Noticing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noticing

I don't think Bobby Cox is the one to blame for the teams struggles, because right after they let former pitching coach Leo Mezzone leave the the team and replaced him with Roger McDowell as the pitching coach, the team has struggled to be successful. Has anyone else noticed this?

I think the main problem is Roger Mcdowell doesn't have what it takes to be a successful pitching coach.

Originally posted by Bravesdog View Post
    I don't think Bobby Cox is the one to blame for the teams struggles, because right after they let former pitching coach Leo Mezzone leave the the team and replaced him with Roger McDowell as the pitching coach, the team has struggled to be successful. Has anyone else noticed this?

I think the main problem is Roger Mcdowell doesn't have what it takes to be a successful pitching coach.
    You're wrong. Very wrong. The problem is a combination of an inconsistent offense, injuries to half the team, including two important starting pitchers and two very important bullpen pieces, and an overworked bullpen. None of this is McDowell's fault.

Welcome to Baseball Fever, by the way.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 06-22-2008, 09:07 AM.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by Bravesdog View Post

You do understand that Atlanta had the 6th best ERA in all of MLB last year (3rd in NL) and now have the fifth best ERA this year (2nd in NL), all while the Baltimore Orioles pitching staff led by Leo Mazzone ranked 29th both seasons he was the pitching coach. McDowell to me has proven to be a fine pitching coach that deserves a lot of praise for holding a bullpen, that started the season with a great setup man/closer in Mike Gonzalez already on the DL and adding the Braves top bullpen arms of Moylan and Soriano to that list, and still helping the Braves to have one of the top pitching staffs in the league.

The main problem with the Braves is for a few obvious reasons like Key Injuries (Mark Kotsay, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Peter Moylanand Rafeal Soriano), like Sam said a completely inconsistent offense that can get 12 hits against Johan Santana one game and then struggle to score against Jarrod Washburn, Francoeur and Teixeira not producing nearly as well as they could and Gregor Blanco and Greg Norton having to start games on a consistent basis.
      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Sam and PBF are right. It has nothing, and I mean nothing to do with Roger M. The rotation has been doing great so far. JJ has done a superb job, Reyes is improving and starting to look like the pitcher we thought he could be, Hudson has been doing his thing, Morton is still young, but has shown some glimpses of what he can do, and Campillo had his first bad outing, but other than that he has been lights out. The bullpen for the most part has been steady.

The problem is that the offense is inconsistent. Yeah we have a great offense, but at times they struggle, namely with runners in scoring position (Frenchy especially). He has gotten more chances with the bases loaded than anyone else on the team, but hasn't done as well with runners in scoring position as he did in his previous years. We need a healthy Chipper in the lineup, a powerful Tex, and our 1-2 hitters to get on base.
        "I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me, a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown." -Hank Aaron

Comment

don't forget that the defense hasn't been that stellar either. The braves are tied for 7th in the NL with errors. Also, the clutch hitting of course. I am not sure how to find the stat that tells the team's average with runners in scoring position and/or scoring position with less than two outs, but I am sure it's low.

If we are talking about the pen though, I would put the blame more on bobby for calling in or leaving in pitchers at certain situations. (leaving manny in for that third inning against the nats, boyer for that third inning against texas and calling in ridgeway against tex recently, come to mind off the top of my head)

Comment

Very good points chip&smoltz. Nicely put.
            "I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me, a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown." -Hank Aaron

Comment

Well I was going to provide some input, but everyone else has said what I was going to say.
              My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X