• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    Originally posted by A.J. Burnett Rumors: Saturday
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 22 at 9:26am CST

According to Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News, the Yankees won't offer A.J. Burnett a five-year contract.

Ken Davidoff writes that Burnett's agent, Darek Brauneker, is confident that his client will sign a five-year deal somewhere.

McCarron talked to a source who said that "the Yankees are not ready to go five years." The source also said that the Red Sox are more interested in Mark Teixeira and Derek Lowe than Burnett.

The Blue Jays are still talking with Burnett, but they haven't yet offered him a deal.
    nothing much, but if CC goes to the yanks and lowe to the soxs, maybe that makes the braves near the top for burnett, assuming the bit the bullet and offer him five years. That would be a good start with tazawa and peavy still on the table. This would also, put more pressure on towers to deal peavy to the braves, one would think.

Leave a comment:

• Extra Innings
    replied
    Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    at least they plan to make an effort to re-sign him. Cannot complain. Sounds like he might even be willing to take a bit of a discount to stay in ATL.
    True. It would be nice to see Ohman return. He was extremely consistent in the pen last year and would certainly be a good addition for next years team and beyond. I think he will also take in account that the Braves held on to him at the trade deadline. Thats got to be a plus!

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    Originally posted by Braves make offer to Ohman
    Mark Bowman, mlb.com
    The Braves have said they are interested in re-signing Will Ohman and they further proved this on Monday, when they provided the left-handed reliever a contract offer. While terms of the offer weren't revealed, Ohman viewed it as a sign that he's wanted in Atlanta.

"It was a strong offer intended to show me that they'd like to have me back," said Ohman, who made a career-high 83 appearances for the Braves this past season. "I've talked to my agent and we've agreed that once you file for free agency, you just have to let everything run its course. I think I'd be remiss not to listen to what else is out there."

With at least 10 teams having already expressed interest, Ohman is hoping to receive a contract similar to the ones fellow left-handed relievers, Jeremy Affeldt and Damaso Marte, have signed over the past week. Marte gained a three-year, $12 million contract from the Yankees and Affeldt signed a two-year, $8 million deal with the Giants.
    at least they plan to make an effort to re-sign him. Cannot complain. Sounds like he might even be willing to take a bit of a discount to stay in ATL.

Leave a comment:

• Atlanta Braves Freak
    replied
    I just think we need another power hitting OF. Frenchy has shown he can't be consistent. So I think the Bravos need to hit the market and make a big splash by signing a LF.

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    i just read an article on the braves website about them not being that interested in ibanez because he's a lefty (the braves want a righty to hit behind mccann). So,i was trying to play out how a lineup would look:

1. SS position (or escobar)
    2. KJ (or prado)
    3.Chipper
    4. mccann
    5. power OF
    6. kotchman
    7. frenchy
    8. schafer/CF

I guess you could always switch KJ and kotch too, since KJ didn't do very well in the #2 spot. Plus, it would give kotchman better pitches to hit.

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    is there any articles out there that link an ibanez to the braves, at all?

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    Originally posted by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    by Dave O'Brien

Ohman reiterated what he said several times from before the July 31 no-waiver trade deadline through the end of the season: He hopes the Braves make him an offer. He enjoyed his time in Atlanta, and particularly playing for Bobby Cox, and would like to return if the Braves make a competitive offer.

His experience with the Braves was far better than the one he had for several years in Chicago with the Cubs, who traded him to Atlanta at last year’s Winter Meetings in Nashville.

“I loved it there,” Ohman said of Atlanta. “The only downsides are location, just because it makes it harder to see my family [in Arizona], and the other one is not knowing if Bobby is going to be back beyond next year. So there’s a little uncertainty in what was a certain world down there.

“But if those are the two knocks, it’s not bad. Everything else I loved. The guys on the team, the stadium, the fans … everything was good.”

Ohman also, by the way, gave a ringing endorsement to the possibility of trading for Jake Peavy. He has heard all those rumors, and said it would be a huge pickup for the Braves, to get an ace under contract for four more years, or five if the option is picked up.

“They you could sign Derek Lowe,” he said. “Imagine that potential rotation in 2010 - Hudson, Jurrjens, Peavy, Lowe ….”

With that, Ohman was back to his current occupation - playing Mr. Mom, as he put it. He sent his wife Allyson on a three-day trip to an Arizona resort in another part of the state,

“Sent her to a hotel and spa,” he said. “I get all my road trips during the season, so she gets a three-day trip when I get back.”

He told Allyson not to worry, that he’d take care of their twins, Jack and Annabel, who are about to turn 3.

