Atlanta Braves All-Time 40-Man Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta Braves All-Time 40-Man Roster

One-Team-Only Rule per player. 5 honorable mention pitchers & 5 honorable mention position players. These 10 would be "unlockable" players in a video game situation with certain team boosts.

Atlanta Braves

C: Javy Lopez, Brian McCann, Del Crandall
    1B: Freddie Freeman, Fred Tenney, Joe Adcock
    2B: Rabbit Maranville, Bobby Lowe, Glenn Hubbard
    3B: Eddie Mathews, Bob Elliott, Billy Nash
    SS: Herman Long, Johnny Logan, Rafael Furcal
    LF: Chipper Jones, Wally Berger, Hugh Duffy
    CF: Andruw Jones, Dale Murphy, Felipe Alou
    RF: Hank Aaron, Tommy Holmes, David Justice
    P's: Kid Nichols, Warren Spahn, Phil Niekro, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Vic Willis, John Clarkson, Tommy Bond, Jim Whitney, Lew Burdette, Charlie Buffinton, Dick Rudolph, Johnny Sain, Julio Teheran, Bob Buhl

Unlockable Pitchers: Old Hoss Radbourn, Craig Kimbrel, Mark Wohlers, Rick Camp, Lefty Tyler
    Unlockable Position Players: Jason Heyward, Darrell Evans, Sid Gordon, Lonnie Smith, Terry Pendleton

Replacement Pitcher: Mike Stanton
    Replacement Position Player: Bob Horner

Managers: Bobby Cox & Frank Selee
    Last edited by AJTV; 10-11-2019, 12:56 PM.

There's got to be someone better than Old Hoss Radbourn. His best years were with the Providence Grays. If it's all the same to you, how about Steve Avery instead? If there's a special reason to unlock him, have him be like "Postseason Hero" or something.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
      There's got to be someone better than Old Hoss Radbourn. His best years were with the Providence Grays. If it's all the same to you, how about Steve Avery instead? If there's a special reason to unlock him, have him be like "Postseason Hero" or something.
      Yeah, I put him on here, because he was still a great career pitcher. Using a one-team-only rule I go by total career WAR, and since the Grays aren't even a franchise anymore, we can't put him there. And he still had some good years with the Braves franchise. Any pitcher who gets 60 wins in a season needs to go somewhere.

Comment

Yeah but that was a different time. And he got those 60 wins as part of the Grays in 1884.

Comment

Yeah but that was a different time. And he got those 60 wins as part of the Grays in 1884.
          Right, but like I said before, they aren't even a franchise anymore, and I feel like he deserves recognition somewhere. For the unlockable pitchers, I take any remaining pitchers in a franchise's top 50 for WAR, and if they've had a career WAR of 30 or more, then they get put there. If the Grays were an early team of a current franchise, then he would obviously be placed there, but unfortunately that's not the case. I feel like he'd still be a great pitcher today. This video here explains my rules for choosing players based on a one-team-only rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfdet_Rbydg
          Last edited by AJTV; 10-11-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Well I understand the one-team only rule. And really, as far as things go, you made a good roster. Most of the usual suspects are there; there's a lot of my favorite picks I like to have for this exercise.

Comment

Well I understand the one-team only rule. And really, as far as things go, you made a good roster. Most of the usual suspects are there; there's a lot of my favorite picks I like to have for this exercise.
              Well, I appreciate that. I’m definitely open to changes, and I love the discussion, so thanks for that, too. The rule of one team gets pretty challenging, but it makes it more fun. It’s more subjective that way. I’m hoping to make the videos for each team.

Comment

Not sure there are many changes you can make although I sort of question why Javy Lopez is the #1 catcher if WAR is a factor here.

Comment

Not sure there are many changes you can make although I sort of question why Javy Lopez is the #1 catcher if WAR is a factor here.
                  I made an exception to this originally, because I felt Lopez was more productive with his bat. But McCann should probably be it, just because he has a higher franchise and career WAR both. I also decided that Joe Torre should be the last 3rd baseman for St. Louis since he won the MVP there, and he was also a manager. Stats were better with the Braves, but I feel he has more connection to the Cards.

Comment

Yeah I figured that's why you put Torre in St. Louis.

Rabbit Maranville at second base just shows you how weak historically the Braves franchise has been at that position.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X