Jason Heyward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Heyward

Will he make the Braves roster in 2010? With Heyward's bat and the current pitching staff intact including the bullpen, maybe Bobby can make another run at the World Series.

Originally posted by Richard View Post
    Will he make the Braves roster in 2010? With Heyward's bat and the current pitching staff intact including the bullpen, maybe Bobby can make another run at the World Series.
    He will eventually be on the major league roster, if he makes the opening day roster will likely heavily depend on the possible moves of the Braves this offseason. If they stand pat (perhaps Non-Tendering Church) then he might have a good shot at making the opening day roster but if they sign someone such as Dye, Holliday or Bay then I would bet the Braves would be less inclined to promote him with such little time spent in Triple-A.
    Extend Prado!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=but if they sign someone such as Dye, Holliday or Bay then I would bet the Braves would be less inclined to promote him with such little time spent in Triple-A.[/QUOTE]

you really think they would have a shot at signing Holliday or Bay? those guys are going to be bringing in some big bucks.
      trusted traders: Rockhound,xholdourownx,Drillbit,Tebow15

Comment

Originally posted by Rpollard86 View Post
        you really think they would have a shot at signing Holliday or Bay? those guys are going to be bringing in some big bucks.
        Bay would be the more likely as he seems to be wanting years more then say the $20 that Holliday (compared to around $15 to 16) wants but it is all a moot point as it appears they aren't looking at either. Any possible signing like that would have a lot more to do with trading Lowe then anything else.
        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Will he make the Braves roster in 2010?
          Yes.

With Heyward's bat and the current pitching staff intact including the bullpen, maybe Bobby can make another run at the World Series.
          It'll take more than that.

Comment

Will he make the Braves roster in 2010?
            Yes, and there's a very strong chance that he'll make the team right out of spring training and be the starting right fielder.

With Heyward's bat and the current pitching staff intact including the bullpen, maybe Bobby can make another run at the World Series.
            I seriously doubt that. A lot of things have to go right for the Braves and go wrong for the Phillies, Mets and Marlins in order for them to have that kind of a run. Still, I believe that the foundation has been set for the Braves to be very competitive.
            46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
              I seriously doubt that. A lot of things have to go right for the Braves and go wrong for the Phillies, Mets and Marlins in order for them to have that kind of a run. Still, I believe that the foundation has been set for the Braves to be very competitive.
              I was going to write some long response (was actually half way done) and then decided to do it in short form for the good of other posters (well short for me).

Problems for NL Contenders

Mets - Any pitcher in the rotation not named Santana, the three below average amigos of Santos, Francouer and Murphy and injuries.

Phillies - Any pitcher in the rotation not named Halladay because everyone is either coming off a subpar season (Hamels), aren't really good but aren't really bad (Blanton and Moyer) and a rookie that I think will be a little bit exposed (Happ). The Roller Coaster ride of Brad Lidge is something to worry about.

Marlins - Pitchers behind Johnson and Nolasco with either injuries or that they haven't proven anything. Offense could, just like the Braves, hinge on production from young players (Maybin and either Sanchez or Morrison). Bullpen could be a boom or bust kind of pen, a lot of young talent that could fall flat or be lights out.

Cardinals - 1 Hall of fame bat, 1 really good bat, one okay bat and a bunch of average to below average offensive players, no one really bad but nothing really good either (Rasmus has the best potential). Pitchers behind Wainwright and Carpenter and a bullpen that isn't a lock down type.

Brewers - Two really good bats with a bunch of question marks either due to injuries or are just young. Their rotation is a good developing ace of a pitcher, a pitcher who hasn't posted an ERA under 4.00 for the past 6 years until his contract year in a Dodger Blue uniform and a bunch of average starters at best.

Cubs - A closer that has been on a steady decline since his career year in 2007. A middle of the field that would make most fans groan after 2009 (Soto, Fontenot, Theriot and Marlon "I not allowed to hit outside of Texas" Byrd. A rotation led by a man that makes Amy Winehouse look stable but actually have a solid overall rotation.

Dodgers - They need someone to take the number one spot of the rotation by the throat and what appears to be a lack of depth in their rotation. Overall perhaps could be the best team.

D-Backs - Offense should be improved but season could hinge on one of C. Jackson, Chris Young or Kelly Johnson having a comeback year. A rotation full of questions, can Webb comeback from an injury and could it turn into a recurring problem, can Edwin Jackson find his 1st half talent again (2.52 ERA) or will he continue downwards like his 2nd half (5.07 ERA), can Ian Kennedy show why Yankees' fans or front office thought so highly of him (I for one don't believe).

