Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, What should we do with Jeff Francoeur?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, What should we do with Jeff Francoeur?

Its an interesting question that was posted on Mlbtraderumors.com.. I would also, like to discuss it here. People on that site keep saying ridiculous stuff such as trading for Grady Sizemore or trading for Adrian Gonzales. Although I would love to have either of those guys I would like to keep things a bit more realistic.

Can we trade for Carlos Lee or Jermaine Dye? Do we have the money to do so? What are your thoughts? I definitely think that we need to add some power to our lineup but without compromising our farm. Discuss.....

In his blog over at MLB.com, Mark Bowman lays out the offensive woes of the Atlanta outfield, and in the comments section, Bowman even ponders the potential release of Jeff Francoeur:

"When I look at myself in the mirror, I'd have to say that my fault is that I've given Francoeur a break for far too long. There's no doubt that the leniency stems from the fact that he's a great guy. But at the end of the day we all have a job to do. My job is to relay information to the public and thus, I've written two entries this week preparing you for the possibility that Frenchy's days in Atlanta might be numbered. It will be very difficult for the Braves to trade him. As for a return to the Minors, I don't know if that would help anybody. Thus, you can't ignore the possibility that if things don't improve soon there's a definite possibility that they could release him."

Here's some of the unfortunate "highlights" of the Braves' struggles, if you can call them that:

In 12 games since being activated from the DL, Garret Anderson is hitting .283/.321/.326 with just one extra base hit - a double. All this comes along with limited range in the outfield.
    In 66 May at-bats, Francoeur is hitting .197/.214/.273.
    For his career, Francoeur has averaged 630 ABs per season. Over his last 631 ABs, dating back to May 6, 2009, Francoeur is hitting .235/.287/.341 with 11 HR. Over that time, among players with 500 ABs, only Michael Bourn, Chone Figgins, Bobby Crosby, Willy Taveras, and Jason Kendall have lower slugging percentages, and only Chris Young of Arizona has a lower OBP. Ouch.
    Rookie Jordan Schafer's .660 OPS is the highest of any of the three Braves outfielders mentioned thus far.
    So what's Frank Wren to do? He's clearly in need of immediate upgrades in the outfield, and Atlanta would seem to have the pitching to spare. Let's hear some suggestions from the MLBTR world: How can Wren save this situation?

OK, I see that a few of you have already picked up on the comedy that this post created at MLBTR.. I didnt see that this was already posted inside another thread.. You may delete this if necessary..

Comment

Rookie Jordan Schafer's .660 OPS is the highest of any of the three Braves outfielders mentioned thus far.

wow! i thought that was really interesting!

Comment

Sigh, at least give the kid a chance to rebound. He is a home town hero to everyone in my county and always will be, besides what will I do with my Francoeur autographs and jerseys? I'd rather have him than Carlos Lee or Jermaine Dye, call me crazy but thats the truth...
        Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
          Sigh, at least give the kid a chance to rebound. He is a home town hero to everyone in my county and always will be, besides what will I do with my Francoeur autographs and jerseys? I'd rather have him than Carlos Lee or Jermaine Dye, call me crazy but thats the truth...
          I don't know, man. He has to be nearing the end of his rope. His home run off of Kevin Gregg was the last time I ever remmeber him making solid contact on something that didn't go to the vicinity of a fielder to create an out.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

if he gets hot at all i think the braves trade him asap. or if it gets to august and schafer is batting over .300 at AAA then I think they demote him or trade him and bring up schafer.

I would rather have carlos lee (yea, his contract stinks), but not dye. Dye's defense isn't all that great either. Plus, he's getting old.

Comment

The problem is the Braves have given him nearly a year and a half to show something worth keeping and he hasn't done anything to reward them, in fact he demanded more money then he is worth in arbitration and even the biggest Francoeur fans can't justify him wanting nearly $4 Million ($3.95 Million was his offer) after last year.

The biggest problem is everything is trending the wrong way, HRs have been going down since 2006 though he is around pace to hit 1 more then last year, to make matters worse he is on pace to hit around 15 2B in a little over 600 PAs, the only brightspot is his strikeouts look to be down with his K rate at 14.8% which is 2 points lower then his best year but the horrible news is his walk rate is actually lower then 2005 and 2006 with a pace of 21 total BBs over the entire season. (again over 600 PAs) He is just a blackhole in the lineup and no matter how much he is a hometown guy he has also become perhaps the worst starting outfielder in the Majors. (and using perhaps is generous compared to what a lot of baseball writers say)

The Braves can't sink $3.3 Million (perhaps more next year) into a guy that is showing no signs of rebounding and in all honesty perhaps the best thing that can happen for Francoeur is to move on and get a new start somewhere else.

Edit ::

1. McLouth
              2. Escobar
              3. Chipper
              4. McCann
              5. Anderson
              6. Francoeur
              7. Prado, 1B
              8. Johnson
              9. Kawakami

That is the lineup tonight and honestly is their a weaker link (other then the pitcher) then Francoeur?
              Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM.
              Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post

Edit ::

1. McLouth
                2. Escobar
                3. Chipper
                4. McCann
                5. Anderson
                6. Francoeur
                7. Prado, 1B
                8. Johnson
                9. Kawakami

That is the lineup tonight and honestly is their a weaker link (other then the pitcher) then Francoeur?
                i love mclouth leading off. I think it makes esco-chipper-mccann that much more dangerous (and even GA). Also, I love johnson batting eight, causing at the first least he should draw some walks and clear the pitcher. Finally, PBF, as of now I would take KK over francoeur at the plate. Diaz needs some starts in RF or send down blanco and call up b.jones.

Comment

I don't know that you could get a used bag of balls for Francouer. Why would anyone want an arbitration eligible guy whose production has fallen off the table and wants big bucks??
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                    I don't know that you could get a used bag of balls for Francouer. Why would anyone want an arbitration eligible guy whose production has fallen off the table and wants big bucks??
                    For me it isn't about what the Braves can get for him but just getting him either off the team or at least out of the lineup.
                    Extend Prado!!!

Comment

For me it isn't about what the Braves can get for him but just getting him either off the team or at least out of the lineup.
                      amen! i was surprised to not see diaz start against the lefty yesterday in RF that is.

Comment

Francoeur is out of the today which is odd considering they are facing a righty but hey I am not complaining.

1. McLouth
                        2. Escobar
                        3. Chipper
                        4. McCann
                        5. Anderson
                        6. Norton, 1B
                        7. Diaz, RF
                        8. Johnson
                        9. Lowe
                        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Francoeur is out of the today which is odd considering they are facing a righty but hey I am not complaining.

1. McLouth
                          2. Escobar
                          3. Chipper
                          4. McCann
                          5. Anderson
                          6. Norton, 1B
                          7. Diaz, RF
                          8. Johnson
                          9. Lowe
                          i love our top 4 hitters and KJ at the bottom to get on base, followed by a pitcher sac bunt and then nate drives him in.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X