X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob R
    replied
    Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    It's all very true, thanks for the kind words.

I mostly gave up on Francoeur last year after he started to stink up the joint after I thought he was making progress in 2007. Now, I'm convinced that he doesn't have the baseball intelligence to succeed in the big leagues; at least for right now. Francoeur is a very hard worker; however, he can't translate his hard work into results on the field.
    You're welcome, and it's well-deserved. I've always admired the Braves' FO and your team's resiliency. Even when things seem bleak, and you lose a couple of key players, you look up and see the Braves in contention or at least competitive.

I also think that the Braves were fairly patient with Francoeur, waiting for him to break out, but at this point, they probably just don't see it happening.
    Last edited by Rob R; 07-11-2009, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rob R
    replied
    Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    I thank you for the kind words but most of us didn't have much attachment to Francoeur. (Francoeurstein did of course)

I would say good luck to you guys but that would get me disowned from my family as my father, brother and sister-in-law all are Red Sox fans. So the best I can say is I hope you guys do well but not enough to beat the Sox.
    You're welcome and thanks as well. And I can understand your trepidation - those Sox fans can be a nasty group!

Leave a comment:

• PureBaseballFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob R View Post
    As an outsider, I can understand the Braves fan's disappointment, because there is an emotional attachment. But, the bottom line is that Francoeur just isn't cutting it and I doubt he ever will.

Even in his best season--2006--when he hit 29 homers and had 103 ribbies, his OBP was a paltry .294. His last two seasons his OBP was .294 and this year, .282. His career OBP is .308. This isn't just below average, it is very, very bad.

I know you guys had hopes for him, but feel lucky that you at least got somebody serviceable for him in Church, who has a respectable career OBP of .345. Citi Field, no doubt has had an effect on him, as it will 90% of the players who play there. Francoeur probably would have been released outright sooner or later, and you would have got nothing for him, so once again the Braves prove to have one of the better front offices in the game.

Put it this way: This trade was the Braves front office, one of the best at evaluating talent, vs. The Mets FO, which is an absolute joke. This alone should tell you who got the best of the deal.

As a Yankees fan, I'm rooting for you guys. 90% of Mets fans are annoying gnats, who have an inferiority complex and worry more about what the Yankees are doing than their own team. Now go out and kick the Mets and Phillies butts.
    I thank you for the kind words but most of us didn't have much attachment to Francoeur. (Francoeurstein did of course)

I would say good luck to you guys but that would get me disowned from my family as my father, brother and sister-in-law all are Red Sox fans. So the best I can say is I hope you guys do well but not enough to beat the Sox.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob R View Post
    As an outsider, I can understand the Braves fan's disappointment, because there is an emotional attachment. But, the bottom line is that Francoeur just isn't cutting it and I doubt he ever will.

Even in his best season--2006--when he hit 29 homers and had 103 ribbies, his OBP was a paltry .294. His last two seasons his OBP was .294 and this year, .282. His career OBP is .308. This isn't just below average, it is very, very bad.

I know you guys had hopes for him, but feel lucky that you at least got somebody serviceable for him in Church, who has a respectable career OBP of .345. Citi Field, no doubt has had an effect on him, as it will 90% of the players who play there. Francoeur probably would have been released outright sooner or later, and you would have got nothing for him, so once again the Braves prove to have one of the better front offices in the game.

Put it this way: This trade was the Braves front office, one of the best at evaluating talent, vs. The Mets FO, which is an absolute joke. This alone should tell you who got the best of the deal.

As a Yankees fan, I'm rooting for you guys. 90% of Mets fans are annoying gnats, who have an inferiority complex and worry more about what the Yankees are doing than their own team. Now go out and kick the Mets and Phillies butts.
    It's all very true, thanks for the kind words.

I mostly gave up on Francoeur last year after he started to stink up the joint after I thought he was making progress in 2007. Now, I'm convinced that he doesn't have the baseball intelligence to succeed in the big leagues; at least for right now. Francoeur is a very hard worker; however, he can't translate his hard work into results on the field.

Leave a comment:

• Rob R
    replied

Last edited by Rob R; 07-11-2009, 01:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    Vazquez isn't coming off the books unless the Braves trade him. Also Omar Infante is signed till 2010 and has an option for 2011.

