No announcement yet.

2006 Braves Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Braves lost 5-4, but almost tied it in the 9th of of Derrick Turnbow. The bullpen looked more steady in this game, but the main point is that we've lost 3 straight.
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

• We gotta win in the next series for obvious reasons.
      Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

• First time the Brewers ever swept the Braves

As far as I can tell, this is the first time the Brewers have ever swept a series of the Braves.

The good news is McCann is still doing an excellent job this season, he finished 3 for 3 with a RBI, plus he threw out a runner trying to steal in the 2nd inning. His fourth AB was considered a sac fly. He was the only regular in the lineup who didn't strikeout during the game.

April was going to be a hard month with all these roads games. So far the Braves have only played 6 home games, and 16 road games. Thats got to be tough. Add in all those injuries and the hard first week by the starting pitches, its no wonder the Braves are sitting at 9 - 12.

Maybe being at home can jumpstart the offense again and get all the guys in the lineup above .250. I also hope to see Prado get some more time.

Season Averages:
        Jeff Francoeur - .190
        Adam LaRoche - .221
        Marcus Giles - .215
        Last edited by grizzly451; 04-27-2006, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by grizzly451
          Maybe being at home can jumpstart the offense again and get all the guys in the lineup above .250. I also hope to see Prado get some more time.
          That will be tough since he was sent back down when Chipper came off the DL.
          I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

• Originally posted by jpenrod
            That will be tough since he was sent back down when Chipper came off the DL.

Thats why I said I hope to see Prado get some more time. As in time on the Braves roster. Since he hardly had time for a cup of coffee before being sent back down.

Comment

• Originally posted by grizzly451
              Thats why I said I hope to see Prado get some more time. As in time on the Braves roster. Since he hardly had time for a cup of coffee before being sent back down.
              Soryy, I did not know if you were aware he was sent down, I had to do some research yesterday to find out who they sent back down. I am with you though, I would like to see him get some more hacks in the bigs, but I figure they wanted him someplace he could be playing everyday.
              I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

• The Braves get a well needed off day today, April has been a tough month and hopefully May can be the start of a winning streak (when I remove the Mets avy). Here's a grade for the month of April:

ABF's Grades

Starting Pitching- Started slow, but they have come around as of late. I'm anticipating the return of Horacio Ramirez so Jorge Sosa can go to the pen and John Thomson can stay in the rotation. Grade:C-

Star Player: John Thomson (2 quality starts out of 3, 1.31 ERA)

Relief Pitching- No question they are bad, but not as bad as I thought they'd be. Also, check out the number in my sig! Grade:D

Star Player: Oscar Villarreal (4-0, 1.80 ERA)

Hitting- Strong performaces by Andruw, McCann, Langerhans, Renteria, and Betemit have kept the offense afloat. If Chipper can stay healthy and Giles, Laroche, and Francoeur can break out of slumps this offense will be SCARY. If the bench could be more clutch the grade would be better. Grade:C-

Star Player: Andruw Jones

Fielding- 12 errors through twenty-one games isn't bad. There was an error by Brian Jordan and he is learning a new position. So the good fielding gets a good grade. Grade:A

Coaching- Terry has to get on his job and Roger McDowell is still working and Bobby and the bench crew haven't particualrly done well managing defensive shifts. Grade: C+

Side Notes: Our highest paid player is Mike Hampton who is out for the season. Braves starting pitchers have only made 5 quality starts.

Upcoming Schedule: April 28-30 (home), NYM Mets
                May 1-2 (home), Colorado
                May 3-4 (away), Philadelphia
                May 5-7 (away), NYM Mets
                May 9-12 (away), Florida

Tell me what you think, this will be good conversation.

Comment

• GB's April Grades

Rotation: D+ ....Smoltz barring 1 start has been awful. Hudson barring one start has been awful. Davies and Thomson have both pitched very well. Sosa has been very awful.

Honorable Mention: Thomson, wasn't even supposed to be with the braves and has pitched award worthy.

Bullpen: B- ..... The bullpen has been pretty good I believe. Villarreal, Cormier, and James all have ERA's under 3. Ray has been reliable and has only had one bad outing. Remlinger has had bad luck but still has a .237 opp. BA. Reitsma has had shaky outings but has only 1 blown save. So despite a few games it has been exceptional.

