Brandon Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Jones

Hey, how about B Jones? He has been really killing it offensively. ESPN and Baseball Tonight praised the Reds's Bruce, but how about the start B Jones has gotten off too. I think he is 8 of 15 since being put in the starting line up. He has sparked the Braves in their series against the Angels and their game against Colorado.

Side Note: JJ looked great tonight; looks like the start off really gave him some much needed rest.
    "I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me, a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown." -Hank Aaron

That's true.

Brandon Jones is just having that "beginner's luck". ;P However, I think he probably has it all together this time. He'll be fine.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
      That's true.

Brandon Jones is just having that "beginner's luck". ;P However, I think he probably has it all together this time. He'll be fine.

Beginner's luck as in Charles Thomas?? Regardless, I would really love to see him continue having success. It doesn't hurt to have another 'Jones' in the lineup. The more ABs he's given, the more he'll learn and the better he'll be.
      My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
        Beginner's luck as in Charles Thomas?? Regardless, I would really love to see him continue having success. It doesn't hurt to have another 'Jones' in the lineup. The more ABs he's given, the more he'll learn and the better he'll be.
        Or the more he improves the better player the Braves will be able to get in return.
        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
          Or the more he improves the better player the Braves will be able to get in return.
          That's not a given.

As for the "beginner's luck" comment, I'm referring more to Jay Bruce than Charles Thomas. Thomas caught on fire and stayed that way, enough to dupe a guy like Billy Beane. ;P

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
            That's not a given.
            I doubt Brandon has much of a future with Atlanta as the Braves have strong outfield prospects. Schafer likely will be ready by next year, Gorky is proving he is ready for a callup to Double A soon and Heyward is likely to finish the season in Myrtle Beach. I wouldn't be shocked if Gorky and Schafer are in the Arizona Fall League and if they play well are going into spring training to compete for a job.

Brandon Jones might not be traded this year but I doubt he has a long term place on this team.
            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

I doubt Brandon has much of a future with Atlanta as the Braves have strong outfield prospects. Schafer likely will be ready by next year, Gorky is proving he is ready for a callup to Double A soon and Heyward is likely to finish the season in Myrtle Beach. I wouldn't be shocked if Gorky and Schafer are in the Arizona Fall League and if they play well are going into spring training to compete for a job.

Brandon Jones might not be traded this year but I doubt he has a long term place on this team.
              But he has one right now, and that's all we need. It would only work if the Braves are out of it. If they trade him this year and they've got some kind of a shot at the playoffs, they're shooting themselves in the foot (that is, if Jones continues to produce).

Comment

so PBF, what does your dream OF look like next year? Do you trade frenchy?

schafer, frenchy(if not traded) and blanco, anderson, jones and gorky for the last two spots?

even the way frenchy is playing couldn't you get more value trading him versus jones?

Comment

Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post

schafer, frenchy(if not traded) and blanco, anderson, jones and gorky for the last two spots?

even the way frenchy is playing couldn't you get more value trading him versus jones?
                  Next years outfield is next year's problem. IMO, it will be very competitive to fill the CF and LF spots. I want to say that whoever is seeing playing time this season will have the upper hand going into next season, i.e. Brandon Jones and Gregor Blanco. Schafer will probably see the majors early/mid-summer and could takeover the CF duties soon after. I pick Jones/Blanco/Francoeur as my opening day outfield. Although I'm wondering what will happen to Matt Diaz? With the talented youth coming up, will this be his last year in a Braves uniform?
                  My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Yes, you could get more for Francoeur but as much as people are on his back he is a better player then Brandon Jones and with the likely departure of Tex I can't see the Braves hurting their offense even more by trading Francoeur.

I see the most likely OF being something along the lines of : Francoeur RF :: Schafer CF :: B. Jones/Free Agent or Minor trade

The way B. Jones is playing I doubt he is traded this year maybe during the offseason but I can't see anything happening with him this year. There are a few factors that could play into the possible outfield situation.

I think Gorkys Hernandez will move up to Double A before August 1 which is the cutoff date for AFL eligibility. If Gorkys plays well in Double A and the AFL I think he could be a good sleeper to actually start in LF. Gorkys is an interesting player he would add great defense to a normally weak position and his speed could easily help with the leadoff spot. Also he is a righty which I think the Braves would like to add as the Braves lineup seems to be counting on key left handed batters. (Chipper is an overall better hitter from the left side and Tex really makes you wonder why he is a switch hitter at times)

As for Schafer he made it really hard for the Braves not to put him on the team right out of spring training. Schafer in the 6th or 7th spot would add a potent bat in what is perhaps the weakest part of the Braves lineup. I really doubt at the end of the baseball season Schafer will not have at leasted played in a Major League game.

