Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Braves have a 6 man rotation?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can the Braves have a 6 man rotation?

    I was reading that in 1972 the Dodgers were one of the first teams to go from a 4 man to 5 man rotation. The biggest reason of the switch was to reduce the stress on pitchers arms. I am sure we will have some form of this because Smoltzie has talked about missing starts - but could this be something a team with older arms and depth could plan on?

  • #2
    Originally posted by HitnRun View Post
    I was reading that in 1972 the Dodgers were one of the first teams to go from a 4 man to 5 man rotation. The biggest reason of the switch was to reduce the stress on pitchers arms. I am sure we will have some form of this because Smoltzie has talked about missing starts - but could this be something a team with older arms and depth could plan on?
    Nope. Because in effect, that would mean the sixth starter would be taking away starts from either John Smoltz or Tim Hudson. It's counter productive. Smoltz might be getting rest, but the Braves would be putting a Buddy Carlyle out there to try to replace what would have been his turn. Would you rather that happen every sixth time out, or every now and then?
    46 wins to match last year's total

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree with Sam unless you have a huge amount of talented starting pitchers there is no reason to do so. The Braves have good young depth but they are unproven and overall would not give enough gains to be worth actually doing it. There are two teams, in my opinion, that might benefit from a 6 man rotation but the Braves are not one of them.
      Extend Prado!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        I was thinking of James, Hampton or Jurrjens being one of the 6th. I wouldn't do it just to do it. Spring training will show if we even have 5 who can start.

        Comment


        • #5
          i kinda agree. If hampton finds a way to stay healthy. Then you have james, bennett, reyes, and jurrigens for that fifth spot. I don't see them using a 6 man rotation. But i could see a more than the occasional spot starter being used. Especially with a guy like bennett, who is out of options.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HitnRun View Post
            I was thinking of James, Hampton or Jurrjens being one of the 6th. I wouldn't do it just to do it. Spring training will show if we even have 5 who can start.
            So that means you pitching rotation looks something like this?

            Smoltz
            Hudson
            Glavine
            Bennett
            Jo-Jo

            If that is the way thinks actually happened then I would have to really start wondering about Cox's mental health. Hampton will be the 4th starter if healthy if only for the reason that he is getting paid so much. Bennett seems to be more in line for the long relief/spot starter then an everyday starter. As for the fifth spot all the reports I read think that James and then Jair, I like Jo-Jo but I doubt he won't be starting the season in Richmond. Also if I misinterpreted your post then sorry in advance.

            Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
            i kinda agree. If hampton finds a way to stay healthy. Then you have james, bennett, reyes, and jurrigens for that fifth spot. I don't see them using a 6 man rotation. But i could see a more than the occasional spot starter being used. Especially with a guy like bennett, who is out of options.
            I think Bennett will make the team but it being in the bullpen role and a spot start every now and then. (as stated above) The problem with having a 6 man rotation is as Sam said it takes away starts from your best pitchers to give starts to lesser talented or pitchers that aren't fully developed. The Braves, in my opinion, would be dumb to take away 5 - 8 starts away from guys like Hudson and Smoltz to get James, Jair or Jo-Jo a bunch.
            Extend Prado!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
              So that means you pitching rotation looks something like this?

              Smoltz
              Hudson
              Glavine
              Bennett
              Jo-Jo

              If that is the way thinks actually happened then I would have to really start wondering about Cox's mental health. Hampton will be the 4th starter if healthy if only for the reason that he is getting paid so much. Bennett seems to be more in line for the long relief/spot starter then an everyday starter. As for the fifth spot all the reports I read think that James and then Jair, I like Jo-Jo but I doubt he won't be starting the season in Richmond. Also if I misinterpreted your post then sorry in advance.

              I think Bennett will make the team but it being in the bullpen role and a spot start every now and then. (as stated above) The problem with having a 6 man rotation is as Sam said it takes away starts from your best pitchers to give starts to lesser talented or pitchers that aren't fully developed. The Braves, in my opinion, would be dumb to take away 5 - 8 starts away from guys like Hudson and Smoltz to get James, Jair or Jo-Jo a bunch.


              Sorry I wasn't clear. They would be

              Smoltz
              Hudson
              Glavine
              James
              Jurrigen
              Hampton

              Then there is

              Bennent
              Jo-Jo
              Buddy

              but the 6th spot wouild be to spot pitch like chip&smoltz95 said. It would not be used to take starts but to give breaks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by HitnRun View Post
                but the 6th spot wouild be to spot pitch like chip&smoltz95 said. It would not be used to take starts but to give breaks.
                Er... isn't that what is done already?
                46 wins to match last year's total

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sign Livan Hernandez, 6th-starter, long-man in the bullpen, leader, innings eater, maybe a bargining chip for some prospects.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
                    Sign Livan Hernandez, 6th-starter, long-man in the bullpen, leader, innings eater, maybe a bargining chip for some prospects.
                    Please. If the Braves signed Livan Hernandez, which they won't, he'd be in the rotation replacing James.
                    46 wins to match last year's total

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
                      Sign Livan Hernandez, 6th-starter, long-man in the bullpen, leader, innings eater, maybe a bargining chip for some prospects.
                      No thanks, Livan is pretty much only good for eating innings but the problem is those aren't actually good innings. Jeff Bennett, Chuck James, Jo-Jo Reyes or Buddy Carlyle are better for a long-man/spot starter.