Honorable Mention: Ken Ray, the guy was never projected to be on the team, until the very end of spring training. Gotta give the guy Kudos for his great job.

Lineup: C+ .... They showed us how capable they can be at the beginning of the season, but has slacked off recently. I say this is largely because of Chipper and Edgar being out, who are big offensive forces in the lineup. I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Honorable Mention: Langerhans, Andruw, and McCann. All have been consistent. Nobody is exactly learning running away with this.

Defense: A .... We've done very well. Jordan has played well at 1B. Andruw has played great. Giles and Francoeur aren't looking smooth in the field and this makes me feel ill at ease.

Honorable Mention: Wilson Betemit. Has played well when stuck in the game.

Overall April Grade: C- The team hasn't played that bad, it's just been un-lucky.

Comment

• I see you agreed with my defensive grade, I wasn't really sure about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
                      I see you agreed with my defensive grade, I wasn't really sure about that.
                      Totally Agreed.

They've been a bright side to this club. Except for a Jodan throw and Langerhans dive occasionally, they've been superb.

Comment

• Check this out...

Link

Comment

• I used some of ABF's stuff, but it should all be in italics

Starting Pitching- Started horribly, but are finally coming around. I certainly agree about Sosa, but I'd rather see Chuck James get a shot at the rotation, before Ramirez. Let Ramirez loosen up a little in the pen for a few days while James gets a chance. Davies has started to look more impressive the last two starts. Grade:C

Star Player: I guess Thomson, though I almost don't think he's pitched enough yet. Maybe Co-Stars of Smoltz and Thomson

Relief Pitching- A few nasty outing of an otherwise OK bullpen. To me they have good potential for the season. Grade:C

Star Player: Oscar Villarreal (4-0, 1.80 ERA) agree there

Hitting- I agree with ABF's strong performances. LaRoche's numbers I feel will average themselves out the longer the season goes by to what we all pretty well expected. Francoeur is still in the slump he was in at the end of last season. See my below post for more. The bench is doing OK, but like ABF said need to step up their clutch hitting. Grade:C+

Star Player: Andruw Jones, maybe Brian McCann too

Fielding- Is fine with me. Errors are a little high to my liking but still fine. Grade:B+

Coaching- Terry has to get on his job and Roger McDowell is still working and Bobby and the bench crew haven't particualrly done well managing defensive shifts.

I think they are overall doing poorly. Pendleton needs to wake up and realize that a few of these guys either aren't listening to him or what he is trying to get them to do isn't working. McDowell I think is mainly differences in style with Mazzone still working itself out. He is beginning to feel comfortable. Grade: D+

Side Notes: Our highest paid player is Mike Hampton who is out for the season. Braves starting pitchers have only made 5 quality starts. Sad but true on both counts. I look forward to seeing Davies pitch more I really think he has some good potential.

Comment

• I definetly think they'll bring Ramirez on slowly, he probably won't come back pitching 6 innings, maybe 2 here and 3 there.

Comment

• Tonight with Renteria comming back, and the need for Tony Pena less and less. When will the braves send Pena down and call up probably Macay McBride?

I believe McBride is the logical choice to call up. The guy has closer stuff, and was solid last year comming out of the pen. This year in the minors he has more K than innings pitched and has pitched well in AAA.

If you don't call up McBride, Peter Moylan is next in line. He got his 1st game in last time he was up, and pitched well.

I'd say Pena goes down and Mcbride or Moylan come up by the end of the weekend.

I suspect our bullpen to shape out like this...

LR L Chuck James
                              LR R Ken Ray
                              MR L Macay McBride
                              MR R Lance Cormier
                              MR L Mike Remlinger
                              SU R Oscar Villarreal

CL R Chris Reitsma

And that's pretty good.

Comment

• I want to let everyone know that we have made 255 posts (including this one) in this thread and it's only April! I love the activity we're recieving. Our goal is to get more than 512 posts, which was the number from the Season thread from 2005. We want to reach this goal honestly, not by making posts with no substance.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X