• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaRoche Speaks Out

LaRoche says streak was taken for granted

By DAVID O'BRIEN
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 02/02/07

Two weeks after he was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates, former Braves first baseman Adam LaRoche talked about spending his first three years in the majors with a team whose fans and players, he believes, took for granted a run of 14 consecutive division titles. "They got spoiled, and they've got to know that," LaRoche said of the fans. "Somebody's got to have told them by now. They were spoiled, and we were spoiled as players."

He also shared his thoughts on:
    • Leaving behind his old teammates and manager Bobby Cox.
    "Those [Braves] are basically my brothers. Bobby tried calling me three or four times, and I finally got in touch with him a couple days ago. He said what you'd expect —— 'It was a great three years, sorry we had to do it, loved you here.' That was neat to hear."

• Helping his new team learn to win.
    "It's going to be fun. It's not going to be easy. Their goal right now is about change. It's almost like their goal is to try to be a .500 team, then try to get to the playoffs later. They don't know whether it takes three years or five years. In my opinion, they need to get the .500 thing out of their heads and go for the playoffs. "They want to win, but I think nobody's real sure how to do it. They're looking for a couple of guys to come in and show them. That's going to be the fun part."

• His replacement, rookie Scott Thorman.

"He's going to fit right in, where he's pulling for guys and everybody's liking him. It's going to be up to him in between the lines. It's hard for anybody to say what'll happen right away at the big-league level. "He's had some at-bats, but it's a different comfort level when you're going to be playing a lot, when you know you're going to be out there getting your at-bats every day."

• Being on the team that ended the streak.
    "Those last three weeks [of the season] we pretty much realized we were not going to be there, and I was saying, 'Maybe this is what we need, to give us a chance to sit back and realize how lucky we were, and that it's not going to be easy in the future.' How that should make us realize we needed to do everything we can to put the best team on the field —— not be so conscious of the budget issue all the time, although I know it's easy to spend somebody else's money."

• The Braves' future.
    "I hope [Atlanta fans] get fired up the way I heard they were six or seven years ago, or however long it was, where they truly are pulling for the team and it's not going to be 50-50 [mix] at the park, with some fans just coming out to be at a ballgame."That's hard for 14 years when you get in the playoffs and [with some fans] it's like, 'Let's hurry up and get the season over, get back in the playoffs.' Now I think they realize it's not that easy, like, 'What they did there was pretty incredible and we need to back them more.'"

Peh. The Braves' streak should have stopped in 2001. Taken for granted, my foot.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
      Peh. The Braves' streak should have stopped in 2001. Taken for granted, my foot.
      That was the year with Philly!! I just knew it was over then, the Phillies were very hot, but the Braves pulled it out that year.
      2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
        That was the year with Philly!! I just knew it was over then, the Phillies were very hot, but the Braves pulled it out that year.
        The Braves really were scrambling for bodies that year too. Caminiti, Gilkey, Franco, Abbott, Brogna, the list goes on. Ken Caminiti, for God's sake!

I don't know how the heck they mustered enough starting pitching behind Maddux, Glavine and Burkett. The bullpen was okay, sure, but dang, the Braves really pulled that one out of nowhere.

Comment

Those are the years that define greatness. You may not have the pieces to win, but some how you pull it out. I'm thinking a ton of luck was involved too.
          2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
            Those are the years that define greatness. You may not have the pieces to win, but some how you pull it out. I'm thinking a ton of luck was involved too.
            Dang right.

Comment

Since Adam wasn't here before 2004, his opinions about "the streak" is probably based on what he percieved about that run. All he probably knows is how the regular season ended all those years and not what it took every year to win the division.

Comment

Heck, look at 1991. How'd the streak even start? We had a lot of "who the hell is this guy?" on our team.

A lot of people look at our roster and make assumptions but forget that we still have Bobby Cox. He turns crap into gold.
                1914 Boston Braves
                July 5th: 15 games back.
                October 13th: World Series Champs
                (Anything is possible)
                GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Click Here (It's all you need to get fired up about the Braves).

Comment

Originally posted by Tomahawk Dynasty
                  Heck, look at 1991. How'd the streak even start? We had a lot of "who the hell is this guy?" on our team.

A lot of people look at our roster and make assumptions but forget that we still have Bobby Cox. He turns crap into gold.
                  Oh, these are some veteran pitching castoffs from other teams (Rick Mahler and Dan Petry were both picked up during the year). We'll sign good-field no-hit guys (Pendleton and Belliard). A few more free agents... trade for a speedster, sign another speedster and keep the veteran outfielder around and watch them squabble for playing time (REALLY bad in 1992). And we have our super-young and talented pitching staff.

We got a World Series appearance out of it all.
                  Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 02-04-2007, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X