Andruw Jones: Who Cares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andruw Jones: Who Cares?

I can't wait to see this guy go. I know that this year is extremely uncharacteristic of him, and it is not soley his poor performance that makes me wish he was gone. With the rise of two new fantastic rookies, Salty and Escobar, there really is no need for Andruw Jones.

I cannot wait until next year (or if we trade Andruw this year), Andruw is already replacable from within the team. After Andruw is gone we can move Franceour to center, Kelly Johnson to right, and put Escobar at second. Also hopefully Salty will be full time at first. After that, our lineup should look something like this:

1: RF Kelly Johnson
    2: SS Edgar Renteria
    3: 3B Chipper Jones
    4: CF Jeff Franceour
    5: C Brian McCann
    6: 1B Jarrod Saltalammachia
    7: 2B Yunel Escobar
    8: LF Matt Diaz/Willie Harris
    9: Pitcher

Bench: Scott Thorman, Pete Orr, Chris Woodward, Harris/Diaz

That is a stacked lineup, I say why wait, someone is desperate enough to take Andruw right now (maybe) if we can find something good for him (like a starting pitcher) I say take it.

Hey Foxxx

That would be a good lineup. I would certainly like to see Escobar and Salty in the lineup everyday. However, as we have discussed before, Andruw is a ten/five player. He has the right to reject any trade. My understanding is that Andruw has said he will use this privilege if the Braves attempt to trade him. Also, a hitter with an OBP below .300 a batting average right around .200, and a slugging percentage below .400 is going to be hard to move. What kind of talent could we get for Andruw?

Charles
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5 View Post
      Hey Foxxx

That would be a good lineup. I would certainly like to see Escobar and Salty in the lineup everyday. However, as we have discussed before, Andruw is a ten/five player. He has the right to reject any trade. My understanding is that Andruw has said he will use this privilege if the Braves attempt to trade him. Also, a hitter with an OBP below .300 a batting average right around .200, and a slugging percentage below .400 is going to be hard to move. What kind of talent could we get for Andruw?

Charles
      That has been my contention for a while now. We should be able to get something for him if he accepts a trade. After all, this suckiness isn't normal. I would like to see him go, but I doubt we could get anything top-notch for him, which sucks.
      Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 07-04-2007, 11:51 AM.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
        That has been my contention for a while now. We should be able to get something for him if he accepts a trade. After all, this suckiness isn't normal. I would like to see him go, but I doubt we could get anything top-notch for him, which sucks.
        The Yankees would pay a nice sum i'm sure.
        Originally posted by Domenic
        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
          The Yankees would pay a nice sum i'm sure.
          That's true. There are teams out there that like mediocore ballplayers with massive salaries. I'm sure they would give us Farnsworth .
          In all seriousness, as Sam said, all we would get is a middle reliever or another 30 year old ballplayer that is not performing particularly well. I don't even think the Yankees would trade a quality prospect or a good starting pitcher (not sure they even have one) for Andruw.

Even Scott Boras will have a hard time putting a good spin on Andruw's performance this year.

Charles
          "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
          -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5 View Post
            That's true. There are teams out there that like mediocore ballplayers with massive salaries. I'm sure they would give us Farnsworth .
            In all seriousness, as Sam said, all we would get is a middle reliever or another 30 year old ballplayer that is not performing particularly well. I don't even think the Yankees would trade a quality prospect or a good starting pitcher (not sure they even have one) for Andruw.

Even Scott Boras will have a hard time putting a good spin on Andruw's performance this year.

Charles
            There was an article by Jerry Crasnick on ESPN.com:

Andruw Jones, Braves
            (.201 batting average; fifth in the majors with 83 strikeouts)
            If Alfonso Soriano could command eight years and $136 million and Vernon Wells received $126 million over seven years, Scott Boras had to be looking at a Manny Ramirez-like, $160 million windfall for Jones. Now that the season is half over and Jones has a lower OPS than Brad Ausmus and Coco Crisp, it's time to scratch that thought.
            Jones has been swinging at fastballs in his eyes, chasing breaking balls in the dirt and trying to pull pitches that he should be driving up the middle or the opposite way. His 47 RBIs are largely a reflection of Edgar Renteria and Chipper Jones being on base so often in front of him. He's hitting .210 with runners in scoring position.

"He's been so good for so long; he's never had to make adjustments at the plate," said a National League personnel man. "Couple that with all the pressure that goes into a walk year. And he's getting older, so there have been a lot of changes to that body. I think it's a lot of bad things coming together at once."

Jones has an emotional attachment to Atlanta, and Braves fans fondly recall his end-run on Boras to sign a six-year, $75 million contract in 2001. But times have changed, and Atlanta management is too squeezed financially to make another huge commitment.