“I have lots of kids,” said Ohman, who interrupted the phone call to tell his son that he’d banged away enough on the piano and that it was time to get ready for his nap.

Wait, he has “lots” of kids?

“Well, it’s just two,” Ohman said. “But it’s a lot. It’s just me here with them. It’s amazing the amount of work involved with it. Got to get ‘em up, get em ready for school, everything.”
    this certaintly seems like good news. How much do you think to keep him? 2 years and 4 or 5mil?

Leave a comment:

• PureBaseballFan
    replied
    you don't think a trade could be worked out? or are all the available pitching prospects being devoted to the peavy trade?
    No, I would have to readjust somethings in my offseason plan. Peavy would likely be out as would Burnett, in a scenario for getting Ordonez it would lower the overall level of quality pitchers the Braves would likely be able to get and for me a trade for Ordonez would have to be one to get the Tigers' to pay at least 1/3 of his remaining contract if not more. If the Braves were going to do this trade I would like to see something like this.

Atlanta Braves trade Luis Valdez, Manny Acosta, Jo-Jo Reyes and Brent Lillibridge for Magglio Ordonez and the Tigers paying 1/3 of Ordonez's contract for two years or paying the buyout in 2010 - The Tigers' needs appear to be pitching, Shortstop and Catcher, the Braves can fill two of those needs without hurting their overall depth. It is hard to gauge if this really would get it done but it would fill two of their needs. Valdez and Acosta could both go right into the Tigers' bullpen, while both could not be enough either an additional bulllpen arm or a better one over the other two could be included if deemed to little. Jo-Jo could come into Spring Training and fight for a rotation spot, since when you look at the Tigers' system most of their good starting pitching prospects are at the lower levels and even if Reyes doesn't make the team out of Spring Training having a solid backup is never a bad thing.

That would be what I would offer the first time with other names perhaps added or upgraded depending on the Tigers' demand for paying some of Ordonez's contract.

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    His name has been mentioned as a possible fit for the Braves LF need. His name brings up interesting situations.

If the Braves were to try to trade for him without giving up top quality talent by taking on his whole contract it could limit the pitchers the Braves could go after this offseason. The Braves could get a guy like Burnett at perhaps around $18 Million but combined with Ordonez's contract it would likely leave less then $10 Million for another pitcher, or they could go after lower level guys with like Garland or Sheets. (I feel the injury will hurt his eventual contract though I could be wrong)
    you don't think a trade could be worked out? or are all the available pitching prospects being devoted to the peavy trade?

Leave a comment:

• PureBaseballFan
    replied
    the braves have done deals with the tigers in the past, it could provide some of that pen help, via minor league prospects or guys like acosta and maybe trading frenchy or something.. i am not very good with working out the specifics of a trade deal... but could the braves acquire ordonez? I do like him better than ibanez and he would provide some pop in the lineup.

also, garrett anderson of the angels was released, he might be another decent option.
    His name has been mentioned as a possible fit for the Braves LF need. His name brings up interesting situations.

If the Braves were to try to trade for him without giving up top quality talent by taking on his whole contract it could limit the pitchers the Braves could go after this offseason. The Braves could get a guy like Burnett at perhaps around $18 Million but combined with Ordonez's contract it would likely leave less then $10 Million for another pitcher, or they could go after lower level guys with like Garland or Sheets. (I feel the injury will hurt his eventual contract though I could be wrong)

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    Originally posted by MLBtraderumors.com

Lynn Henning of the Detroit News looks at the Tigers' offseason situation this morning. The Tigers need help in the bullpen and at shortstop and catcher. They don't have the payroll room to support this shopping list, so a trade of Magglio Ordonez may be necessary.

Ordonez, 35 in January, hit .317/.376/.494 in 623 plate appearances this year. Assuming 457 plate appearances in 2009, Ordonez is owed $51MM over the next three seasons ($17MM per year on average). That's about market value. Henning says the Tigers could trade Ordonez mainly for salary relief, or eat money to get better players in return. My guess at possible suitors: the Rays, Reds, and Phillies.

Henning figures that money, as opposed to lost draft picks, might make it difficult for the Tigers to wade into the free agent market to fill their needs.
    the braves have done deals with the tigers in the past, it could provide some of that pen help, via minor league prospects or guys like acosta and maybe trading frenchy or something.. i am not very good with working out the specifics of a trade deal... but could the braves acquire ordonez? I do like him better than ibanez and he would provide some pop in the lineup.

also, garrett anderson of the angels was released, he might be another decent option.
    Last edited by chip&smoltz95; 10-28-2008, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PureBaseballFan
    replied
    yea, i mentioned the jackson idea earlier. i like that too, but like you said, what do the rays need? (that the braves can give)

who is matt young? what level?

i like norton,because of his ability to play limited time in the OF if necessary.

