Braves 2018 Spring Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braves 2018 Spring Training Thread

Just setting this up, partly because if I'm lucky, I'm going to a spring training game next month.

Game 1 - Mets (1-0) 6, Braves (0-1) 2

Good Days - Seven Braves batters had singles, and Danny Santana had a hit and a run scored. Braves pitchers started the game combining for seven innings of two hits, two walks and six strikeouts. Matt Wisler had two innings and Chase Whitley, Sam Freeman, Anyelo Gomez, Koby Allard and Rex Brothers each had one. Brothers also had two strikeouts.

Bad Days - Five Braves hitters had multiple hitless trips to the plate. Minor leaguer Rob Socolovich and prospective bullpen arm Akeel Morris combined to allow six runs in the eighth inning, with Morris walking in two runs after Socolovish had directly allowed four.

Next: Acuna and Newcomb are two to play against the Astros today.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Game 2 - Astros (2-0) 6, Braves (0-2) 1

Good Days - Five Braves players had a hit, with longtime Braves minor leaguer Carlos Franco getting the only double. Five pitchers had at least an inning of scoreless ball with Josh Graham, who last pitched in Mississippi, pitching 1 1/3 innings to finish. Sean Newcomb had two strikeouts in his frame.

Bad Days - Ronald Acuna, Alex Jackson and Austin Riley all went a combined 0-9 with six strikeouts. Mike Soroka unfortunately gave up a home run to Yulieski Gurriel and Jason Hursh was torched for four runs in 2/3 of an inning.

Next: Scott Kazmir beings his spring facing the Nationals.

Comment

I'm ready for some real baseball! How you feeling about the upcoming season? I really hope that Dansby turns it around and Albies doesn't have a sophomore slump.

I'm trying to tamper my expectations for Acuna. He's only 20, so if he comes up and struggles it won't be the end of the world.
      Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Well given he's 0-5 so far in spring, he's probably trying too hard. Just so happens that Dansby has the Braves' first spring homer today.

This season I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm unshakable in my belief that they can improve from last year. However, I also believe the improvement won't by by much. Still, it won't surprise me if they finish at around .500, say 79-83 wins.

Comment

Game 3 - Nationals (1-2) 9, Braves (0-3) 3

Good Days - Preston Tucker had the Braves' first multi-hit game, inclulding a double, and Dansby Swanson got the Braves' first home run of the spring. Carlos Franco continued a good couple of days with a pinch-hit homer of his own. Scott Kazmir had a scoreless inning despite two walks and Jesse Biddle, Philip Pfeifer (came from the Dodgers in the Bud Norris trade) and Adam McCreery (came from the Angels in the Jhoulys Chacin trade) all had scoreless outings.

Bad Days - Ronald Acuna went 0-4 in the leadoff spot, Austin Riley went 0-3 and several other players went 0-2. Lucas Sims, Max Fried and Luke Jackson combined to allow nine runs (eight earned) in three innings of work with five walks and just one strikeout.

Next: Julio Teheran makes his first spring appearance tomorrow against the Nationals.

Comment

Game 4 - Braves (1-3) 2, Nationals (1-3) 1

Good Days - Ozzie Albies and Kurt Suzuki had two-hit games with Suzuki having a double. Five other players had a hit. Julio Teheran opened with two scoreless innings and the next six pitchers had scoreless innings until Rex Brothers allowed a homer in the ninth. Peter Moylan and Brothers both had two strikeouts.

Bad Days - Bad batting days at least, as seven Braves players had 0-2 days. At least Ender Inciarte redeemed himself on the field.

Next: Mike Foltynewicz has his first appearance against the Pirates.

Comment

So... just saying, on Talking Chop, we're basically being led to believe that the organization is splitting hairs and setting the stage for Acuna to leave by telling him to "wear his hat straight", based on a Mark Bowman line at the end of this article.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/andr...na/c-267271020

Comment

Game 5 - Pirates 3 (0-3-1), Braves 3 (1-3-1)

Good Days - There were only five hits, but they were big ones as Charlie Culberson had a two-run double and Johan Camargo hit a solo homer in the 7th to tie the game at 3-all. Mike Foltynewicz had a scoreless two-inning start and four pitchers combined for 4 2/3 innings of scoreless ball, including 1 2/3 from Sam Freeman. Daniel Winkler had two strikeouts to lead all pitchers.

Bad Days - Five players went 0-2 with Lane Adams being the unfortunate one to go 0-3. Chase Whitley got tagged for 2 runs in 1 1/3 innings of work and Jason Hursh continued to underwhelm by giving up a run on three hits in his inning of work.

Next: Two guys looking to get their careers back on track open the next Braves-Mets game with Brandon McCarthy and Matt Harvey.

Comment

Game 6 - Mets (3-3) 6, Braves (1-4-1) 4

Good Days - Brandon McCarthy opened the game with three scoreless innings and Koby Allard added two shutout innings. Aaron Blair and Jesse biddle had scoreless frams as well. Acuna (since when did he start getting labelled as Acuna, Jr.?) went 2-4 including a go-ahead 2-run single. Danny Santana had 3 hits and a run and Preston Tucker and Dansby Swanson also had two hits.

Bad Days - Five players went 0-2 at the plate, but Shane Carle and Josh Ravin both allowed three runs in their innings, with Ravin taking the loss.

Next: Sean Newcomb makes his second appearance against the Tigers.

Comment

Game 7 - (ss) Braves (2-4-1) 5, Tigers (5-2) 2

Good Days - Ronald Acuna and Dustin Peterson had two hits and Cleulius Rondon (last in the Marlins organization) and Austin Riley hit home runs. Mike Soroka had two scoreless innings and five pitchers had a scoreless inning each.

Bad Days - Sean Newcomb was going well until giving up back-to-back solo homers. Preston Tucker went 0-5 and Carlos Franco went 0-4

Game 8 - Nationals (2-4) 6, (ss) Braves (2-5-1) 2

Good Days - Matt Wisler had three scoreless innings to open the game, Four pitches combined for 3 2/3 scoreless innings with A. J. Minter having two strikeouts. Nick Markakis had two hits and Christian Colon had an RBI.

Bad Days - Danny Santana went 0-4 and Kyle Wright allowed four runs and Rex Brothers allowed two.

Comment

Sorry for not posting updates. Went on vacation and not having full internet access contributed to that. I need an actual keyboard to type all this stuff out. All that being said, I like how spring is going on. Though I notice that there's some freaking out about Gohara's injury because he's "fat" and it's hard to recover from sprained ankles.

Comment

Just courious as to what you see as Matt Wisler's role with the Braves this year. Last year he wore out the road between the Braves and AAA.....

Comment

Originally posted by ryors View Post
                          Just courious as to what you see as Matt Wisler's role with the Braves this year. Last year he wore out the road between the Braves and AAA.....
                          He'll continue to do that unless he starts getting results. Could be his last year with the organization easily.

Comment

Okay, at this point, Preston Tucker is playing like he wants an outfield job. Be nice if he did get the placeholder job.

Comment

The Braves have re-assigned much-hyped prospect Ronald Acuna to minor-league camp, David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution was among those to report on Twitter. He’ll presumably open the season at Triple-A.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ague-camp.html
                              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X