No announcement yet.

Andruw Jones: Who Cares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Brave fans seem to be in a big hurry to get rid of the player that is 2nd on your club in rbi's.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
      You Brave fans seem to be in a big hurry to get rid of the player that is 2nd on your club in rbi's.
      Oooo, second in RBIs! Whatever shall we do without him? I know! We'll just stick someone who can actually hit in that slot and he'll get RBIs too, probably more!

Any schlub can get lots of RBIs if they have a whole bunch of people on base when they bat. RBIs are a function of how many people are on base when a batter comes to the plate. That's why guys in the middle of the order have so many.

Jeff Francoeur had 103 RBIs in 2006, and he had a terrible Tony Batista-ish season. He had lots of at-bats, never walked and got quite a few hits with people on base. That's why he drove in so many.
      Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 07-12-2007, 08:06 AM.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
        That is beautiful. But, the way he has done has been ugly. Horrible swings, impatient hitting, and he's just been horrible in the clutch.
        2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
          That is beautiful. But, the way he has done has been ugly. Horrible swings, impatient hitting, and he's just been horrible in the clutch.
          Chipper hasn't been all that hot in "clutch" situations, either. I agree with the first two. I'm just trying to distance myself from the concept of "clutch" hitting because I don't believe it exists. That almost implies that people who are "clutch" have some personal quality that allows them to be cool under pressure and get hits when the team needs them the most. Might happen in fairy tales, but it don't happen here.
          Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 07-12-2007, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
            Chipper hasn't been all that hot in "clutch" situations, either. I agree with the first two. I'm just trying to distance myself from the concept of "clutch" hitting because I don't believe it exists. That almost implies that people who are "clutch" have some personal quality that allows them to be cool under pressure and get hits when the team needs them the most. Might happen in fairy tales, but it don't happen here.

I think that has more to do with Andruw hitting around .200 Why give into Chipper if you don't have to.
            Last edited by TheJourneyman; 07-12-2007, 12:58 PM.
            Baseball Journeyman

Comment

Originally posted by TheJourneyman View Post

I think that has more to do with Andruw hitting around .200 Why give into Chipper if you don't have to.
              Eh, it was only the mention of "clutch hitting" I just recoiled like a vampire to a clove of garlic. If there is a time that a player has to get a hit or not make an out, it's when there are two outs and runners in scoring position. I don't think Chipper's doing all that hot in that situation. But then again, he doesn't have much of those opportunities.

Comment

Eh, it was only the mention of "clutch hitting" I just recoiled like a vampire to a clove of garlic. If there is a time that a player has to get a hit or not make an out, it's when there are two outs and runners in scoring position. I don't think Chipper's doing all that hot in that situation. But then again, he doesn't have much of those opportunities.
                and why would he. if i was the opposing team i wouldn't give him anything to hit because you have guy behind him hitting .200
                Baseball Journeyman

Comment

and why would he. if i was the opposing team i wouldn't give him anything to hit because you have guy behind him hitting .200
                  What team was it that acted like idiots and pitched to Chipper anyway and he had a two-run single or somehting?

Comment

What team was it that acted like idiots and pitched to Chipper anyway and he had a two-run single or somehting?
                    The dodgers. Men on second and third with two out and Chipper Jones up to bat. He hit a two run single and then Andruw struck out on a low and outside breaking ball. I wish Grady Little managed against us in every game.

Charles
                    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                    -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5 View Post
                      That's true. There are teams out there that like mediocore ballplayers with massive salaries. I'm sure they would give us Farnsworth .
                      In all seriousness, as Sam said, all we would get is a middle reliever or another 30 year old ballplayer that is not performing particularly well. I don't even think the Yankees would trade a quality prospect or a good starting pitcher (not sure they even have one) for Andruw.

Even Scott Boras will have a hard time putting a good spin on Andruw's performance this year.

Charles
                      As long as Torre is manager, the Yanks will not deal Farnsworthless. Somehow Torre is in love with this guy.

Comment

At this point, I'd be willing to take a not great but serviceable starter that we can keep for a few years (Vazquez, Morris) for a package involving Escobar and someone else. Either of those two would be an upgrade over our fifth starter shuffle, surely.

Comment

Back to Andruw, and an important question arises:

It is clear that he is the guy with the most power in the offense besides Chipper. Is it possible for anyone else to pick up the slack, or are the Braves just going to have to do without if he leaves?

Comment

Back to Andruw, and an important question arises:

It is clear that he is the guy with the most power in the offense besides Chipper. Is it possible for anyone else to pick up the slack, or are the Braves just going to have to do without if he leaves?
                            will anyone else on this club hit 50....no
                            some could develop more power as they get older like frenchy, mccann, and salty but if they don't add another power bat they won't have another guy step in from the ML roster and hit 40+. someone with a little more knowledge about the minor league system might see someone with potential there but i don't know.
                            Baseball Journeyman

Comment

will anyone else on this club hit 50....no
                              some could develop more power as they get older like frenchy, mccann, and salty but if they don't add another power bat they won't have another guy step in from the ML roster and hit 40+. someone with a little more knowledge about the minor league system might see someone with potential there but i don't know.
                              I hope Frenchy develops that power, that's for sure. I think McCann's got some already. Rumor has it that Schuerholz is trying to get Mark Teixiera without having to give up Salty or Escobar. He'd help the next year and a half if he did.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X