Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Markakis Wearingdown After attempting "Iron Man"season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markakis Wearingdown After attempting "Iron Man"season.

Nick Markakis' batting average has dropped to .299 entering the final series of the season, at his peak he was leading the N's batting title race. His home run production has dropped way off after the all-star game break. He has played and started all of the Braves 159 games thus far, but in his mid-30s (he turns 35 in mid-November) , he really might have performed better if he'd got occasional days off.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 09-28-2018, 10:33 AM.

Or how about just the fact that he way overperformed in the first two months? He was an average player the rest of the way. A few days off wouldn't have made him above average.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
      Or how about just the fact that he way overperformed in the first two months? He was an average player the rest of the way. A few days off wouldn't have made him above average.
      he still drove in over 90 runs as a single/doubles hitter and hit .297. Many teams would be glad to have him if the Braves were to sour on him..
      He used to hit 20 home runs a year with some regularity as a Baltimore Oriole, but his power numbers dropped off after a few years, but I don't know why while still in hisl ate 20s..

Comment

He drove in 90 runs because he had Acuna, Albies and Freeman setting him up. Freemean, who's not a true home-run threat, had a .388 OBP and scored 72 runs not driving himself in. Ozzie Albies, who hold just a .305 OBP, led the team with 105 runs scored, 81 with other people. And let's not forget Acuna, who scored 52 runs not driving himself in.

It's not smart to invest a QO on the worst slugger on the team outside of Swanson and Inciarte.

Comment

Nick has played 2,001 major league regular season games and finally made his first all-star team this year. You Can't give him his one little moment?

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
            Nick has played 2,001 major league regular season games and finally made his first all-star team this year. You Can't give him his one little moment?
            I can, and I have before. I was replying as if you thought they should re-sign him.

Comment

I can, and I have before. I was replying as if you thought they should re-sign him.
              I didn't realize his contract was expiring, but now I see by checking baseball-reference.com and baseball-almanac.com that Markakis has always been well-paid....you might say Overpaid, if you're his critic. He's had excellent representation in negotiating contracts that's gotten him 'Top Dollar' for his services. I wonder how he'll do in the Free agent market. Positives: Played all 162 games, , excellent first half. Negatives: Faded quite a bit in the second half and his age: 35 next season, finishing the season at almost 36.

Comment

Right and with the qualifying offer around $17 million, the Braves would be stupid to offer that to him.

Comment

Right and with the qualifying offer around $17 million, the Braves would be stupid to offer that to him.
                  Still, Markakis a good player who hasn't priced himself right out of the market and a job as a few declining former stars have done. You can't penalize him for being a fianacially smart salary negotiator.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post

Still, Markakis a good player who hasn't priced himself right out of the market and a job as a few declining former stars have done. You can't penalize him for being a fianacially smart salary negotiator.
                    I'm not penalizing him. I'm saying it's not smart to bank on him.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Markakis SLUMPED TO A FINAL .297 batting average, after bein the NL league batting leader for several days, hitting over ,320 by mid and late July.
                            He did take home his third Gold Glove Award yesterday, however.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X