Rivalry Renewed Mets VS. Braves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivalry Renewed Mets VS. Braves

Game 1 of the season series vs. the Mets is tomorrow night. Braves send Jorge Sosa to the mound. While the Mets send Pedro Matinez to the hill. A pitching mis-match you could say.

Jorge has been very good on the road. Pedro is always good especially in pressure games. The Braves should plan on taking and fighting off pitches to knock Pedro out of the game ASAP.

Sosa should go back to his free and easy pitching motion and quit falling off the mound toward 1B. I'd say 6 or 7 innings of baseball, limiting the Mets to under 3 runs would be a major success.

I'd use Remlinger, Villareal, and Cormier as much as possible when it comes to the bullpen. I'd beware of bringing in Reitsma, Moylan, Ray, or James much.

The Braves better attack Bradford, Sanchez, Julio, and Heilman as much as possible. The Braves will need to play some solid defense. Limiting themselves to most physical and mental errors. If we can do this, we should have a positive outcome.

If the Mets win game 1, it wouldn't give them as much momentum as it would the Braves if the Braves win game 1 , because the Mets are heavily favored to win by sending Pedro to the mound against Sosa.

Good Luck to the Braves in this series. A rivalry should be renewed.

Currently the Braves are 4 games back.

*This thread will serve for anything pertaining to the Braves and Mets playing each other during the 2006 season.
    Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Oh if we could sticky this thread it would be great.

Comment

Oh doesn't it seem that Pedro and Sosa look alot alike.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'd say the Braves take 2 out of 3 games.

Pedro is a good pitcher, but for me a big part of how that game ends is how Sosa pitches. If he can pitch well, then the Braves can stay in the game and have a great chance at winning. Pedro or no Pedro, Sosa really needs a quality start.

Comment

The series with the Mets is very important since they are up 4 games right now. Not crucial, but important. I don't know how healthy they are, but we need to hurry up and get well soon, if that's possible. The pitching match-up is not in our favor. Smoltz will miss the Mets series b/c of the rotation. We will pitch 4, 5, and 1 against their 1, 2, and 3.

9 games in 10 days on the road. Let's come back home with some momentum. I see we play the Mets again when we return home, and if the rotation stays the way it is, we will pitch 3, 4, and 5 against them. Smoltz misses again....don't like that!

Comment

Well, we've reached it. The game is tonight on ESPN.

Key Points:
            We'll be okay if Sosa can locate in the bottom of the strike-zone. He is really effective, when he gets the bottom to fall out of that slider of his. Carlos Delgado owns Sosa throughout his career, I believe he has around 4 homers against him. So I'd pitch around Delgado as much as possible. I'm looking for 6-7 strong innings from Sosa to win this game.

The young guys should step-up. Ryan Langerhans should play a key impact on this game. As usual he will be hitting 3rd in the lineup. If he gets on base alot, this will give Andruw more opportunities to drive in runs, and eventually Pedro has to falter. I'm sure his great defense will also play a role. Brian McCann needs to call an extra good game tonight. I don't want to be shy about throwing a fastball at the top outer part of the zone, and then throwing a knee buckling slider low and in. If McCann gets a few hits batting low in the lineup that should play a good role. Pete Orr should hang-tough and be aggressive hitting lead-off. Wilson Betemit should keep trying to hit the ball to all fields. This is what has caused his recent success. And of course if Jeff Francoeur and Adam LaRoche' get their power stroke coming alive in- sync we'll be okay. It'd also be awesome if Frenchy could rack up some assists.

Andruw Jones needs to relax and not press. He needs to stay back and wait for Pedro to throw him some mediocre pitches higher in the strike-zone, and pulverize them. He can't play in to Pedro and hit some pitchers pitches in which the bottom falls out and Andruw looks silly on them or he justs pops them up.

Finally, the bullpen needs to be the best it has been, and can be. Ken Ray needs to get back to the great change-up pitch he has. I'd try throwing it less in and more away from hitters. Remlinger, Villarreal, and Cormier, they just need to stay themselves and not get over-zealous about facing the Mets. James and Moylan just need to be ready in-case we use them. James should throw more breaking balls, and Moylan need to pitch more away. And Chris Reitsma needs to step up and BE the closer. If he gets called in, in the bottom of the ninth, He needs to be throwing bullets. Hard and High and away Fastballs then a low change-up and a knee buckling curve-ball. He needs to be confident and take charge over the bullpen.

Notes:
            I hope we can get Renteria back soon. Hopefully if not tonight's game, tomorrow nights.....If Jorge Sosa is sub-par again. Look for the braves to be moving him to the trading block by the time Ramirez is back with the club. So basically Sosa really has to pitch well tonight, no matter which team comes out on top.

Mets Current Record: 8-2
            Braves Current Record: 6-7 4 games back.
            Last edited by Go Bravos!!!#1; 04-17-2006, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by atlbravesfan
              The series with the Mets is very important since they are up 4 games right now. Not crucial, but important. I don't know how healthy they are, but we need to hurry up and get well soon, if that's possible. The pitching match-up is not in our favor. Smoltz will miss the Mets series b/c of the rotation. We will pitch 4, 5, and 1 against their 1, 2, and 3.
              !