Giants - Do Huff, DeRosa and a full year of Sanchez make their offense that much better? Can Zito continue to at the very least be a below average pitcher? Can Sanchez start to realize his potential or will he only really thrive against offensive powerhouses like the Padres? Who is the 5th starter? If Bumgarner is the decrease in velocity perhaps a sign of an injury?

Rockies - The development of Fowler, Gonzalez, Iannetta and Stewart could make or break this offense. The rotation, like the lineup, hinge on the development of 2 young guys like Hammel and De La Rosa or if Franciscan comeback from injury.

Braves - Hanson will have to takeover Vazquez's spot and Jair will need to continue to defy sabermetrics though it isn't as bad as Happ, Kenshin will also have to continue his steady production. Glaus will need to stay healthy and Chipper will need to rebound. Prado will have to prove to some he wasn't just a flash in the pan (which I don't believe he is) and finally Heyward needs to show why he is the number one position prospect in baseball.

While the Braves have question marks I think pretty much every contender in the NL has major questions marks.
              Extend Prado!!!

Comment

how long is santana suppose to be out for? a month?

i like the braves, rockies, dbacks, mets (if healthy) and maybe the brewers to be in the hunt for the WC. Unless glaus and chipper have 30HR seasons i don't see the braves hanging with the phils or get 60HR out of the OF.

Comment

Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
                  how long is santana suppose to be out for? a month?

i like the braves, rockies, dbacks, mets (if healthy) and maybe the brewers to be in the hunt for the WC. Unless glaus and chipper have 30HR seasons i don't see the braves hanging with the phils or get 60HR out of the OF.
                  I think you mean Beltran, from all the reports it looks to be May but like all injuries people heal at different rates so he could be back by opening day or have a setback and miss another month you just never know.

I don't think it will take that, the Phils are a good team but I wouldn't say they are head and shoulders above the rest of the NL East. They should be considered the favorite and on paper are better but for me personally I have doubts they can run away with the division. Their team just doesn't seem built to run away with a division (the Red Sox and Yankees are the only teams that are really built to do that), Blanton is a guy who balances on a line between bad pitcher and good pitcher, the real Jaime Moyer is likely closer to 2009 Moyer and not the 2008 version and Happ was very lucky. There bullpen while having solid depth their closer is clearly a question going into this season, will the Phillies see the good Lidge or the 2009 one.

The team has made slight improvements (Polanco is an upgrade over Feliz and Hallady is an improvement over Lee) but they aren't major steps and I think the overall competition in the league is getting slightly better. I agree they should be the favorites (1 World Series and another showing the next year say so also) but I don't think the Braves need those types of HR numbers to compete and perhaps win the NL East.
                  Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                    I think you mean Beltran, from all the reports it looks to be May but like all injuries people heal at different rates so he could be back by opening day or have a setback and miss another month you just never know.
                    i knew about beltran but I haven't heard anything lately about santana. Didn't he have season ending surgery last year in like september? Does that just mean he should be ready for opening day?

I just think the phils offense is deeper and doesn't rely on just two or three guys (for the braves chipper, glaus and i guess mac/yunel). For the phils if rollins is struggling you got victarino (and now polanco). if one of utley, howard, or ibanez (werth too) is struggling you have guys to pick up the slack. While I don't like their back end of the rotation/pen as much as ours there is significantly more room for error I believe.

Comment

I just think the phils offense is deeper and doesn't rely on just two or three guys (for the braves chipper, glaus and i guess mac/yunel). For the phils if rollins is struggling you got victarino (and now polanco). if one of utley, howard, or ibanez (werth too) is struggling you have guys to pick up the slack. While I don't like their back end of the rotation/pen as much as ours there is significantly more room for error I believe.
                      That's the way I kinda see it too. Rollins was below par last year, but other guys picked up the slack. Werth and Ibanez have really complemented the others when needed. Their pitching doesn't need a Halladay every outing because usually their offense will score more runs.
                      My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

i knew about beltran but I haven't heard anything lately about santana. Didn't he have season ending surgery last year in like september? Does that just mean he should be ready for opening day?

I haven't heard anything bad about Santana which likely means he is on track for opening day.

