Francoeur gets traded to the Mets for Ryan Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    so the braves wouldn't make any FA signing to the OF then? Gonzo, soriano, vasquez's contract would all be coming off the books. I would guess the braves would need to sign a closer, but I would think the SP and pen would be in order. Then C, 1B, SS, 3B are in order. I assume that prado or infante (FA after this season I believe?) would be at 2B.

However, I think that OF can compete. Maybe schafer would be ready by 2011 or mid-season also.
    Vazquez isn't coming off the books unless the Braves trade him. Also Omar Infante is signed till 2010 and has an option for 2011.

I think the Braves will go after an Outfielder but won't feel forced to have to sign someone like they did with Lowe. If they can get someone then I am sure they would be happy but I don't think they will be cursing the world if they don't sign a big time OF.
    Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
      Vazquez isn't coming off the books unless the Braves trade him. Also Omar Infante is signed till 2010 and has an option for 2011.

I think the Braves will go after an Outfielder but won't feel forced to have to sign someone like they did with Lowe. If they can get someone then I am sure they would be happy but I don't think they will be cursing the world if they don't sign a big time OF.

well, i was assuming that vasquez would be traded or huddy's option would not get picked up.. but yea, the braves have a little flexibility with a good portion of their players being pretty cheap: prado, escobar, kotchman, mclouth, mccann, hanson, JJ, medlen, etc

Comment

As an outsider, I can understand the Braves fan's disappointment, because there is an emotional attachment. But, the bottom line is that Francoeur just isn't cutting it and I doubt he ever will.

Even in his best season--2006--when he hit 29 homers and had 103 ribbies, his OBP was a paltry .294. His last two seasons his OBP was .294 and this year, .282. His career OBP is .308. This isn't just below average, it is very, very bad.

I know you guys had hopes for him, but feel lucky that you at least got somebody serviceable for him in Church, who has a respectable career OBP of .345. Citi Field, no doubt has had an effect on him, as it will 90% of the players who play there. Francoeur probably would have been released outright sooner or later, and you would have got nothing for him, so once again the Braves prove to have one of the better front offices in the game.

Put it this way: This trade was the Braves front office, one of the best at evaluating talent, vs. The Mets FO, which is an absolute joke. This alone should tell you who got the best of the deal.

As a Yankees fan, I'm rooting for you guys. 90% of Mets fans are annoying gnats, who have an inferiority complex and worry more about what the Yankees are doing than their own team. Now go out and kick the Mets and Phillies butts.
        Last edited by Rob R; 07-11-2009, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob R View Post
          As an outsider, I can understand the Braves fan's disappointment, because there is an emotional attachment. But, the bottom line is that Francoeur just isn't cutting it and I doubt he ever will.

Even in his best season--2006--when he hit 29 homers and had 103 ribbies, his OBP was a paltry .294. His last two seasons his OBP was .294 and this year, .282. His career OBP is .308. This isn't just below average, it is very, very bad.

I know you guys had hopes for him, but feel lucky that you at least got somebody serviceable for him in Church, who has a respectable career OBP of .345. Citi Field, no doubt has had an effect on him, as it will 90% of the players who play there. Francoeur probably would have been released outright sooner or later, and you would have got nothing for him, so once again the Braves prove to have one of the better front offices in the game.

Put it this way: This trade was the Braves front office, one of the best at evaluating talent, vs. The Mets FO, which is an absolute joke. This alone should tell you who got the best of the deal.

As a Yankees fan, I'm rooting for you guys. 90% of Mets fans are annoying gnats, who have an inferiority complex and worry more about what the Yankees are doing than their own team. Now go out and kick the Mets and Phillies butts.
          It's all very true, thanks for the kind words.