                      It is great that he is a leader but that doesn't carry much weight when you have an ERA around 5.00 (he only had one below 5.00 because of Chase Field) or a pitcher who only had 11 more Ks to Walks.

                      I don't know what you mean by a bargining chip for some prospects. If you mean we could trade him midway through the season then maybe we could get a good sack of balls for him but not much else. If you mean we could sign him and maybe trade a couple of our young pitchers then that is crazy to. If there was a pitcher I was going to sign to fill the 5th spot and perhaps allow me to trade some young pitchers Livan would be just about last on my list. Here are pitchers still on the market that would be a better investment or risk then Livan.

                      Kris Benson
                      Shawn Chacon
                      Freddy Garcia
                      Kyle Lohse
                      Rodrigo Lopez
                      John Thomson
                      Extend Prado!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post

                        I think Bennett will make the team but it being in the bullpen role and a spot start every now and then. (as stated above) The problem with having a 6 man rotation is as Sam said it takes away starts from your best pitchers to give starts to lesser talented or pitchers that aren't fully developed. The Braves, in my opinion, would be dumb to take away 5 - 8 starts away from guys like Hudson and Smoltz to get James, Jair or Jo-Jo a bunch.

                        I wasn't saying that would use a 6 man rotation. For example, when smoltz was hurting last season, we didn't have anyone who could really fill-in since the back of the rotation was already so bad. I am just saying that that is much more of a possibility this year. (this is more of a possibility if hampton stays healthy).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
                          I wasn't saying that would use a 6 man rotation. For example, when smoltz was hurting last season, we didn't have anyone who could really fill-in since the back of the rotation was already so bad. I am just saying that that is much more of a possibility this year. (this is more of a possibility if hampton stays healthy).
                          I still think the Braves do that plenty already.
                          46 wins to match last year's total

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
                            I wasn't saying that would use a 6 man rotation. For example, when smoltz was hurting last season, we didn't have anyone who could really fill-in since the back of the rotation was already so bad. I am just saying that that is much more of a possibility this year. (this is more of a possibility if hampton stays healthy).
                            That doesn't seem like much of a difference from what the Braves would do. I think Bennett will be a spot starter when someone needs a break but not much to consider him anything more then a bullpen arm. I agree that they could go with spot starters once in a while but even with Smoltz being hurt he only missed about 2 or 3 starts which is a perfect situation for Bennett. I think we agree with each other.

                            I think the most likely situation is Smoltz or Glavine go on the 15-day disabled list we bring up someone like Jeff Ridgway, Chris Resop, Charlie Morton, Zach Schreiber or a few other guys to fill out the bullpen and just move Bennett to the rotation for those 15 days. I would much rather them bring up a talented pretty much fully developed bullpen arm and use Bennett then a still developing starting pitcher like Jair or Jo-Jo.

                            As for Hampton to tell the truth I am more afraid of him being ineffective then getting injured. I could deal with him going 15 average starts and then get hurt then 30 bad starts and him staying healthy. Hopefully he can stay healthy and be a average to good starter but I have more doubt about him being average to good then healthy.
                            Extend Prado!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                              No thanks, Livan is pretty much only good for eating innings but the problem is those aren't actually good innings. Jeff Bennett, Chuck James, Jo-Jo Reyes or Buddy Carlyle are better for a long-man/spot starter.

                              It is great that he is a leader but that doesn't carry much weight when you have an ERA around 5.00 (he only had one below 5.00 because of Chase Field) or a pitcher who only had 11 more Ks to Walks.

                              I don't know what you mean by a bargining chip for some prospects. If you mean we could trade him midway through the season then maybe we could get a good sack of balls for him but not much else. If you mean we could sign him and maybe trade a couple of our young pitchers then that is crazy to. If there was a pitcher I was going to sign to fill the 5th spot and perhaps allow me to trade some young pitchers Livan would be just about last on my list. Here are pitchers still on the market that would be a better investment or risk then Livan.

                              Kris Benson
                              Shawn Chacon
                              Freddy Garcia
                              Kyle Lohse
                              Rodrigo Lopez
                              John Thomson
                              Now who can actually last an entire season?:noidea

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X