• LOL.

The one I've seen popping around other message boards is:
    Manny I Costya the game.
    1914 Boston Braves
    July 5th: 15 games back.
    October 13th: World Series Champs
    (Anything is possible)
    GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Click Here (It's all you need to get fired up about the Braves).

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomahawk Dynasty View Post
      LOL.

The one I've seen popping around other message boards is:
      Manny I Costya the game.
      lol

On a more serious note I think the Braves should do some things this season looking into the future. (I know the season isn't over but to be realistic even if the Braves somehow snuck into the playoffs I doubt they would be in them for long)

Bring up Charlie Morton - Morton has struggled in his last start and in all honesty it wasn't that bad a game. Morton has nothing left to learn in Triple A his walks are down and his strikeouts are up. He has done nothing but dominate the Triple A level and really has nothing left to prove in the minors, the main question is Charlie going to struggle in the second half like he has in the past. It might be a risk but one I think the Braves need to take, they have been careful with him for the whole year but with Glavine perhaps on his way to another DL stint now is the right time.

Bring up Jordan Schafer - Yes, I know many will fear we are rushing him but right now I don't think that is true. Schafer was ready in spring in my opinion and really didn't need much polish, right now he has struggled but with a fifty game layoff from seeing real pitching that will happen. He will likely struggle right away but getting to see top tier level pitchers in low pressure situations in my opinion will help him in the long run. Many will right off his 2007 season for HGH but I can't say that was his only reason, he showed better pitch selection last season and this season has shown good power after the suspension. (6 XBHs out of the 10 he has out of 46 ABs) He has shown great defense and speed, his defense and overall offensive ability will be an improvement over anyone we have and Kotsay's latest report doesn't sound like he will be back anytime soon. Now is the time, I am sure he will struggle at times but working with Terry should help and getting time in the majors without having to produce right away should be a good thing. (Also in my opinion Terry is a good Batting Coach and before anyone says it hasn't helped Francoeur or Andruw well it takes people who are willing to change for him to have success)

DFA Corky Miller, Bring up Clint Sammons - Corky is a fine Defensive catcher but is a blackhole no matter where he is in the lineup. This is by far not a huge move but another mover to help the future, Clint will never be a threat to McCann but he will be a big upgrade over Corky as Clint is a good defensive catcher and a much better hitter over Miller.

I know some won't agree with all of these but none of them in my opinion are crazy or will really be overall bad for the team.

Other minor moves the Braves should do in my opinion.

Hampton to the Bullpen - Even if he does comeback all he would be doing is taking up a space for a young guy.

Let the Young Guys Play - Norton is a good power bat off the bench but let Anderson start and if he has success let him continue even when Diaz comes of the DL.

Sit Francoeur - I know this will never happen but I think it has to be done. Jeff has continued to struggle in his development and to me sitting him would send a clear message to everyone, I don't care if you are the "future face of the franchise" you have to earn your spot on this team.
      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• I don't get this team. They are pitiful on the road, and worse with one-run decisions. Yesterday wasn't a one-run game, and it's back below .500. Not even the 3-run first could lead the Braves to a rare road victory. They blew the lead in the third, and never could recover, except for a close comeback in the eighth. This looks like the 2006 bullpen problem again, I hate to say this. The offense is inconsistent as well, one game they score 7-10 runs, the next, they only score 3.

Who should be sent up/down from/to the minors now?

Comment

• Bring up Charlie Morton - Totally agree. With glavine on the DL and a big trade not likely soon the braves need to do something.

Bring up Jordan Schafer - I think I would wait a little longer on this. I really like the blanco/anderson duo. I would like to see anderson get a shot at leadoff maybe he could stay around a few years. Or do you think schafer is a leadoff guy? I thought he was a bit more of a power guy.

DFA Corky Miller, Bring up Clint Sammons - Totally agree. This would be good to, because the braves probably won't resign tex. I think sammons and mccann could be our catcher and 1st for a while if the braves play it right.

