to spend a full season in Richmond before he's ready, with any position.
                  46 wins to match last year's total

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
                    For all intents and purposes, Saltalamacchia needs to spend a full season in Richmond before he's ready, with any position.
                    It'll be intersting where they play him in the spring.
                    Baseball Journeyman

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I'd like to see them experiment with him, but not at the cost of his health or talent.
                      2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
                        I'd like to see them experiment with him, but not at the cost of his health or talent.
                        Hear hear, though I don't exactly see what playing first base would do to his catching talent, if he has any that's better than McCann.
                        46 wins to match last year's total

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
                          I don't know, I've never seen them both. McCann is all right defensively, except when he's tired.

                          I'd assume they're about the same. I still think that Salty needs a little more time in the minors anyway; his AA injury-affected line was .230/.353/.380. Class A+ is different than AA, is it not?
                          His .353 OBP actually was not that bad.

                          His average probably dropped because of injuries, I'd keep him in AA again and if he falters, send him back to High-A.

                          This move would however delay his development though.
                          Cristobal

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
                            His .353 OBP actually was not that bad.

                            His average probably dropped because of injuries, I'd keep him in AA again and if he falters, send him back to High-A.

                            This move would however delay his development though.
                            I know it's not. I like that OBP.

                            I think he's going to go to Richmond and get some starts at first base. I doubt the Braves want to give him up, because if they did, I bet it would be Andy Marte all over again.
                            46 wins to match last year's total

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X