McCann vs. Salty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCann vs. Salty

I love Salty, we need to make him first baseman, he is a great hitter. But that said, Bobby needs to play McCann everyday, he is right now, and maybe altogether, a better hitter. It makes me pretty mad to see McCann not in the lineup.

Originally posted by foxxx View Post
    I love Salty, we need to make him first baseman, he is a great hitter. But that said, Bobby needs to play McCann everyday, he is right now, and maybe altogether, a better hitter. It makes me pretty mad to see McCann not in the lineup.
    McCann has been nursing a sore ankle for the past few days. That is why Saltalamacchia has been in the lineup so frequently. I am not quite ready to give up on Thorman yet, but I would not mind seeing Salty get some time at first base. However, I think at some point trying McCann at first might be an option. I like what I have seen from Salty behind the plate, especially his arm. I agree with you completely that McCann's bat needs to be in the lineup as often as possible.
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

Comment

I agree with you cbenson. Moving McCann to 1st base may be the better option than moving Salty to 1st. McCann has been injury prone in his time in the majors. Moving him to 1st base may erase the pounding he takes at catcher. Does anybody know if he has every played at 1st?
      2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

I gotta disagree with moving McCann being the better option. There are a few reasons for keeping him at catcher then moving him.

1. Salty has played first before. I have never heard of McCann playing first he may have but it has been a while. Also Salty still takes grounders at first while I have never heard of McCann doing so. Also in my opinion McCann does not have the "shape" to play first people make out first like it is a cake walk but there are times when a 1B needs to make diving catches and dig it out which you have to be in good shape to do that.

2. Smoltz this is one of the key reasons I can't see him moving to first. Smoltz has shown he want McCann calling his games and has a lot of confidence in him and when a Hall of Famer says he wants you calling his game he knows what he is talking about.

3. Salty's height is a disadvantage in the long run. Tall catchers over the long hall will have there bodies where down a lot faster then a shorter one. Lets also not make out McCann having one finger problem as injury prone. All catchers get banged up it is what you deal with as a catcher there is no way to stop that. Salty is healthy right now but he will be grinded down just like any other catcher will be. Salty moving to first might allow him to play for an extra 3 to 5 years of not being behind the plate.

Those are the reasons I can think of right now that the Braves would be very unlikely to move McCann to first over Salty. Salty is a great hitter and Thorman should be worried because unless he starts picking it up he is going to lose his job.
        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

I'll give an answer to each one of your valid points.

1. When you elude to McCann's "shape" you have to remember it takes him being in shape to play catcher maybe more than it does to play 1st base. I'm not trying to downplay the rigors of 1st by suggesting the Braves moving him there. From my research he hasn't played any 1st in his career.

2. True, Smoltz does enjoy having McCann behind the plate, but in my opinion Jarrod Saltalamacchia has a better arm and better footwork than McCann. Obviously, my opinion doesn't matter, but as long as the pitchers are comfortable with who is behind the plate I'm happy.

3. Both players are similar in stature, but not body type, Salty is the more muscular fellow while McCann is not. McCann has the advantage of staying at catcher because, (1) he's the incumbent and (2) Salty is more athletic than he is making him eligible for a move.

Three players and two positions. I'm thinking Salty has his hands on the 1st base job. But, then again Scott Thorman isn't the trade bait that could get the Braves a starter. We'll see how this turns out.
          2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

I can understand all of your counterpoints and I too don't think Thorman will bring in anything but another prospect but then again who thought they could get Wickman for Max Ramirez. If you package Thorman with a prospect or two he might be able to bring in someone that is good enough for a number 3 starter but not much else. Thorman needs to really start picking it up and hopefully Salty hitting so well will put a fire under his butt.
            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Here's something scary in the 2007 season. Compare Brian McCann and Jeff Francoeur's lines:

Brian: .278/.340/.417
              Jeff: .282/.332/.447

Brian still has the edge on Jeff in plate discipline, but he's being outslugged by Jeff. Scary.
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

That is true but that could also be due to McCann's injury and how it sucked a lot of power out of his swing when he was playing through it.
                Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                  That is true but that could also be due to McCann's injury and how it sucked a lot of power out of his swing when he was playing through it.
                  Then Saltalamacchia needs to start and McCann needs to get well!!
                  46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

On TBS they said they spoke to him and that his finger is fine now but it got him into bad habits trying to protect that finger from pain and he is trying to get out of those habits.
                    Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Wow, some great points, but we all know were Salty really belongs...in a Red Sox uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kyle- View Post
                        Wow, some great points, but we all know were Salty really belongs...in a Red Sox uniform.
                        If they are willing to give up Jon Lester and another player then maybe he will be in Sox uniform. I know my dad would love to see him being the future behind captain Jason.
                        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                          If they are willing to give up Jon Lester and another player then maybe he will be in Sox uniform. I know my dad would love to see him being the future behind captain Jason.
                          Haha I doubt it will happen though, I would like it a lot. I wouldn't mind giving up Lester and Crisp/Pena for him

Comment

The Braves may take Crisp but not Wily Mo considering they have someone that hits the ball a mile but strikes out too much in Andruw. I was thinking more Jacoby Ellsbury and Lester for Salty but I doubt the Red Sox would ever do that.
                            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Obviously the Braves, if they traded Salty, would take a pitcher, offense (however slumping it may be right now) is not a problem the Braves have to worry about. I heard a Mark Beurhle rumor, but I wouldn't trade Salty for a rental, Escobar however. . . .

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X