So where does he go? The Yankees are sure to be mentioned, regardless of their level of interest. And Nationals president Stan Kasten, formerly with Atlanta, might be interested in bringing Jones to Washington in conjunction with the Nationals' move to a new park.

If Jones doesn't pick up the pace, he might have to consider signing a one-year deal to re-establish his market value. Either that, or Boras will have to pull something magical out of his hat.

"Andruw was primed for Boras to ask for nine years. Now, who knows?" said an AL front office man. "Scott will propose a one-year deal with a five-year option or something like that. He'll come up with something creative."

Boras, reached by phone Wednesday, said he doesn't expect Jones' difficult start to have a major impact on teams' level of interest this winter.

"Every one of my major clients -- whether it's a pitcher or a position player -- has gone through times like this,'' Boras said. "A-Rod went through it last year. Andruw Jones has done too much for too long and he's too complete a player. You have to look at this over a broad spectrum rather than six or eight weeks."
            Too complete a player. That's rich. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some crazy deal pulled in free agency. Plus, I wouldn't compare A-Rod to Andruw: Rodriguez is one of the all-time greats. Jones is just one of the Braves' greatest players.

Comment

Boras has a gift for just staring at a wall until some team loses their mind and throws buckets of money at his clients. Every once in a while you have to be grateful that you root for a team that simply will not/can not pay that much for a player.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                Boras has a gift for just staring at a wall until some team loses their mind and throws buckets of money at his clients. Every once in a while you have to be grateful that you root for a team that simply will not/can not pay that much for a player.
                I know the Braves aren't going to shell out any money for Jones after this season's over.

Comment

They won't be able to trade him and they will get a high draft pick as compensation when he leaves. I like the lineup you posted but not sure about the OF. Frenchy could probably play CF but he is suited for RF and you really don't want to move his arm from there. Harris would fit in CF but if you continue to platoon with Diaz you have to reshuffle your OF cause I don't see Diaz in CF. Kelly could play LF as he did in the past but not sure he has the arm to play RF.
                  Baseball Journeyman

Comment

This is just rich.

Boras points to slumps of Alex Rodriguez, Willie Mays to justify payday for Andruw; Confident Jones Will Get Money

The guy is persistent, I'll give him that, but he also seems to be playing everyone for saps. Someone else will give Andruw the money, sure. I'll be glad when that happens. Let THEM overpay for a streaky batter with no-longer elite defense.

On a more funny note:

As has been reported multiple times, Boras obviously wasn't happy with Jayson Stark's new book, "The Stark Truth." While evaluating a number of variables, including one that showed a gradual decline of putouts since 2001, Stark labeled Jones as the most overrated center fielder of all time.
                    In defense of Andruw, there has got to be someone more overrated than him.
                    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I've been pondering scenarios about how Andruw will leave or return to the Braves for the past few weeks and I'd like to share them with you all.

1. Andruw Jones returns to the Braves after his poor 2007 season- We know he's scared off a lot of teams so far this season with his poor performance. As fans we don't want him back, but I have reason to believe the Braves would bring him back. Here on BBF we've already crossed out Torii Hunter, Aaron Rowand, and Eric Byrnes as possible replacements.

2. Braves trade Andruw Jones- I've heard rumors that he could be traded, but to me that would seem like the Braves are packing it in for the 2007 season. I highly doubt this option.

3. Andruw signs with another team- The way he's played this year, I don't know what team would be stupid enough to actually sign him. But, he does have Scott Boras on his side, so anything is possible.
                      2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Read that article. Boras is absolutely convinced that he can get top dollar for Andruw by comparing him to Hall of Famers.

Comment

If the Braves traded him now, it would go against the "buy low/sell high" principle. If they wait for him to bounce back from this slump, they will be able to get more for him in a trade.

Comment

He isn't going to be traded.

he is a 10/5 guy who wants to play out the year here. he has already said that.
                            Let him sign somewhere else and we'll get a nice compensation pick that hopefully we can turn into something decent.
                            Baseball Journeyman

Comment

I've got a completely nutty and off-the-wall solution for the Braves if they have the money to sign this guy after Andruw leaves:

Kosuke Fukudome of the Chunichi Dragons.

He's Andruw's age, and as of right now, according to JapaneseBaseball.com, he's batting .295/.442/.529 with 13 HRs and 47 RsBI in 337 PAs. He leads all of NPB with 66 BBs and is tied for the lead with 22 doubles. Sounds like a guy the Braves could use.

Of course, Andruw's salary will just be used to pay for Smoltz's and Hudson's salary increases, so this idea is pretty unlikely.
                              Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 07-11-2007, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X