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                        That's the way I kinda see it too. Rollins was below par last year, but other guys picked up the slack. Werth and Ibanez have really complemented the others when needed. Their pitching doesn't need a Halladay every outing because usually their offense will score more runs.
                        We just disagree, I will always take the deeper pitching staff over the amazing lineup. I just don't believe you need a 30 HR hitter to dominate a division and win the World Series (ask the 1998 Yankees) you just need a good overall lineup with no holes.

Right now the Braves have a roster with 4 players who have and can hit over 20 HRs in Glaus, Chipper, McCann and McLouth. 4 guys who have the potential to hit around 15 HRs in Yunel, Martin (more on the lower end of that), Diaz and Melky (combined). The question mark is Jason and if he can actually be productive that will give the team a complete lineup. The Braves aren't a murder's row but they little lineup by any means either, while they don't have to have Halladay to win every game, the Braves don't need to score 6 or more runs to win every game.
                        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Right now the Braves have a roster with 4 players who have and can hit over 20 HRs in Glaus, Chipper, McCann and McLouth. 4 guys who have the potential to hit around 15 HRs in Yunel, Martin (more on the lower end of that), Diaz and Melky (combined). The question mark is Jason and if he can actually be productive that will give the team a complete lineup. The Braves aren't a murder's row but they little lineup by any means either, while they don't have to have Halladay to win every game, the Braves don't need to score 6 or more runs to win every game.
                          agreed, but i think it's similar to what we thought last year. That loaf would be good and frenchy too. The only question mark was schafer in center. The infield looked promising with chipper's big year, mac, yunel, a third year of KJ and a question mark with kotchman (similar to glaus, but I think it's pretty clear he won't be worse than kotchman). We just don't have the firepower to lose a key guy or a slump like the phils can and in a 162 game season that could certainly be the difference between making and not making the playoffs.

Comment

agreed, but i think it's similar to what we thought last year. That loaf would be good and frenchy too. The only question mark was schafer in center. The infield looked promising with chipper's big year, mac, yunel, a third year of KJ and a question mark with kotchman (similar to glaus, but I think it's pretty clear he won't be worse than kotchman). We just don't have the firepower to lose a key guy or a slump like the phils can and in a 162 game season that could certainly be the difference between making and not making the playoffs.
                            That team was based a lot more on hope then actual reason to believe that they could actually get it done. Even if every OF reached the peak of their potential it wasn't great and both Anderson and Francoeur shouldn't have ever been expected to actually reach the numbers. The infield was also not a sure thing in my opinion but I am sure I was more in the minority, I have almost always had doubts about Kelly and Kotchman is a guy that brings value with the glove but not much else. I was like everyone else I hoped the Braves could compete but I had serious doubts about certain parts of the team. Offensively Glaus destroys Kotchman, McLouth is better then Schafer, Diaz/Cabrera destroy Anderson in every way, a consistent Prado is better then an up and down Kelly and a rookie Heyward is likely better then Francoeur.

The Braves aren't alone in that category and even the Phillies fall into that category, if they lose Halladay or Hamels for an extended amount of time they could really struggle to find even an average replacement and even if they avoid a major injury I can see their rotation preventing them from going on long win streaks. While both the 2009 Braves and 2010 Braves might be based on the same philosophy the 2010 Braves are in a much better position to actually execute it in my opinion.
                            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

That team was based a lot more on hope then actual reason to believe that they could actually get it done. Even if every OF reached the peak of their potential it wasn't great and both Anderson and Francoeur shouldn't have ever been expected to actually reach the numbers. The infield was also not a sure thing in my opinion but I am sure I was more in the minority, I have almost always had doubts about Kelly and Kotchman is a guy that brings value with the glove but not much else. I was like everyone else I hoped the Braves could compete but I had serious doubts about certain parts of the team. Offensively Glaus destroys Kotchman, McLouth is better then Schafer, Diaz/Cabrera destroy Anderson in every way, a consistent Prado is better then an up and down Kelly and a rookie Heyward is likely better then Francoeur.

The Braves aren't alone in that category and even the Phillies fall into that category, if they lose Halladay or Hamels for an extended amount of time they could really struggle to find even an average replacement and even if they avoid a major injury I can see their rotation preventing them from going on long win streaks. While both the 2009 Braves and 2010 Braves might be based on the same philosophy the 2010 Braves are in a much better position to actually execute it in my opinion.
                              I agree completely.

I'm actually pretty excited about this season, especially to see what Heyward will do.
                              My Blog
                              Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
                              http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X