No announcement yet.

Jurrjens' innings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I think we don't need to worry about his innings/pitch count because the kid is doing such a great job. Cox knows what he is doing with young pitchers as Rpollard86 pointed out. No case with any pitcher is ever the same as another pitcher's case. Right now I think JJ is being handled well by the Braves and I think he will be over 200 innings......successfully. I look for great things from him.

.....Yeah Extra Innings, I hear "great things" about Pelfrey as well......We'll I have been 100x more impressed by JJ so far than by Pelfrey. Go Braves!
    Last edited by BravesFanForever; 05-22-2008, 09:22 AM.
    "I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me, a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown." -Hank Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by BravesFanForever View Post
      Yeah, I think we don't need to worry about his innings/pitch count because the kid is doing such a great job. Cox knows what he is doing with young pitchers as Rpollard86 pointed out. No case with any pitcher is ever the same as another pitcher's case. Right now I think JJ is being handled well by the Braves and I think he will be over 200 innings......successfully. I look for great things from him.

.....Yeah Extra Innings, I hear "great things" about Pelfrey as well......We'll I have been 100x more impressed by JJ so far than by Pelfrey. Go Braves!
      not making excuses cause you can only blame the mets, but i heard last night that pelfrey had only 10 starts before being called to the big leagues (none above AA). wow! just stupid i think! You can deal he has a good fastball just no good other pitches right now. I almost feel sorry for him, but he's a met and it's good for the braves. so

Comment

Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
        not making excuses cause you can only blame the mets, but i heard last night that pelfrey had only 10 starts before being called to the big leagues (none above AA). wow! just stupid i think! You can deal he has a good fastball just no good other pitches right now. I almost feel sorry for him, but he's a met and it's good for the braves. so
        Well that is the one consistent problem I have seen with the Mets over the years. They just rush guys look at the likes of Milledge, Gomez, Pelfrey and even Reyes. The Mets just don't seem to have the patience to fully develop someone in the minors so that they are ready to play in the majors.
        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
          Well that is the one consistent problem I have seen with the Mets over the years. They just rush guys look at the likes of Milledge, Gomez, Pelfrey and even Reyes. The Mets just don't seem to have the patience to fully develop someone in the minors so that they are ready to play in the majors.
          yea, it goes without saying that the braves are one of the best (if not the best) in all of baseball about making sure their players are ready to and know how to play when they hit the bigs.

Comment

Originally posted by BravesFanForever View Post
            It is not always the case as with Willis and Sanchez. Look at C.C. Sabathia for example. He had 210 innings when he was 22 years old and has had around 190-200plus since then in every season except for one in which he has 188 innings. He had 180 his first season (21 years old). While he has not had a good season until a few starts ago, he has maintained a steady status and has quickly become a star, while maintaining health and pitching quality. Brandon Web had 180 in his first season while being 24, which is quite different than 22 but still, is quite impressive, and look at his stuff now. And while the verdict is still out on King Felix, he had 190 innings his 20 and 21 year and had an era of 3.93 his 21 year, which is impressive to me. So far he has not shown any form of fatigue yet, but then again he is still young. Jake Peavy had 194 innings when he was 22-23 and progressively has only gotten better as well. I think this shows that it is not the case for everyone. Some pitchers who have pitched more than 170 their first year can succeed and look how good they are now--Sabathia, Webb, Peavy; just to name a few.
            Another example I forgot was Kazmir, who at 21 pitched 186 innings and at 23 had 206.2 innings. He is doing quite fine right now I would say. JJ will be fine.
            "I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me, a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown." -Hank Aaron

Comment

Any evidence that Jurrjens' current injury problems were usage related? Or is it just one of those things?

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                Any evidence that Jurrjens' current injury problems were usage related? Or is it just one of those things?
                He sprained his ankle leaving the dugout or park, so it was just one of those things.
                46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

so he's at about 130innings, and I caught this yesterday when I was watching part of the cubs game (they were talking about doing this for lincecum and volquez. Should the braves be "shutting him down"? Miss a couple starts here and there. I mean no need to burn thru the innings, the braves are clearly not competitors.

Comment

so he's at about 130innings, and I caught this yesterday when I was watching part of the cubs game (they were talking about doing this for lincecum and volquez. Should the braves be "shutting him down"? Miss a couple starts here and there. I mean no need to burn thru the innings, the braves are clearly not competitors.
                    It's not the innings that matter; it's the pitch count. They'll surely be keeping him on a 100-pitch count. It seems a little counter-intuitive to deny Jurrjens some experience pitching for the sake of saving his arm.

Comment

I actually do want to hold him out of a start once and a while but not for saving his arm, I want him to sit out to make sure the Braves start losing a little more. I want a top 15 draft pick so that the Braves can then go out on the free agent market grab a Sheets or CC and not have to lose their 1st round pick.
                      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                        I actually do want to hold him out of a start once and a while but not for saving his arm, I want him to sit out to make sure the Braves start losing a little more. I want a top 15 draft pick so that the Braves can then go out on the free agent market grab a Sheets or CC and not have to lose their 1st round pick.
                        The Braves are going to be losing a lot even if Jurrjens continues to pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                          The Braves are going to be losing a lot even if Jurrjens continues to pitch.
                          Better safe the sorry.
                          Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X