Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlanta Braves All-Time 40-Man Roster

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Atlanta Braves All-Time 40-Man Roster

    One-Team-Only Rule per player. 5 honorable mention pitchers & 5 honorable mention position players. These 10 would be "unlockable" players in a video game situation with certain team boosts.

    Atlanta Braves

    C: Deacon White (NA), Brian McCann, Javy Lopez, Del Crandall
    1B: Freddie Freeman, Fred Tenney, Joe Adcock
    2B: Rabbit Maranville, Bobby Lowe, Glenn Hubbard
    3B: Eddie Mathews, Bob Elliott, Billy Nash
    SS: Herman Long, Johnny Logan, Rafael Furcal
    LF: Chipper Jones, Wally Berger, Hugh Duffy
    CF: Andruw Jones, Dale Murphy, Felipe Alou
    RF: Hank Aaron, Tommy Holmes, David Justice
    P's: Kid Nichols, Warren Spahn, Phil Niekro, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Vic Willis, John Clarkson, Tommy Bond, Jim Whitney, Lew Burdette, Charlie Buffinton, Al Spalding (NA), Dick Rudolph, Johnny Sain, Julio Teheran, Bob Buhl

    Unlockable Pitchers: Old Hoss Radbourn, Craig Kimbrel, Mark Wohlers, Rick Camp, Lefty Tyler
    Unlockable Position Players: Jason Heyward, Darrell Evans, Sid Gordon, Lonnie Smith, Terry Pendleton

    Replacement Pitcher: Mike Stanton
    Replacement Position Player: Bob Horner

    Managers: Bobby Cox & Frank Selee
    Last edited by AJTV; 11-09-2019, 12:43 AM.

  • #2
    There's got to be someone better than Old Hoss Radbourn. His best years were with the Providence Grays. If it's all the same to you, how about Steve Avery instead? If there's a special reason to unlock him, have him be like "Postseason Hero" or something.
    46 wins to match last year's total

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
      There's got to be someone better than Old Hoss Radbourn. His best years were with the Providence Grays. If it's all the same to you, how about Steve Avery instead? If there's a special reason to unlock him, have him be like "Postseason Hero" or something.
      Yeah, I put him on here, because he was still a great career pitcher. Using a one-team-only rule I go by total career WAR, and since the Grays aren't even a franchise anymore, we can't put him there. And he still had some good years with the Braves franchise. Any pitcher who gets 60 wins in a season needs to go somewhere.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah but that was a different time. And he got those 60 wins as part of the Grays in 1884.
        46 wins to match last year's total

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
          Yeah but that was a different time. And he got those 60 wins as part of the Grays in 1884.
          Right, but like I said before, they aren't even a franchise anymore, and I feel like he deserves recognition somewhere. For the unlockable pitchers, I take any remaining pitchers in a franchise's top 50 for WAR, and if they've had a career WAR of 30 or more, then they get put there. If the Grays were an early team of a current franchise, then he would obviously be placed there, but unfortunately that's not the case. I feel like he'd still be a great pitcher today. This video here explains my rules for choosing players based on a one-team-only rule.

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfdet_Rbydg
          Last edited by AJTV; 10-11-2019, 01:57 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well I understand the one-team only rule. And really, as far as things go, you made a good roster. Most of the usual suspects are there; there's a lot of my favorite picks I like to have for this exercise.
            46 wins to match last year's total

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
              Well I understand the one-team only rule. And really, as far as things go, you made a good roster. Most of the usual suspects are there; there's a lot of my favorite picks I like to have for this exercise.
              Well, I appreciate that. I’m definitely open to changes, and I love the discussion, so thanks for that, too. The rule of one team gets pretty challenging, but it makes it more fun. It’s more subjective that way. I’m hoping to make the videos for each team.

              Comment


              • #8
                Not sure there are many changes you can make although I sort of question why Javy Lopez is the #1 catcher if WAR is a factor here.
                46 wins to match last year's total

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                  Not sure there are many changes you can make although I sort of question why Javy Lopez is the #1 catcher if WAR is a factor here.
                  I made an exception to this originally, because I felt Lopez was more productive with his bat. But McCann should probably be it, just because he has a higher franchise and career WAR both. I also decided that Joe Torre should be the last 3rd baseman for St. Louis since he won the MVP there, and he was also a manager. Stats were better with the Braves, but I feel he has more connection to the Cards.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yeah I figured that's why you put Torre in St. Louis.

                    Rabbit Maranville at second base just shows you how weak historically the Braves franchise has been at that position.
                    46 wins to match last year's total

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      C: I would add Torre at catcher since he was the starting catcher for the Braves for 8 years, a position he played 796 games at versus 107 for the Cardinals. Also HOF Deacon White, the greatest bare-handed catcher of the 19th Century.
                      2B: Felix Millan, Marcus Giles
                      3B: HOF Jimmy Collins who revolutionized third base. Ezra Sutton
                      SS: HOF George Wright, bare-handed shortstop considered the best player in the game in the late 1860’s and 70’s. I would consider Andrelton Simmons, the best shortstop I’ve ever seen with the Braves.
                      P: HOF Al Spalding, Jack Stivetts, Johnny Sain
                      LF: HOF Jim O’Rourke
                      CF: HOF Billie Hamilton. How could you leave this guy off?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think he's saving Torre for the Cards and Hamilton for the Phillies.
                        46 wins to match last year's total

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SABR Steve View Post
                          C: I would add Torre at catcher since he was the starting catcher for the Braves for 8 years, a position he played 796 games at versus 107 for the Cardinals. Also HOF Deacon White, the greatest bare-handed catcher of the 19th Century.
                          2B: Felix Millan, Marcus Giles
                          3B: HOF Jimmy Collins who revolutionized third base. Ezra Sutton
                          SS: HOF George Wright, bare-handed shortstop considered the best player in the game in the late 1860’s and 70’s. I would consider Andrelton Simmons, the best shortstop I’ve ever seen with the Braves.
                          P: HOF Al Spalding, Jack Stivetts, Johnny Sain
                          LF: HOF Jim O’Rourke
                          CF: HOF Billie Hamilton. How could you leave this guy off?
                          Yeah, a lot of these guys would be here if not for the One-Team-Only Rule. Torre did indeed play more games at catcher for the Braves, but he won his MVP in St. Louis, mainly playing at third, so I have him as one of the 3B for the Cards. Deacon could definitely be considered here, so that change could be warranted. However, he actually only played one year for this franchise. The old Red Stockings weren’t the same. Lowe and Hubbard both have higher career WAR than Millan and Giles. I also think Long and Logan were better than Wright. Furcal, too. Simmons has been even better with the Angels with almost the same amount of playing time. Sutton barely misses out. Jimmy Collins was better with the Red Sox franchise. I agree that a spot needs to be made for Spalding, and Teheran can be removed. But again, that was a different franchise. Stivetts was better with the Cardinals franchise. I have Sain on here. O'Rourke was best with the Giants franchise. Hamilton was clearly better with the Phillies franchise.
                          Last edited by AJTV; 10-18-2019, 09:07 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Actually AJTV, the Brave franchise dates back to 1871, not 1876. That's not in dispute.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SABR Steve View Post
                              Actually AJTV, the Brave franchise dates back to 1871, not 1876. That's not in dispute.
                              Right. Same team, essentially, but different league. The National Association prior to 1876 is not officially considered a major league. But I'll go ahead and have White and Spalding on there anyway.
                              Last edited by AJTV; 10-19-2019, 04:49 PM.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X