Hampton to the Bullpen -Purebaseballfan, I had stated this earlier on some other thread and think this is probably the only thing he can do at this point. At least get some use out of him. Would the insurance still pay for his contract though? lol

Let the Young Guys Play - Trade, cut or bench diaz. You got norton and infante as decent pinch hitters, diaz's time in atl might be limited.

Sit Francoeur - Sit him? How about trade him? think the braves could get anything for his "potential"?

Comment

• Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
            Bring up Charlie Morton - Totally agree. With glavine on the DL and a big trade not likely soon the braves need to do something.

Bring up Jordan Schafer - I think I would wait a little longer on this. I really like the blanco/anderson duo. I would like to see anderson get a shot at leadoff maybe he could stay around a few years. Or do you think schafer is a leadoff guy? I thought he was a bit more of a power guy.

DFA Corky Miller, Bring up Clint Sammons - Totally agree. This would be good to, because the braves probably won't resign tex. I think sammons and mccann could be our catcher and 1st for a while if the braves play it right.

Hampton to the Bullpen -Purebaseballfan, I had stated this earlier on some other thread and think this is probably the only thing he can do at this point. At least get some use out of him. Would the insurance still pay for his contract though? lol

Let the Young Guys Play - Trade, cut or bench diaz. You got norton and infante as decent pinch hitters, diaz's time in atl might be limited.

Sit Francoeur - Sit him? How about trade him? think the braves could get anything for his "potential"?
            I agree about Diaz just wanted to keep it short so I didn't mention trading him.

The thing about Schafer is he has good speed but also has pretty good power. He could easily be a leadoff hitter in my opinion like Hanley Ramirez, Grady Sizemore, and Chris Young a guy with good speed but also good power. (I don't think he would have the same power of Ramirez though)

I wouldn't trade Francoeur right now because that would be selling low but I would see what some may pay for him. I say sit him every couple days just to make sure he knows he can't just skate on his first fairy tale like season.
            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Bring up Charlie Morton - It seems like the best time to bring him up, but I think he should spend the rest of the year in Richmond.

Bring up Jordan Schafer - Nope, let's see how the platoon plays out and see what Kotsay's status is.

DFA Corky Miller, Bring up Clint Sammons - Yessir! I don't understand how I was ever a fan of Corky Miller. The Braves are overdo for a solid backup.

Hampton to the Bullpen - Sure, if he ever comes back.

Let the Young Guys Play - Yeah, I've never viewed Greg Norton as a full time starter.

Sit Francoeur - Nope. Let him keep striking out until he realizes isn't worth more money than Brian McCann.
              2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

• Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
                Bring up Jordan Schafer - Nope, let's see how the platoon plays out and see what Kotsay's status is.
                Here is the latest on Mark.

Originally posted by AJC.com
                Injured Kotsay on trip

Mark Kotsay accompanied the Braves on the road, but the sore-backed center fielder doesn't expect to come off the disabled list during the 10-game trip.

Kotsay has been sidelined since May 26 with a herniated disk pressing against a nerve in his lower back. He began aerobic work and other strengthening exercises over the weekend and hopes to begin "baseball activities" during the trip.
                Blanco is just not working out. He had a good start but that was mainly because he wasn't a starter and was being used well as a fourth starter. Last month he put up a a .234 BA with the only real bright spot being that he continued to walk having a .351 OBP. So far this month he has a .167 BA and a .286 OBP. I knew this one would be the most disagreed with.

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
                Sit Francoeur - Nope. Let him keep striking out until he realizes isn't worth more money than Brian McCann.
                The problem is the Braves have helped make his ego so big by basically pegging him as the next Face of the Franchise after Chipper leaves, I think the Braves need do something to make sure he knows even though he does commercials he does have to do something on the field and sitting him would do that at least in my opinion.

Bring up Charlie Morton - It seems like the best time to bring him up, but I think he should spend the rest of the year in Richmond.
                I just don't know what else he has to learn in Triple A, his main problem was he started to fall off in the second half but if it is in Triple A or the Majors nothing will change if that happens.