I think the Braves will go after an Outfielder but won't feel forced to have to sign someone like they did with Lowe. If they can get someone then I am sure they would be happy but I don't think they will be cursing the world if they don't sign a big time OF.

well, i was assuming that vasquez would be traded or huddy's option would not get picked up.. but yea, the braves have a little flexibility with a good portion of their players being pretty cheap: prado, escobar, kotchman, mclouth, mccann, hanson, JJ, medlen, etc

Leave a comment:

• PureBaseballFan
    replied
    Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    so the braves wouldn't make any FA signing to the OF then? Gonzo, soriano, vasquez's contract would all be coming off the books. I would guess the braves would need to sign a closer, but I would think the SP and pen would be in order. Then C, 1B, SS, 3B are in order. I assume that prado or infante (FA after this season I believe?) would be at 2B.

However, I think that OF can compete. Maybe schafer would be ready by 2011 or mid-season also.
    Vazquez isn't coming off the books unless the Braves trade him. Also Omar Infante is signed till 2010 and has an option for 2011.

I think the Braves will go after an Outfielder but won't feel forced to have to sign someone like they did with Lowe. If they can get someone then I am sure they would be happy but I don't think they will be cursing the world if they don't sign a big time OF.

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    I already mentioned this but I don't think an OF that looks something like this is out of the question.

LF :: Church/Diaz
    CF :: McLouth
    RF :: Heyward

They might not start the year like that but I am really starting to believe that will be the OF sometime next year. (I know that isn't going out on a huge limb though )
    so the braves wouldn't make any FA signing to the OF then? Gonzo, soriano, vasquez's contract would all be coming off the books. I would guess the braves would need to sign a closer, but I would think the SP and pen would be in order. Then C, 1B, SS, 3B are in order. I assume that prado or infante (FA after this season I believe?) would be at 2B.

However, I think that OF can compete. Maybe schafer would be ready by 2011 or mid-season also.

Leave a comment:

• PureBaseballFan
    replied
    Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    i honestly cannot believe we got as much as we did. not that church is a superstar, but his slugging, avg, and walks are all higher. Plus, there's no way that he could do worse than francoeur.

edit: another great move by mr. wren, i think.
    I already mentioned this but I don't think an OF that looks something like this is out of the question.

LF :: Church/Diaz
    CF :: McLouth
    RF :: Heyward

They might not start the year like that but I am really starting to believe that will be the OF sometime next year. (I know that isn't going out on a huge limb though )

Leave a comment:

• chip&smoltz95
    replied
    i honestly cannot believe we got as much as we did. not that church is a superstar, but his slugging, avg, and walks are all higher. Plus, there's no way that he could do worse than francoeur.

edit: another great move by mr. wren, i think.
    Last edited by chip&smoltz95; 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Atlanta Braves Freak
    replied
    Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    I cried when he was interviewed before the game on moving to New York. Something is missing for me in this game tonight and something is missing in a place in my heart. I will forget about the whole thing for a little bit then I remember it again and I choke up. This will take some time getting used too, and I will probably never accept Church unless he starts hitting .400. Poor Jeff, I met the guy for god sakes, hands down the nicest professional athlete I have ever talked too. Please succeed in New York despite my hatred for them.
    Time to change the name buddy.

Seriously though, Francoeur didn't get the job done the past two years. I really thought the team had something special when he was called up in 2005, but he didn't take the steps to become a productive major leaguer. The Braves felt it was time to move on and I agree with the move. Pro sports is a business and if you don't produce or take steps necessary to improve a team will get rid of you.

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    I cried when he was interviewed before the game on moving to New York. Something is missing for me in this game tonight and something is missing in a place in my heart. I will forget about the whole thing for a little bit then I remember it again and I choke up. This will take some time getting used too, and I will probably never accept Church unless he starts hitting .400. Poor Jeff, I met the guy for god sakes, hands down the nicest professional athlete I have ever talked too. Please succeed in New York despite my hatred for them.

Leave a comment:

• everythingbaseball
    replied
    This kind of saddens me. I really had hoped that Francoeur could have bounced back. Now I just hope this deal works out for the Braves.

Leave a comment:

• Extra Innings
    replied
    Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    He's not necessarily the fourth outfielder. He turned into a high-quality one because of the players the Mets have (when healthy). He'll do more than replace Francoeur and it'll be good for him to get out of Citi Field. Just don't expect too much of an increase in slugging. He will walk more, though. Lots more.
    Its better to walk than strikeout.

PBF, good point about Heyward. Interesting....

Leave a comment:

• PureBaseballFan
    replied
    This could also be a sign that perhaps Jason Heyward has a real shot at being the starting RFer next year, even with Church for another year or two (don't remember exactly) I have a feeling he is likely destined for LF and if he struggles against lefties than a platoon with Matty D. isn't out of the question.
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 07-10-2009, 06:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X