My proposed new name for the Braves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My proposed new name for the Braves

While the Braves' identity has largely deemphasized the Native American elements over the past few decades, I still prefer a complete abandonment of them.

I have a creative solution for that. The Braves ownership could acquire the rights to the name, logos, and colors of the former NHL team Atlanta Thrashers. The name, logos, and colors would be used almost verbatim, the only change being a modification of the hockey stick in the main Thrashers logo into a baseball bat.

This is similar to my proposal for the Cleveland Indians to recycle the "Barons" name from several hockey teams that played there in the past, as well as the adoption of the "Pelicans" name, previously used in baseball, by the NBA team in New Orleans.
    The playoffs should expand eventually, but only if MLB itself expands.

See my blog for more info.

I think Thrashers would be way too aggressive a name for an MLB team.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
      I think Thrashers would be way too aggressive a name for an MLB team.
      Seems that way but the name would actually refer to the brown thrasher, Georgia's state bird, which was also the case when the NHL Thrashers existed. The original Thrashers logo featured the bird. As I said, it would be used by the baseball team, but modifying the hockey stick in the original logo to a baseball bat.

Atlanta's two other major league teams, the Falcons and Hawks, likewise have names and logos referring to birds.
      The playoffs should expand eventually, but only if MLB itself expands.

See my blog for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by PF#9 View Post

Seems that way but the name would actually refer to the brown thrasher, Georgia's state bird, which was also the case when the NHL Thrashers existed. The original Thrashers logo featured the bird.
        Huh, that's something I would not have guessed. I definitely take back my initial reaction.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

How about the "Larrys".

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X