My real dream outfield is actually likely 2 or 3 years away and looks more like this : Gorkys Hernandez LF :: Jordan Schafer CF :: Jason Heyward RF. I think at the end of the day either Francoeur or Gorkys will be traded with the two talented lefty bats of Heyward and Schafer being the true future of the Braves.

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                    I pick Jones/Blanco/Francoeur as my opening day outfield. Although I'm wondering what will happen to Matt Diaz? With the talented youth coming up, will this be his last year in a Braves uniform?
                    I doubt Blanco is starting next year since the only real reason he is starting right now is because they don't really have any better options or don't want to rush people. Though for a time I was blinded and wanted him to be a leadoff hitter I can understand why he shouldn't, Blanco doesn't steal enough or get extra base hits to really be a factor in the leadoff spot. I doubt Schafer is not starting in CF next year if it is down to Blanco or Schafer.

Matt Diaz is hard to place on this team as I don't think he will have a place. I think Norton is better suited as a PH then Diaz since Diaz lacks enough power to make a true difference. I could see Diaz in some minor deal sort of like the Tony Pena Jr. deal to Kansas City or Josh Anderson trade of Houston.
                    Extend Prado!!!

Comment

So.....do we trade Frenchy to get some value or do we not trade him because he is popular? Hhmmm. I like the guy, I really do. As you all now, I have defended him as much as I could, but I don't really think he is in the future plans. He will want MUCH more money than he deserves. The Braves offered him in the ballpark of McCann's amount and even up to Carl Crawford's amount. (But these two guys are better than Frenchy). The only real plus in Frenchy is his amazing arm. I would love to see Gorky/Schafer in center, Anderson in right possibly and B Jones in left. I don't really know much about their arm strength. I am a big fan of Blanco and would also like to see him out there a lot. I think he will only get better. As for Matt Diaz, I don't know how solid he is. He was great last year as a pinch hitter and spot start outfielder, but he isn't an everyday player. Maybe trade him to get what you can or keep him as a pinch hitter.

Yes, I like Norton better as a pinch hitter over Diaz though.
                      I would still like to see the Braves get Carl Crawford, even though that is unlikely. I would like to see Crawford/(Gorky or Shafer)/Anderson possibly as well.
                      "I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me, a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown." -Hank Aaron

Comment

yea i think anderson should be in the mix still or at least get a shot. I thought he played well in his latest stint. He's got okay leadoff skills. I think also he is more mlb ready than gorky right now and possibly next year too.

Comment

Originally posted by BravesFanForever View Post
                          I would love to see Gorky/Schafer in center, Anderson in right possibly and B Jones in left. I don't really know much about their arm strength. I am a big fan of Blanco and would also like to see him out there a lot. I think he will only get better. As for Matt Diaz, I don't know how solid he is. He was great last year as a pinch hitter and spot start outfielder, but he isn't an everyday player. Maybe trade him to get what you can or keep him as a pinch hitter.

Yes, I like Norton better as a pinch hitter over Diaz though.
                          I would still like to see the Braves get Carl Crawford, even though that is unlikely. I would like to see Crawford/(Gorky or Shafer)/Anderson possibly as well.
                          If the Braves thought Gorkys and Schafer were both ready I doubt Anderson would be starting.

yea i think anderson should be in the mix still or at least get a shot. I thought he played well in his latest stint. He's got okay leadoff skills. I think also he is more mlb ready than gorky right now and possibly next year too.
                          Anderson is more MLB ready right now but I am not sure he will be at the beginning of next year. Anderson is a good 4th outfielder but I don't think he is a starting quality OF. If Gorkys proves he is ready in AFL and Spring Training I just can't see Anderson starting over him only because Gorkys is seen as having higher upside then Anderson ever will.

My guess is next year Blanco and Anderson will be fighting for the fourth outfield position, Gorkys will be the starting CFer for Mississippi and Francoeur, Schafer and either Brandon Jones or someone added through FA/Trade.
                          Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X