Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoltz says he's coming back as a reliever

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Smoltz says he's coming back as a reliever

    But Smoltz did say if the Braves make the playoffs, he would consider starting. What are your thoughts?

    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

  • #2
    fine by me. the pen needs as much help right now as the starters. If you assume that huddy and glavine are okay, then you got jurrjens. then i guess you keep bennett around and bring reyes up(he's been pretty good lately).

    possible pen after injuries: gonzo, smoltz, ohman, acosta, campillo, (soriano, resop, ring, boyer for the last two spots)

    Comment


    • #3
      Hopefully, Smoltz can give the Braves some quality out the pen. I said before that I'll support him in whatever he does and I hope that he becomes a great reliever again.
      46 wins to match last year's total

      Comment


      • #4
        I think the starters might start getting frustrated if they don't start getting some run support. Smoltz being in the pen is going to help their confidence for sure.
        I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
        Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

        Comment


        • #5
          Is Smoltz signed through 2009? I'd like to see him get 200 saves if he stays in the bullpen.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BenHertz View Post
            Is Smoltz signed through 2009? I'd like to see him get 200 saves if he stays in the bullpen.
            He has a $12 million option for 2009, but who knows if he's going to retire or not. There's no gaurantee that he's going to be the closer, either. However, that does seem like it'll be the most likely option considering Acosta's recent "failures".
            Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 05-01-2008, 08:42 AM.
            46 wins to match last year's total

            Comment


            • #7
              I thought I heard he had a rotator cuff problem, is that acurate ? Are you expexting him back soon ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                He has a $12 million option for 2009, but who knows if he's going to retire or not. There's no gaurantee that he's going to be the closer, either. However, that does seem like it'll be the most likely option considering Acosta's recent "failures".
                Am i sensing some sarcasm in that "failures" comment? Cause other than last night(which i think he was getting tired going three innings), he had not given up a run since march 31(his first appearance). I would feel pretty good about a smotlz, gonzo, acosta, maybe soriano.. 6th-9th.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I kinda think Acost was left in the game too long last night. I think he should have only pitched two innings, because you could tell he was tired in his third inning.
                  "I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me, a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown." -Hank Aaron

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
                    Am i sensing some sarcasm in that "failures" comment? Cause other than last night(which i think he was getting tired going three innings), he had not given up a run since march 31(his first appearance). I would feel pretty good about a smotlz, gonzo, acosta, maybe soriano.. 6th-9th.
                    Yeah, I was being sarcastic. That's why I put it in quotes.
                    46 wins to match last year's total

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thing is...Bobby Cox has said before that he is going to retire when Smoltzie does...

                      Folks, its time to face reality...we went back to times past when Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux owned the game. Each ....each have mentioned that this would be their last year. Those that remember would recall that Cox should have already retired this year....

                      Its too late for Smoltzie to get 50+ saves this year...although if he continues into next year...with no injuries...he could be the only 200/200 pitcher in the history of the game...oh yeah, w/ 3,000+ SO's along with all the surguries.

                      I am by no means throwing in the white towel...but, ...we need to build off of Jair...

                      Let Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, and Cox, ...all retire and enter the HOF in the same year...what kind of a headline would that bring??

                      I know, I know, I will hear all of the Palmer and Orioles comparisons....but, its not quite the same thing.

                      We have some guys...some (good) guys that are not quite 10/5 yet...so lets use them...lets build our farm system...like the Marlins continually do....lets see how good Frank Wren is....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i think the braves are already doing that. Nonetheless, if smoltz and glavine wanna keep pitching I got zero objections, because I KNOW they can still help the team win. Also, I am not so sure cox will retire after this season. Probably depends a lot on how the season ends. Either way I think pendleton would be a good replacement, if given the chance.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good point...I think the job is Pendletons to loose.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Pendleton?

                            I know that Pendleton was interviewing for managing positions a couple of off seasons ago. I am not sure how those interviews went but obviously he didn't get the job. Could it have been the Braves pressuring him to be patient and wait for Cox to retire?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RonGant View Post
                              I know that Pendleton was interviewing for managing positions a couple of off seasons ago. I am not sure how those interviews went but obviously he didn't get the job. Could it have been the Braves pressuring him to be patient and wait for Cox to retire?
                              It may have been that, but the jobs he lost or dropped out of were given to much more deserving candidates (IMO). Manny Acta won the Nats job and he probably had the benefit of Frank Robinson. Robinson first hired Acta when he was manager of the Expos back in 2002, so he probably had some input on that particular hire. But, I'd really like to see him as the next Braves manager, if not Pendleton, then I say we bring in someone who had previous affiliations with the franchise.
                              2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X