X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francoeur gets traded to the Mets for Ryan Church

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4320078

Heartbreak.
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    Yeah, maybe for you, but it's about stinking time.

I hope Jeff does well in New York, but... well, I don't think that's likely.

Ryan Church will take some walks, but his slugging seems to have regressed since 2006. Thankfully, this year has a lot to do with Citi Field. We should see him do well in Atlanta.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

The only downfall with Church is that ever since he received those painful headaches (last year) he just hasn't been the same. His hitting suffered, and he's prone to go on the dl alot.
      Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

This trade is funny to me more than anything. Out of all teams, the Mets?
        2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
          The only downfall with Church is that ever since he received those painful headaches (last year) he just hasn't been the same. His hitting suffered, and he's prone to go on the dl alot.
          I do notice that Citi Field has killed his batting this year:

111 PA, .216/.297/.278, 3 2B, 1 HR, 10 RBI

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post

This trade is funny to me more than anything. Out of all teams, the Mets?
            Exactly! This is strange. For Jeff's sake, I hope he turns it around in NY. Isn't Church the 4th outfielder on the Mets? I wonder if Wren just wanted to get Jeff out of town and accepted the best offer. It still seems odd to me.
            My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
              Exactly! This is strange. For Jeff's sake, I hope he turns it around in NY. Isn't Church the 4th outfielder on the Mets? I wonder if Wren just wanted to get Jeff out of town and accepted the best offer. It still seems odd to me.
              He's not necessarily the fourth outfielder. He turned into a high-quality one because of the players the Mets have (when healthy). He'll do more than replace Francoeur and it'll be good for him to get out of Citi Field. Just don't expect too much of an increase in slugging. He will walk more, though. Lots more.

Comment

This could also be a sign that perhaps Jason Heyward has a real shot at being the starting RFer next year, even with Church for another year or two (don't remember exactly) I have a feeling he is likely destined for LF and if he struggles against lefties than a platoon with Matty D. isn't out of the question.
                Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 07-10-2009, 07:48 PM.
                Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                  He's not necessarily the fourth outfielder. He turned into a high-quality one because of the players the Mets have (when healthy). He'll do more than replace Francoeur and it'll be good for him to get out of Citi Field. Just don't expect too much of an increase in slugging. He will walk more, though. Lots more.
                  Its better to walk than strikeout.

PBF, good point about Heyward. Interesting....
                  My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

This kind of saddens me. I really had hoped that Francoeur could have bounced back. Now I just hope this deal works out for the Braves.
                    Check out my new baseball blog Everything Baseball

Comment

I cried when he was interviewed before the game on moving to New York. Something is missing for me in this game tonight and something is missing in a place in my heart. I will forget about the whole thing for a little bit then I remember it again and I choke up. This will take some time getting used too, and I will probably never accept Church unless he starts hitting .400. Poor Jeff, I met the guy for god sakes, hands down the nicest professional athlete I have ever talked too. Please succeed in New York despite my hatred for them.
                      Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
                        I cried when he was interviewed before the game on moving to New York. Something is missing for me in this game tonight and something is missing in a place in my heart. I will forget about the whole thing for a little bit then I remember it again and I choke up. This will take some time getting used too, and I will probably never accept Church unless he starts hitting .400. Poor Jeff, I met the guy for god sakes, hands down the nicest professional athlete I have ever talked too. Please succeed in New York despite my hatred for them.
                        Time to change the name buddy.

Seriously though, Francoeur didn't get the job done the past two years. I really thought the team had something special when he was called up in 2005, but he didn't take the steps to become a productive major leaguer. The Braves felt it was time to move on and I agree with the move. Pro sports is a business and if you don't produce or take steps necessary to improve a team will get rid of you.
                        2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

i honestly cannot believe we got as much as we did. not that church is a superstar, but his slugging, avg, and walks are all higher. Plus, there's no way that he could do worse than francoeur.

edit: another great move by mr. wren, i think.
                          Last edited by chip&smoltz95; 07-10-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
                            i honestly cannot believe we got as much as we did. not that church is a superstar, but his slugging, avg, and walks are all higher. Plus, there's no way that he could do worse than francoeur.

edit: another great move by mr. wren, i think.
                            I already mentioned this but I don't think an OF that looks something like this is out of the question.

LF :: Church/Diaz
                            CF :: McLouth
                            RF :: Heyward

They might not start the year like that but I am really starting to believe that will be the OF sometime next year. (I know that isn't going out on a huge limb though )
                            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                              I already mentioned this but I don't think an OF that looks something like this is out of the question.

LF :: Church/Diaz
                              CF :: McLouth
                              RF :: Heyward

They might not start the year like that but I am really starting to believe that will be the OF sometime next year. (I know that isn't going out on a huge limb though )
                              so the braves wouldn't make any FA signing to the OF then? Gonzo, soriano, vasquez's contract would all be coming off the books. I would guess the braves would need to sign a closer, but I would think the SP and pen would be in order. Then C, 1B, SS, 3B are in order. I assume that prado or infante (FA after this season I believe?) would be at 2B.

However, I think that OF can compete. Maybe schafer would be ready by 2011 or mid-season also.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X