Dmitri Young Trade Rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dmitri Young Trade Rumor

Trade rumors: According to a baseball source, the Nationals are surprised that American League teams have not rushed to acquire Dmitri Young's services. But they believe that the interest will be there for him close to the July 31 trade deadline.

Thus far, according to the source, only the Braves have shown interest. The news about Atlanta was first reported on FOXSports.com. The Braves are reportedly not happy with their first-base platoon of Scott Thorman and Jarrod Saltalamacchia. There is a feeling if Young went to the Braves, Young would platoon with Saltalamacchia, who is hitting .314. Thorman is hitting .223 with nine home runs and 33 RBIs.

Young, who will be the Nationals' All-Star representative Tuesday in San Francisco, is the hottest hitter on the team. He entered Friday hitting .339 with eight home runs and 42 RBIs.
    So what do you guys think? Personally I would be fine with letting Salty play there more but brining in Young would be fine considering he is cheap and hitting the cover off the ball recently. Sure his defense stinks but Thorman's defense seems to slowly be going down as the season continues.
    Extend Prado!!!

I wouldn't mind picking up Young. From what I've read, the Nationals are asking too much for him (in terms of prospects). I certainly wouldn't trade Matt Harrison + another prospect (like Brandon Jones, Elvis Andrus, Salty, Escobar, etc) for him.

I looked at his stats and he does have some good career numbers.
    Link to his stats

I'm definitely with you in terms of letting Salty get more time at 1B and quite honestly, I think as a full-time first baseman, he would be everything we need and Young would be obsolete for us.

Thorman is pretty much out of options: he can't, or shouldn't, go back to the minors and he's either at the point or past the point where it's obvious he's not going to get the job done for us. I supported him at the beginning of the season, but my support has dwindled to almost nothing.

I just think we should be focusing more on a reliable 3rd or 4th starter. Actually, I'm sure this isn't a new idea to John Scheurholz, and he's doing the best he can to find us one.

Overall, I believe our offense is just fine. We have a lot of young players and a few veterans. If we added one more starting pitcher (a reliable, decent third or 4th starter) then we're in business. What do I mean when I say "we're in business?" Not only do I think we're playoff bound, but we contend in the playoffs as well.

Smoltz, Hudson, and _____? I am a big fan of Chuck James (and have been) and if there is a 4th game in a playoff series, I am quite content to let him take the mound for us. Even Buddy Carlyle has stepped up for us this year! however, we're still one piece away from being a true force in baseball.

I say forget Young and target a pitcher.
    1914 Boston Braves
    July 5th: 15 games back.
    October 13th: World Series Champs
    (Anything is possible)
    GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Click Here (It's all you need to get fired up about the Braves).

Comment

Yeah, having old-player skills at first base isn't exactly the best option when you have the worst fifth starter in the major leagues.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

I am sure that JS is looking for a starting pitcher but so is a lot of contending teams that are driving up the price. Also Bowden supposedly was looking for 1 or 2 prospects for Young but as the deadline draws near I think the price will go down. It is never bad to have a Young type of player on your bench I mean do you want Chris Woodward pinch hitting or Young.

Also there just isn't that starter the Braves want out there right now except for the White Sox guys. Sure maybe Ian Snell or Oswalt maybe come up but I don't see them getting traded for anything less then Salty and someone else. I think the best option would be Vazquez who I think we could pry away with a package around Yunel. Even though I love Yunel and his potential the Braves need a 3rd or 4th starter and I think Vazquez is a good guy for that role and he is locked up for another 2 years I believe. The only thing that worries me about him is he has given up 14 HRs but Buehrle has given up 13 so that isn't something that really scares me away from him. Vazquez is an innings eater which we need and would just be a nice addition to the rotation. I mean Smoltz, Hudson, and Vazquez is not a bad top 3 by any means and would allow the Braves to move Chuck down to the 4th slot which is better suited for him and Buddy into the fifth slot. (Sorry Kyle fans he just hasn't been good enough to warrent staying over Buddy)

I can't see a deal like this going down until after the All-Star game so us fans will just have to tough it out with Kyle until someone from within takes Kyle's spot or the Braves make a trade and if you can't get more pitching might as well get more hitting.
        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
          I am sure that JS is looking for a starting pitcher but so is a lot of contending teams that are driving up the price. Also Bowden supposedly was looking for 1 or 2 prospects for Young but as the deadline draws near I think the price will go down. It is never bad to have a Young type of player on your bench I mean do you want Chris Woodward pinch hitting or Young.

