Braves 2009/2010 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braves 2009/2010 Offseason Thread

Since the Braves are in the offseason why not start a thread for all discussions. I would love to see what you guys would try to do this offseason if you were Frank Wren, you don't have to write something long but I am interested in seeing who you guys would sign or attempt to trade for.
    Extend Prado!!!

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    Since the Braves are in the offseason why not start a thread for all discussions. I would love to see what you guys would try to do this offseason if you were Frank Wren, you don't have to write something long but I am interested in seeing who you guys would sign or attempt to trade for.
    thought I would move the debate over here, and you already know my opinion of some of the moves. cameron would be at the top of my list as well. rumors seem to be starting about trading lowe, I really wonder what the braves could get for him. He's still a big "name" pitcher with experience, but a bad year and 45mil still left on the deal. I could be content with an OF of even heyward(assuming he doesn't hit like schafer), diaz and mclouth from day 1. With a bench of church(get rid of if the braves sign or trade for a OF), infante, ross, and maybe diory? I don't see the need to pay KJ 3 or 4 mil to sit the bench. I also like the idea of offering gonzo arb but not soriano. With a pen of gonzo, moylan, eric and medlen, that's a good back end of the pen with the way the starters go. I think caryle might be gone and maybe logan too. Acosta might be on the mlb squad with a blaine boyer type scenario (if he cannot figure it out next year- then see ya)

OF I like:

cameron
    rios(already discussed)
    abreu

Comment

Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
      thought I would move the debate over here, and you already know my opinion of some of the moves. cameron would be at the top of my list as well. rumors seem to be starting about trading lowe, I really wonder what the braves could get for him. He's still a big "name" pitcher with experience, but a bad year and 45mil still left on the deal. I could be content with an OF of even heyward(assuming he doesn't hit like schafer), diaz and mclouth from day 1. With a bench of church(get rid of if the braves sign or trade for a OF), infante, ross, and maybe diory? I don't see the need to pay KJ 3 or 4 mil to sit the bench. I also like the idea of offering gonzo arb but not soriano. With a pen of gonzo, moylan, eric and medlen, that's a good back end of the pen with the way the starters go. I think caryle might be gone and maybe logan too. Acosta might be on the mlb squad with a blaine boyer type scenario (if he cannot figure it out next year- then see ya)

OF I like:

cameron
      rios(already discussed)
      abreu
      I would try to trade Lowe as getting rid of him would help the Braves either make a run at one of the bigger bats or as I have stated before sign a combo like LaRoche and Cameron. I doubt the Braves could get much in return but perhaps they could get a decent prospect if they ate 4 or 5 Million a year over 2 or perhaps the entire contract. (still would save $10 Million)

I like every player in your outfield but I would worry if the Braves could truly compete with an OF like that. The Phillies aren't going anywhere and if the Mets really do spend as much money as some people think they have then they could improve pretty quickly, which makes me worry about the only major move the Braves doing is resigning LaRoche. While the Braves offense clicked near the end it also wasn't dominating either and I think the Braves need to add another bat with power.

If I had to bet who is let go Church is on the top of the list (to expensive), Logan and a trade of Kelly perhaps in a minor deal (I have already seen people speak out against it but the Braves can only wait so long for a player to realize their potential).

I doubt Diory is on the opening day roster with players like Conrad and Barbaro viable options.
      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

I would try to trade Lowe as getting rid of him would help the Braves either make a run at one of the bigger bats or as I have stated before sign a combo like LaRoche and Cameron. I doubt the Braves could get much in return but perhaps they could get a decent prospect if they ate 4 or 5 Million a year over 2 or perhaps the entire contract. (still would save $10 Million)

I like every player in your outfield but I would worry if the Braves could truly compete with an OF like that. The Phillies aren't going anywhere and if the Mets really do spend as much money as some people think they have then they could improve pretty quickly, which makes me worry about the only major move the Braves doing is resigning LaRoche. While the Braves offense clicked near the end it also wasn't dominating either and I think the Braves need to add another bat with power.

