Chipper down again argh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipper down again argh

Argh poor weather hurts Chipper. Got to hate mothernature well at least Wilson Betemit is a good replacement until Chipper comes back (hopefully sooner rather then later :noidea) but Marcus straining his quad hurts since he was getting on base a lot.
    Extend Prado!!!

From KFFL:

Updating an ongoing story, David O'Brien, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Braves 3B Chipper Jones (ankle, knee) not only sprained his right ankle Sunday, April 9, but also twisted his knee. Jones will be re-evaluated Monday, April 10, and will likely miss at least a couple of games. No MRI exams have been scheduled.
    Cristobal

Comment

Re: Chipper to DL

Today on AJC.com:

The Braves announced before tonight's game that the third baseman will go on the 15-day DL after suffering a sprained right knee and sprained right ankle Sunday against the Giants.

An MRI today showed no further damage.

"Tremendous relief," Jones said before the Braves' home opener against the Phillies. "When you see the pictures and they show you that your ligaments are intact, it sets your mind at ease."
      Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules -- and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

Comment

I say trade him he is always on the D.L he is just putting dead weight on this team
        GO BONDS GO BONDS

Comment

Trade Him???
          How many great players like Chipper Jones do you know, that will take a paycut for his team.
          Chipper has just had bad luck. Trade him... I think not.
          Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Monzonater
            I say trade him he is always on the D.L he is just putting dead weight on this team
            Yes, absolutely!!! Any player who has the audacity to have a couple of freak injuries within the past couple of years is an abomination to the organization!!! But seriously,
            Originally posted by Cliff Huxtable
            That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life!

Comment

Originally posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
              Trade Him???
              How many great players like Chipper Jones do you know, that will take a paycut for his team.
              Chipper has just had bad luck. Trade him... I think not.

ok i could see if he was putting up numbers like barry bonds (the best player)
              but he is not , i say start making the team around andrew and go get another star player for chipper becuase he is wearin down and he will be done sooner or later with another injury
              GO BONDS GO BONDS

Comment

The Braves have to much respect for Chipper to trade him. They'll let him leave on his own terms, and he's only 34. He could easily have a 40 home run season this year and put the injury bug behind him. He missed over 40 games last year due to injury and still drove in almost 80.

Comment

Even if the Braves wanted to trade Chipper, no one would take him anyway. Most teams would consider him too much of an injury risk for the money he makes.

That said I still believe that Chipper is a great player. Short of his abilities falling off the chart like with Dale Murphy (also a great player), Chipper should have a few more years of solid performance. Plus, he is a great influence on the younger guys and in the clubhouse. You couldn't ask for someone to fit the definition of 'franchise player' (ok, maybe John Smoltz ).

If nothing else the team might need to end up moving Chipper to 1st base if playing third base gets to be a strain on him. The 'hot corner' can be a pretty tough strain.

But the bottom line is in any player you can't tell how long they have left. Plenty of top players have broken down completely by the time the are 34, others have lasted into their 40's.

Comment

The braves are in a catch 22. If the braves move Chipper to 1st. Where do they put Salty, Thorman,LaRoche, and Jurries. If they leave him at 3rd, what do they do with Eric Campbell.

TOO MUCH TALENT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Monzonater
                      ok i could see if he was putting up numbers like barry bonds (the best player)
                      but he is not , i say start making the team around andrew and go get another star player for chipper becuase he is wearin down and he will be done sooner or later with another injury
                      Like Bonds isn't breaking down. Last time I checked he had two bad knees (Which is generous description of them) and bone chips in his shoulder. Barry hasn't done anything of note as of right now other then strike out to Ken Ray. He doesn't look like the same Barry Bonds (IMHO its because of a something that comes in cream or clear form). I think he will pass Ruth but everyday I see him play its seems less likely that he will be passing Mr. Henry Louis Aaron (IMO the best player ever to play the game).
                      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Bonds was hitting some balls that looked long gone a few days ago. However they only went to the edge of the warning track. The guy can still hit and is still a heck of a player, but I think that pitchers can be alottttt less scared of him now.

Since the year 2000 he has lead the MLB in BB total over that span. Including the '05 season when he only played about 10 games. So pitchers can now get some guts hopefully and pitch to him.

Comment

THE WORST QUESTION!!!
                          ..but I'll pose it.

I'm not saying I'd do this, but when Chipper is ready to get back in the lineup, and if Betemit is hitting well into the .300's with some pop and is sound defensively, would you dare platoon Chipper and Betemit???

Chipper would play against leftys because he would get more ab's and is a better hitter left handed. Betemit would then play against leftys.

This would give Chipper rest and bring Betemit's bat into the lineup.

I doubt Cox would do it for long. Maybe the first few games as Chipper is coming back.

Myself I wouldn't do it long if I did it at all. Chipper is a far supereior and more experienced hitter than Betemit. Chipper is all-around better.

Just this sort of gives Betemit the raw end of the deal, I mean he is really producing.

But if a veteran pitcher is on the mound and if it came between Chipper or Betemit to face him, I'd go with Chipper of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
                            THE WORST QUESTION!!!
                            ..but I'll pose it.

I'm not saying I'd do this, but when Chipper is ready to get back in the lineup, and if Betemit is hitting well into the .300's with some pop and is sound defensively, would you dare platoon Chipper and Betemit???

Chipper would play against leftys because he would get more ab's and is a better hitter left handed. Betemit would then play against leftys.

This would give Chipper rest and bring Betemit's bat into the lineup.

I doubt Cox would do it for long. Maybe the first few games as Chipper is coming back.

Myself I wouldn't do it long if I did it at all. Chipper is a far supereior and more experienced hitter than Betemit. Chipper is all-around better.

Just this sort of gives Betemit the raw end of the deal, I mean he is really producing.

But if a veteran pitcher is on the mound and if it came between Chipper or Betemit to face him, I'd go with Chipper of course.
                            I doubt Bobby would go for a platoon for even the first couple days when Chipper comes back. The other way I'd see that would be if he thought Chipper needed to be eased back into a fulltime role (like if Chipper was still has pain in his ankle or knee).

Chipper still hits and walks far too well for him not to be the starter. Betemit will have to move back to being a backup and I'm sure Bobby would try to get him as many ABs as possible.

I can see you point about it though, but I just don't see it happening. Maybe if Chipper was on the 60 day DL and Betemit produced like this the entire time.... but even then it would probably still go back to Chipper. He's just too much of a franchise guy.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X