Also there just isn't that starter the Braves want out there right now except for the White Sox guys. Sure maybe Ian Snell or Oswalt maybe come up but I don't see them getting traded for anything less then Salty and someone else. I think the best option would be Vazquez who I think we could pry away with a package around Yunel. Even though I love Yunel and his potential the Braves need a 3rd or 4th starter and I think Vazquez is a good guy for that role and he is locked up for another 2 years I believe. The only thing that worries me about him is he has given up 14 HRs but Buehrle has given up 13 so that isn't something that really scares me away from him. Vazquez is an innings eater which we need and would just be a nice addition to the rotation. I mean Smoltz, Hudson, and Vazquez is not a bad top 3 by any means and would allow the Braves to move Chuck down to the 4th slot which is better suited for him and Buddy into the fifth slot. (Sorry Kyle fans he just hasn't been good enough to warrent staying over Buddy)

I can't see a deal like this going down until after the All-Star game so us fans will just have to tough it out with Kyle until someone from within takes Kyle's spot or the Braves make a trade and if you can't get more pitching might as well get more hitting.
          Yunel has already taken away the utility infield role from Chris Woodward and I'm eternally grateful for that. But we do need to get rid of him, period. I don't see why Young can't be Darlye Warded from the Nats.

And good luck to Reyes in taking away Davies' spot. He just needs to avoid an encore.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
            Yeah, having old-player skills at first base isn't exactly the best option when you have the worst fifth starter in the major leagues.
            Well, we don't actually have a 5th starter. But, I'd rather go after the starter than Dmitri Young.
            2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
              Well, we don't actually have a 5th starter. But, I'd rather go after the starter than Dmitri Young.
              Why get Young when we have someone cheaper and probably better?

Okay, maybe not BETTER better, but still.

Comment

as always pitching will be harder to get than hitting. i wouldn't be opposed to getting young. i don't know his contract situation though (sorry if it was mentioned) and i am too lazy to look it up. Maybe by getting young we can turn around and trade him for some young pitcher next year. another bat off the bench would be a nice addition for a run at the playoffs. thorman just isn't handling first like he needs to be and maybe young can help him with that.
                Baseball Journeyman

Comment

Dmitiri Young is making $500,000 this year on a minor league contract. We can't get him unless we part with a good prospect, but if this improves the team for half of a season I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
                    Dmitiri Young is making $500,000 this year on a minor league contract. We can't get him unless we part with a good prospect, but if this improves the team for half of a season I'm all for it.
                    Escobar and/or Thorman, fine.

Saltlamacchia, HELL no.

Comment

Of course not Salty John would have to be going insane to trade Salty for Young. I think that a low level or mid level prospect would get him at SS, C, or P could get him but that is being realistic and Jim Bowdens demands seem to be way to high to get him. I hope Bowden comes to his senses before the deadline and realize what Young's value really is.
                      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                        Of course not Salty John would have to be going insane to trade Salty for Young. I think that a low level or mid level prospect would get him at SS, C, or P could get him but that is being realistic and Jim Bowdens demands seem to be way to high to get him. I hope Bowden comes to his senses before the deadline and realize what Young's value really is.
                        I wouldn't bet on it. If he didn't trade Alfonso Soriano last year, he's not trading Dmitri Young this year. We're talking about the same man who traded for Ryan Langerhans. A few fries short of a Happy Meal.
                        Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 07-12-2007, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Well when it comes to Soriano I think he knew he would get pretty high draft pick for him when he left so he was expecting at least one top prospect and another just because of what Soriano was doing last year. Another factor was it seemed that no matter what Soriano wanted to test the market and it looked doubtful that he would have signed a extension once traded which likely put off some teams. Young is worth a low A to AA prospect that has potential but may be blocked or that the Braves don't see a future for them with Atlanta other then that they will be mistaken and with the Braves as the only suitor for him from reports no one is driving up the price by any means. I think Bowden will come to his senses like I have said before only because letting Young go won't net you that much like a Soriano did.
                          Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                            Escobar and/or Thorman, fine.

Saltlamacchia, HELL no.
                            Now that I think about it, Thorman would be the perfect fit for the Nats. Nick Johnson is always injured and Scott Thorman would be the answer to their problem.

Comment

Do the Nationals want a very good, experienced, master Connect Four player?

If so, Pete Orr for Dmitri Young straight up!

:P
                              1914 Boston Braves
                              July 5th: 15 games back.
                              October 13th: World Series Champs
                              (Anything is possible)
                              GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Click Here (It's all you need to get fired up about the Braves).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X