No announcement yet.

Braves 2009/2010 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no complaints with McLouth at leadoff.

Yay or nay?
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rpollard86 View Post
      No need to worry about who we trade when we get Damon. The Tigers just offered what the Yankees offered him when he turned it down.. 2 years for 14mil.. Sucks I really was hoping we could get him. Would of been nice to have a real leadoff hitter since furcal left us.

So the question is who should leadoff for us? Mclouth who can hit 20+ hrs and could have 100+ RBI's if he was say to hit 6th rather than leadoff? We just don't have a true leadoff hitter which hurts us in run producing. We have guys like Escobar Prado and Mclouth who play positions who usually lead off and they aren't the typical LeadOff hitter. If it were up to me I'd say lets bat Escobar leadoff he's a doubles machine and have prado/nate hit 2nd/6th....

I really hope maybe without being able to sign Damon Schafer will be ready for the big time. I wouldn't mind seeing a Schafer/Mclouth/Heyward outfield. We will have speed and pop with bats out there. Will Caberera as the 4th outfielder and Matty playing a UTL type position. Maybe play a lil first base and the outfield as well.
      in short there is no way i want escobar batting lead-off. i would rather he hit those doubles in the 6th spot and drive in 100 runs. The other side of that question, to deterimine who leads off. Who would you rather have in the sixth spot, when you need a key rbi: mclouth or escobar?

Comment

• yikes. trying not to worry, but even losing him for a month or two would be a pretty big blow, i think.

from mark bowman, mlb.com

ATLANTA -- Right-hander Jair Jurrjens will see Braves doctors later this week to learn why he has recently felt some discomfort in his right shoulder.

Braves general manager Frank Wren confirmed that Jurrjens is scheduled to undergo an MRI in Atlanta this week. The 24-year-old experienced the shoulder soreness while throwing at the club's Spring Training headquarters at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida last week.

The Braves are hopeful that Jurrjens is simply dealing with normal soreness and has not sustained structural damage to the shoulder. The young right-hander is expected to be a key member of a rotation that lost Javier Vazquez via trade in December.

Jurrjens has combined to go 27-20 with a 3.10 ERA in the 65 starts he has made for the Braves the past two seasons. While avoiding a sophomore slump last season, the Curacao native went 14-10 with a 2.60 ERA.

When Jurrjens completed 188 1/3 innings in 2008, he admittedly felt some fatigue down the stretch. He had never previously thrown more than 143 1/3 innings in a professional season.

Utilizing some of the conditioning tips provided by John Smoltz, Jurrjens didn't show any signs of fatigue while completing 215 innings in 2009. He allowed two earned runs or less in 26 of his 34 starts and posted a 0.97 ERA in the 37 innings that comprised his final five starts.

Comment

• Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
          yikes. trying not to worry, but even losing him for a month or two would be a pretty big blow, i think.

from mark bowman, mlb.com

ATLANTA -- Right-hander Jair Jurrjens will see Braves doctors later this week to learn why he has recently felt some discomfort in his right shoulder.

Braves general manager Frank Wren confirmed that Jurrjens is scheduled to undergo an MRI in Atlanta this week. The 24-year-old experienced the shoulder soreness while throwing at the club's Spring Training headquarters at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida last week.

The Braves are hopeful that Jurrjens is simply dealing with normal soreness and has not sustained structural damage to the shoulder. The young right-hander is expected to be a key member of a rotation that lost Javier Vazquez via trade in December.

Jurrjens has combined to go 27-20 with a 3.10 ERA in the 65 starts he has made for the Braves the past two seasons. While avoiding a sophomore slump last season, the Curacao native went 14-10 with a 2.60 ERA.

When Jurrjens completed 188 1/3 innings in 2008, he admittedly felt some fatigue down the stretch. He had never previously thrown more than 143 1/3 innings in a professional season.

Utilizing some of the conditioning tips provided by John Smoltz, Jurrjens didn't show any signs of fatigue while completing 215 innings in 2009. He allowed two earned runs or less in 26 of his 34 starts and posted a 0.97 ERA in the 37 innings that comprised his final five starts.
          Better to have it happen now (though I wish it didn't happen) that way the Braves can stretch out Medlen to be a possible starter instead of having to do it midseason. Of course I hope it is nothing serious but since I am a big fan of Medlen as a starter it doesn't seem like the end of the world.
          Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• as good as medlen could be, i still think that's a huge drop in production. i was hoping to prove all the analysts wrong and lead the league in pitching, without vasquez.

Comment

• Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
              as good as medlen could be, i still think that's a huge drop in production. i was hoping to prove all the analysts wrong and lead the league in pitching, without vasquez.
              I have a different mindset only because I expect/expected Jair to regress this season, I just have serious doubts that he can have a sub 3.00 ERA again and if I am being honest I expect/expected an ERA around 3.30.

Also for all the posters on the AJC.com blog, shut up. If the Braves didn't make a trade (Vazquez) we would be looking at the same thing from last year a great pitching staff and a terrible offense. Also anyone blaming Bobby on this is just as stupid because being extra careful with pitching prospects has worked out so well for the Yankees. Injuries to pitchers are going to happen when you throw a ball and put that much stress on your arm bad things are more likely to happen then not, also nothing has been confirmed at least wait for the bad news before jumping off the bridge but then again this is the internet so expecting the majority of people to be rational thinking individuals is a lot to ask. (This rant is completely directed at the smartest posters in online baseball the AJC.com posters, I guess when the "writers" are dumb internet posters who fail to notice simple concepts or gloss over facts when trying to make a point you can expect the people who comment on their stuff to be the dimmest bulbs of the bunch)
              Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• While i am extremely disappointed to hear about JJ, I know there is no one to blame, its just something unfortunate that fortunately happened this early.

I'm very excited to see how Heywood is going to look this spring training and have my fingers crossed that chipper and glaus will be heathly and put up something close to their career numbers.

Its going to be an interesting year! Bobby deserves a big year from Atlanta. They will be in it at the allstar break and I can see the organization making a move for a big piece at the time.
                My Blog
                Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
                http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Comment

• Well the good news has come in with Jair only having mild inflammation.
                  Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                    Well the good news has come in with Jair only having mild inflammation.
                    i saw that, but being the pessimist that i am. i am gonna watch til after his first start to be convinced that he is okay.

Comment

• Jair is fine. I'm going up to Orlando next tuesday to watch him and talk to him. Also I its tough for who I want to bat leadoff man. The guys we have Mclouth or Escobar could easily both his 20+ homers and could be 100 RBI guys if they hit in say the 8th hole. This is my only problem not getting Damon. We don't really have a good potential leadoff hitter. We need people on base when McLouth and Escobar come up to bat.
                      trusted traders: Rockhound,xholdourownx,Drillbit,Tebow15

Comment

• The Braves signed 17-year-old infield prospe
                        ct Alejandro Sanchez Martinez to a seven-year contract out of Spain earlier in the winter, according to David Menayo of Marca.com.
                        http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Comment

• Jair is fine. I'm going up to Orlando next tuesday to watch him and talk to him.
                          Please do tell us how it goes.
                          Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

• Signed: C Ryan Query (NDFA—Catawba (N.C.))

Query had been ready to embark on his first season as assistant coach at his alma mater when the Braves signed him. As a Catawba (N.C.) senior last year, he batted .384 with 20 homers and 75 RBIs and made the Division II All-America squad on the third team.
                            http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...7532#more-7532

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X