If I had to bet who is let go Church is on the top of the list (to expensive), Logan and a trade of Kelly perhaps in a minor deal (I have already seen people speak out against it but the Braves can only wait so long for a player to realize their potential).

I doubt Diory is on the opening day roster with players like Conrad and Barbaro viable options.
        Yea laroche needs to be resigned. I am fine with church going and kelly too. I just don't know about paying a guy 7 or 8mil and then having a guy like diaz on the bench all the time, but I guess it's a good problem to have. I was just trying to be money tight. I guess the reason I said to assume heyward in a platoon role cause then you need that third OF and if he comes up and does well then you move diaz to the 4th OF, if not then you could platoon him and you aren't stuck, bc you weren't depending on his offense (ala j.schafer last year- not the same hitter I know). I say diory because prado and infante and maybe conrad can cover all the positions and i think diory has more upside than barbaro at this point.

Comment

Yea laroche needs to be resigned. I am fine with church going and kelly too. I just don't know about paying a guy 7 or 8mil and then having a guy like diaz on the bench all the time, but I guess it's a good problem to have. I was just trying to be money tight. I guess the reason I said to assume heyward in a platoon role cause then you need that third OF and if he comes up and does well then you move diaz to the 4th OF, if not then you could platoon him and you aren't stuck, bc you weren't depending on his offense (ala j.schafer last year- not the same hitter I know). I say diory because prado and infante and maybe conrad can cover all the positions and i think diory has more upside than barbaro at this point.
          The biggest problem for the Braves offense early on had a lot more to do with believing certain guys would either bounce back or finally gain some consistent offense (Francoeur and Kelly being the major culprits) and I fear the same thing if the Braves one move is bringing back Adam. The way I see it the Braves need a cleanup hitter, since Brian seems much more suited for a 5th spot (considering he might barely play 140 games is another reason for him not to be the cleanup hitter) and Adam is perhaps one of the biggest slow starters the Braves will be going back and forth between cleanup hitters. Now going after a big bat would help but just another player that can play everyday and produce 20 to 25 HRs would be a nice addition. It is clear the Braves can't rely on Chipper to be a big bat so I just think it would be a mistake if the Braves did what amounted to nothing.

The reason I have doubts about Diory is the simple fact the Braves already have Infante and the Braves could use more of a power bat on the bench.
          Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Here's a thought. Matt Diaz might have decent trade value right now. What about the possibility of trading him? Now this is considering that the Braves will sign a a right handed bat that can play the OF.
            My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

You guys probably already knew, but the AJC reported this week that the Braves will try and trade Derek Lowe this winter.

So now that its known, do you guys think any team will call and present a solid offer, or will the Braves be calling around the league looking for takers?

Lowe isn't the a bad pitcher and not to sound harsh, but for the Braves to get 'rid' of him I think they will be stuck paying atleast some of the amount thats due on his contract. Whether that means a few million per year or chipping in so many million, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                You guys probably already knew, but the AJC reported this week that the Braves will try and trade Derek Lowe this winter.

So now that its known, do you guys think any team will call and present a solid offer, or will the Braves be calling around the league looking for takers?

Lowe isn't the a bad pitcher and not to sound harsh, but for the Braves to get 'rid' of him I think they will be stuck paying atleast some of the amount thats due on his contract. Whether that means a few million per year or chipping in so many million, I don't know.
                I would guess if the Braves want to get anything (good) back $5 to 7 Million a year would be required. If someone snatches up Lackey the Braves might get some calls about Lowe (with questions about the majority of the other talented pitchers) but in the end I would guess the Braves might have to call around.

Edit :: One name the Braves could target is BJ Upton, he has had 2 subpar years but clearly has the talent to be a special player. They would have to give up something good to get him but it might be worth the gamble.