I mostly gave up on Francoeur last year after he started to stink up the joint after I thought he was making progress in 2007. Now, I'm convinced that he doesn't have the baseball intelligence to succeed in the big leagues; at least for right now. Francoeur is a very hard worker; however, he can't translate his hard work into results on the field.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

I thank you for the kind words but most of us didn't have much attachment to Francoeur. (Francoeurstein did of course)

I would say good luck to you guys but that would get me disowned from my family as my father, brother and sister-in-law all are Red Sox fans. So the best I can say is I hope you guys do well but not enough to beat the Sox.
            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
              I thank you for the kind words but most of us didn't have much attachment to Francoeur. (Francoeurstein did of course)

I would say good luck to you guys but that would get me disowned from my family as my father, brother and sister-in-law all are Red Sox fans. So the best I can say is I hope you guys do well but not enough to beat the Sox.
              You're welcome and thanks as well. And I can understand your trepidation - those Sox fans can be a nasty group!

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                It's all very true, thanks for the kind words.

I mostly gave up on Francoeur last year after he started to stink up the joint after I thought he was making progress in 2007. Now, I'm convinced that he doesn't have the baseball intelligence to succeed in the big leagues; at least for right now. Francoeur is a very hard worker; however, he can't translate his hard work into results on the field.
                You're welcome, and it's well-deserved. I've always admired the Braves' FO and your team's resiliency. Even when things seem bleak, and you lose a couple of key players, you look up and see the Braves in contention or at least competitive.

I also think that the Braves were fairly patient with Francoeur, waiting for him to break out, but at this point, they probably just don't see it happening.
                Last edited by Rob R; 07-11-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I also think that the Braves were fairly patient with Francoeur, waiting for him to break out, but at this point, they probably just don't see it happening.
                  It was a real point of contention how patient they were with Francoeur. We think he should have been dumped after last season.

Comment

Wow, I thought the tears would go away by now.
                    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
                      Wow, I thought the tears would go away by now.
                      Boy, you're really affected by this. It's not like he's dead. You can still follow him with the Mets. He's still the same guy. He just won't be a Brave.

Comment

Sweet fancy Moses, Ryan Church actually got an RBI today. And don't pay any attention to Rob R, he's just jealous our crappy new ballpark is much better than his.

Frenchy looked good at the plate today.

Comment

Rubbing it in our faces. Cute.

This is just the honeymoon too. Give Francoeur a month and see how you like him then.

The Braves certainly weren't getting anywhere with Francoeur and they can get nowhere without him.

Comment

This is just the honeymoon too. Give Francoeur a month and see how you like him then.

The Braves certainly weren't getting anywhere with Francoeur and they can get nowhere without him.
                            No, it's just I cannot believe all of this love Ryan Church has been getting. Yesterday's ball game is more like what you'll be seeing from him. Leaving LOTS of runners on base.

As for Francoeur, I already know he sucks so I'm not expecting anything when he steps to the plate. Church does just enough where you think he will come through in a big spot, but the more you see him the more you realize he never gets that big hit.

Oh and he looked his usual wobbly self in the OF yesterday. Didn't see today's game but I'm sure he must have tripped over himself at some point in the game.

Comment

It looks like the series against the Mets after the break will be the biggest of the year since the trade.
                              My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by majorleads View Post
                                Sweet fancy Moses, Ryan Church actually got an RBI today. And don't pay any attention to Rob R, he's just jealous our crappy new ballpark is much better than his.

Frenchy looked good at the plate today.
                                Hmmm, Citi better than NYS? Not quite, but we're going off topic (sorry Braves fans).

That very Citi Field, with it's ridiculous contrived dimensions, and miles of foul territory, was to Church's detriment, as it will be to a majority of players who will play there. Think Francoeur can't dive any further? Wait till you see the final results of his playing at Citi.

Listen, the bottom line is that Francoeur once had the better upside than Church, but history, and a large enough sample size has proven this wrong. While Francoeur possesses more power (which will be negated by Citi), Church has a far better OBP and is a much better situational hitter. And come on, if you think that Minaya and Wilpon can outsmart the far superior Braves front office, I have a bridge to sell you.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X