DFA Corky Miller, Bring up Clint Sammons - Yessir! I don't understand how I was ever a fan of Corky Miller. The Braves are overdo for a solid backup.
                It is all in the name.
                Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Unfortunately, I have bad news on Jair. Jurrjens may be heading to the DL, after last night. He twisted his ankle, and already three Braves starters are on the DL now. Jurrjens could be next to join Glavine, Smoltz and Hampton.

Comment

• This is the AJC.com writeup for Jair.

Originally posted by AJC.com
                    Jurrjens injured, will miss start vs. Cubs

By DAVID O'BRIEN
                    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
                    Published on: 06/11/08

Chicago - The way things are going for the Braves, they might want to transport Tim Hudson to the ballpark in a protective bubble for his start Thursday.

The team's rash of pitching injuries spread to rookie right-hander Jair Jurrjens, who has been scratched for tonight's start against Chicago after spraining his right ankle walking down dugout steps after Tuesday's loss to the Cubs.

Yes, the same loss from which Braves starter Tom Glavine exited after three innings due to a left elbow injury. Glavine, 42, was to return to Atlanta today for an MRI exam Thursday to determine the severity of his injury.

Some four hours before Glavine left the game, fellow Braves veteran pitcher John Smoltz had season-ending and career-threatening shoulder surgery in Birmingham, Ala.

Jeff Bennett is expected to move from the bullpen to start tonight's game against the Cubs, and top prospect Charlie Morton is likely to be brought from Class AAA Richmond to start in place of Glavine Sunday against the Angels in Anaheim, in what would be Morton's major league debut.

Outfield prospect Brandon Jones has also been recalled from Richmond to take Glavine's roster spot and was expected to be in Chicago in time for tonight's game.

The Braves, riding a four-game losing streak, will probably make another roster move within 24 hours to add another relief pitcher.
                    I expect to see Brandon Jones in the game at some point hopefully he can do better then last September.
                    Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                      Blanco is just not working out. He had a good start but that was mainly because he wasn't a starter and was being used well as a fourth starter. Last month he put up a a .234 BA with the only real bright spot being that he continued to walk having a .351 OBP. So far this month he has a .167 BA and a .286 OBP. I knew this one would be the most disagreed with.
                      Pure Baseball,

I don't think I believe Blanco is a permanent solution in the outfield. However, he is our best outfielder right now. He's working out better than Norton and Francouer.
                      "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                      -Casey Stengel

Comment

• I think Jordan Schafer and/or Brandon Jones wil be up soon.
                        "Enjoy your sweat because hard work doesn't guarantee success, but without it, you don't have a chance." -Alex Rodriguez
                        "There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens." -Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• Originally posted by Sappy3 View Post
                          I think Jordan Schafer and/or Brandon Jones wil be up soon.
                          Well, Brandon Jones is up and will join the Braves for tonight's game, I believe. I doubt that Schafer will be up anytime soon. He may have been on a tear lately, but the fact is that he hasn't had very much experience at this level. I seriously doubt that he's ready.
                          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• Originally posted by cbenson5 View Post
                            Pure Baseball,

I don't think I believe Blanco is a permanent solution in the outfield. However, he is our best outfielder right now. He's working out better than Norton and Francouer.
                            That is like saying that Mcdonald's hamburger is better then wood on a bun. I can't really say I am impressed.
                            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                              That is like saying that Mcdonald's hamburger is better then wood on a bun. I can't really say I am impressed.
                              You can say that again. We might be the only team since the live ball era commenced to have a legitimate argument that a guy with a .322 slugging percentage is our best oufielder. There has to be somebody who can hit at about league average in our organization and play outfield.
                              Last edited by cbenson5; 06-11-2008, 04:19 PM.
                              "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                              -Casey Stengel

Comment

• Originally posted by cbenson5 View Post
                                You can say that again. We might be the only team since the live ball era commenced to have a legitimate argument that a guy with a .322 slugging percentage is our best oufielder. There has to be somebody who can hit at about league average in our organization and play outfield.
                                Maybe Jordan Schafer.
                                Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X