Bartolo Colon Designated For Assignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartolo Colon Designated For Assignment

Bartolo Colon was designated for Assignment today after a 2-8 start on the season where colon appeared to have lost his old magic. Colon's 20 year major league career may be over. He's a Cy Cy Young award winner, a two-time 20 game winner, and was the major leagues' active leader in wins. Colon has been on the major league scene since 1997 - 21 years, although he missed the entire 2010 season to injury. He survived as a major leaguer until his mid-40s, having turned 44 last month. He was a major factor in the New York Mets run to the World Series in 2015. Lifetime Colon is 235-170 with 2,407 strikeouts. As a hitter he hit one memorable home run at an advanced age, making him the oldest player to at the time he hit his first MLB home run.. Always an interesting guy, he will be missed around MLB parks if his career his over. To quote Bob Dylan: "aw mama, Could This Really Be The End." (of an outstanding career)..

It's not over for him yet; the Mets, channeling their inner 1962 selves (I have to kid about something) are thinking about bringing him back. They're going to have Tebow up at the end of the year, so why not?

I will say this though: I believed the risk was well worth taking in signing him because it was possible he had that one year left in him a la Jamie Moyer and the Braves weren't going to reach the playoffs this year anyway. He stunk and the Braves aren't going to reach the playoffs this year, so really, there's no harm in it. Things I don't care for, though, are insinuations like they're going to "constantly rebuild" and not have real major leaguers a la the Pirates for 20 years.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

He has certainly been an inspiration to all us phat, over-phorty, phitless phucks...

...tom...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X