Edit 2 :: According to MLBtraderumors.com the Braves have 4 players who could bring back compensation, Gonzalez and Soriano are Type A but unless people truly see them as closers I would have a hard time seeing anyone giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for them, the other 2 are Adam LaRoche and GA who are type B players. I would try to resign Gonzalez and offer arbitration to both LaRoche and GA but what would you guys do?
                Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 10-07-2009, 01:00 PM.
                Extend Prado!!!

Comment

I would guess if the Braves want to get anything (good) back $5 to 7 Million a year would be required. If someone snatches up Lackey the Braves might get some calls about Lowe (with questions about the majority of the other talented pitchers) but in the end I would guess the Braves might have to call around.

Edit :: One name the Braves could target is BJ Upton, he has had 2 subpar years but clearly has the talent to be a special player. They would have to give up something good to get him but it might be worth the gamble.

Edit 2 :: According to MLBtraderumors.com the Braves have 4 players who could bring back compensation, Gonzalez and Soriano are Type A but unless people truly see them as closers I would have a hard time seeing anyone giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for them, the other 2 are Adam LaRoche and GA who are type B players. I would try to resign Gonzalez and offer arbitration to both LaRoche and GA but what would you guys do?
                  not GA, knowing boras they would take it. I don't think he will have a lot of suitors. I would like to see gonzo resigned if it's not too pricey and of course laroche.

also, i don't know about upton, not so much a question of whether or not he can produce, but if we are giving the rays lowe, we are gonna have to pay a large chunk of that salary. Last i heard the rays were already over payroll, looking to cut it. plus, I don't know if he would be worth the price.

Comment

not GA, knowing boras they would take it. I don't think he will have a lot of suitors. I would like to see gonzo resigned if it's not too pricey and of course laroche.

also, i don't know about upton, not so much a question of whether or not he can produce, but if we are giving the rays lowe, we are gonna have to pay a large chunk of that salary. Last i heard the rays were already over payroll, looking to cut it. plus, I don't know if he would be worth the price.
                    I would offer arb. to Gonzo, but probably not GA. GA had a good season for Atlanta and should collect some interest as a corner/4th OF from other clubs. Maybe the Angels can sign him for one year so he can retire.

Doesn't Upton have an attitude problem? He may be a good acquisition, especially if he can return to form, but it still may be too risky....

Comment

I wasn't talking about trading Upton for Lowe but trading for Upton in another deal.

Doesn't Upton have an attitude problem? He may be a good acquisition, especially if he can return to form, but it still may be too risky....
                      I would say it might be worth the risk depending on the player the Braves had to give up.
                      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

I think Schafer has the possibility of being traded/packaged off this winter. Even with a slow start in the bigs, Schafer still retains some of his prospect status. Would combining Lowe and Schafer in a trade be something a team might be more inclined to make rather than just Lowe..??

Comment

I think Schafer has the possibility of being traded/packaged off this winter. Even with a slow start in the bigs, Schafer still retains some of his prospect status. Would combining Lowe and Schafer in a trade be something a team might be more inclined to make rather than just Lowe..??
                          i think schafer is still in the long term plans for CF. Maybe 2011/2012 you have an OF of mclouth-schafer-heyward with an infield of freeman, prado, escobar, chipper. That's a pretty beef team.

Comment

I looked up the numbers and Soriano made just over $6M and Gonzalez pulled in $3.45M. Both being free agents this winter, as I said earlier I like the idea of bringing back Gonzo atleast one more season. He may cost close to Soriano's price for this year. I doubt the Red Sox will pickup Billy Wagner's $8.5M option since he isn't the team's closer, but he could be a viable option if the Braves choose not to bring either Soriano/Gonzo back. Moylan might eventually take over the closing duties, but I like that extra fallback option like the Braves had this year.

Comment

Tim over at mlbtraderumors has posted a rundown of right handed power options for the Braves.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/1...r-atlanta.html

O'Brien's latest as well: http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...ta_braves_blog

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X