You don't think julio is better than marek? or is it just a money issue?
    If I had to think of a possible deal for Jackson I think 2 relief pitchers and a low to mid level prospect.

Matt Young is a 27 year old "prospect" that overall could likely produce the same sort of numbers that Blanco did or better. What limits him is his size at 5'8" but he has the same sort of speed as Blanco and slightly better power so he gets the nod over Blanco for me.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=457568

The reason I feel Norton can be let go is the ability of Infante to play LF or even Lillibridge in an emergency.

I don't think Marek is better at this point (might be in the future) but in my scenario the Braves would likely be spending around $11 to $13 Million on three guys in the bullpen and even another 1 guy like Julio getting $1 is hard to fit into the budget while leaving room for possible injury signings.

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    B. Jones could be traded (perhaps in a Edwin Jackson trade) but right now I see him as the 4th OF. If the Braves do trade him then I would replace him with Matt Young instead of Blanco. (Young is basically the same as Blanco but with slightly better power)

Norton is a money issue if we instead traded for Jackson then he could comeback but saving $600 K with Canizeras is worth it to me.

Julio is another roster cut because the bullpen is already crowded. If the Braves were to get another different starting pitcher Julio could return but the bullpen is already pretty crowded so I don't think his return is a sure thing.
    yea, i mentioned the jackson idea earlier. i like that too, but like you said, what do the rays need? (that the braves can give)

who is matt young? what level?

i like norton,because of his ability to play limited time in the OF if necessary.

You don't think julio is better than marek? or is it just a money issue?

Leave a comment:

• PureBaseballFan
    replied
    okay, first off.. i love your post! until college basketball starts.. i am still in baseball mode!

second, i love all your offseason moves "mr. wren". although, I wonder about winning a bidding war for AJ with other possible suitors being the yankees, etc. Also, do you think that none of the threee (smoltz, glavine and hampton) will be back? I guess it's too early to tell for that. I wonder if smoltz cannot go if glavine will automatically retire, and if hampton gets no other offers (make not happen in this pitching deprived league) that the braves will invite him back for the someone under a mil i would think.

About the bench, I like most of the choices, although I think I would keep norton, he's a pretty good "clutch" PH, i am assuming that b.jones will get traded or something. I know that doesn't really give the braves a fourth OF, but will frenchy, anderson and ibanez they COULD play most of the games and norton and infante could be emergency fill-ins.

I like canizeras too. Good bat indeed, and he could even platoon if kotch struggles.

Finally, no jorge julio? I thought he deserved a return visit, if he can fit into the budget.

Sorry, the responses are kinda scattered, i am a little tired.
    When it comes to AJ I think the Yankees will be locking onto CC and will be in a bidding war for his services. I think the Braves could sneak in there and get a deal done before the Yankees are done with a deal with guys like CC, Tex or Manny. If the Braves couldn't get a deal done for him then my backup plan would be looking for another trade for someone like Edwin Jackson, hard to say what the Rays need but perhaps a couple of bullpen arms and another low prospect.

B. Jones could be traded (perhaps in a Edwin Jackson trade) but right now I see him as the 4th OF. If the Braves do trade him then I would replace him with Matt Young instead of Blanco. (Young is basically the same as Blanco but with slightly better power)

Norton is a money issue if we instead traded for Jackson then he could comeback but saving $600 K with Canizeras is worth it to me.

Julio is another roster cut because the bullpen is already crowded. If the Braves were to get another different starting pitcher Julio could return but the bullpen is already pretty crowded so I don't think his return is a sure thing.

Leave a comment:

• Extra Innings
    replied
    That is why we shouldn't get to up. There are several questions about that bullpen, Moylan is coming of a Tommy John, Soriano's elbow was a mystery all season, Smoltz isn't clear if he is still able to pitch and Boyer was overworked and will the Braves will need to make sure his arm is fine. I am not trying to rain of the parade but if I am Wren the only one I count on in that group is Gonzo and even he has questions.
    To me atleast, I thought last year's bullpen was going to be stellar with Soriano closing and Moylan in the setup role plus the addition of Mike Gonzalez at midseason. Then came the injuries. Their was just some bad breaks going around then. They are some guys that will be questionable this year, but I think they will be able to come through.

BTW, nice plan

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X