A Mets fan perspective

We are pretty healthy for the most part.. The only injury is a little nagging hammy injury to Beltran that caused him to miss yesterdays game... He should be back tonight...

Braves do not actually get our 1,2 and 3 pitchers because Pedro is out of order because he missed his 1st start due to injury...

Here are the pitching match-ups for the series after tonight:
              • Tuesday: Braves (RHP Kyle Davies, 0-1, 8.38 ERA) at Mets (RHP Victor Zambrano, 1-0, 5.40 ERA), 7:10 p.m. ET
              • Wednesday: Brewers (RHP Tim Hudson, 0-1, 9.20 ERA) at Mets (LHP Tom Glavine, 2-0, 1.50 ERA), 1:10 p.m. ET

You actually get our 1, 5 and 2 starters... The Hudson vs Glavine match-up has the potential to be a good one...

Tough spot for the Braves to come into Shea with the starters not pitching too well and the Mets bats hot to start the season but as I'm sure you all know, throw out the stats and records when these 2 play each other...

I like the Mets to pull 2 of 3 in this series because they are home and probably still, even with the hot start, feel they have something to prove vs the Braves..

Good luck in the series
              "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
              ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Baseball Guru for the Mets point of view.

This series oughta be a good one. The Braves have won every season series vs. the Mets since 1997. So the Mets are indeed looking to prove themselves. The Braves are just trying to get back on track. Our starting pitching is beginning to come around, and the Mets offense has been spectacular.

Game 2 is a more even match up, and Game 3 should be a classic.

Though I'd Love this Match-up.

John Thomson vs. Steve Trachsel
                Tim Hudson vs. Tom Glavine
                John Smoltz vs. Pedro Martinez

I hope we can get that before the season is over.

Good Luck to the Mets As Don Sutton says " This series oughta be a dandy"

Comment

Pedro beats Sosa.
                  Zambrano beats Davies.

Hudson vs. Glavine in going to be a draw, it will come down to the bullpens.

Mets win that game with Wagner having a dramatic 9th.
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                    Pedro beats Sosa.
                    Zambrano beats Davies.

Hudson vs. Glavine in going to be a draw, it will come down to the bullpens.

Mets win that game with Wagner having a dramatic 9th.
                    Great analysis Efin!

Seriously I would be happy with the Braves avoiding the sweep in this series only because of the way our starting pitching has been. I expect Pedro to be too much for Sosa to keep up with, especially the way it looks like Sosa has lost the houdini effect. Davies can hang with Zambrano and I think the Braves line up can get to Zambrano, he is 2-3 with a 3.62 ERA and the Braves hitters have been doing alright so far. Game three could be intriguing. I think Hudson is due for a good outing and the way the Braves have hit Glavine in the past I like our chances in this game. That being said I think Glavine finally settled down in his last start against the Braves (maybe his last two) so it could be a close game. If it does come down to the bullpens I do not expect ATL to be afraid of wagner as they have had a couple of late wis against him. Combine that with the fact that Reitsma has had good luck against the Mets and the edge could go to Atlanta.

Like I said at the beginning of my post I would be happy to avoid the sweep but ATL taking 2 of 3 would not surprise me either if our starting pitchers can do what they are capable of. I do not see either team sweeping the series.
                    I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

I highly doubt the Braves will get swept. If they do I will be highly dissapointed. This first game is going to be the tester. If the Braves really hang-tough look for the series to go more in the Braves favor.

If the Braves get blown away this 1st game, look for the rest of the series to go the same way. h

Let's get off to a gooooooood start!

Comment

No sweep either way I don't think. The Braves have been kinda lethargic lately. Maybe this series is what they need to get them fired up and get the pitching staff going. The offense has been better than expected all year. The Mets have been hot but this is their first real test of the year unless you think the Brewers are for real. I'd venture to say the Braves would have a better record if their schedule had resembled the Mets' thus far. But now it's time to put all that aside and prove some things between the lines where it counts. 9 games with each other in the next 2 weeks. That's half the season total done by the beginning of May and it could definitely set a tone for the division race. I say the Braves would be thrilled to take 6 out of the 9 upcoming games against the Mets and that's certainly possible.
                        Let's go Braves!!

Comment

Welcome back ATL22 you haven't posted in a while, great to see you back.

I agree. 6 of 9 would be a huge uplift for the Braves. As long as the Braves stay really close with the Mets, I think the Braves have the advantage in the division race. Let's get this one tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
                            Welcome back ATL22 you haven't posted in a while, great to see you back.
                            Thanks GB. It has been a while.....too long really. It's a busy time of year at school from March until early May but I hope to resume posting as a regular on here again.

I think the biggest thing is the Braves have the mental edge. Sure there is a little pressure on the Braves to keep their streak going. None of these guys wants to be on the team that lets that streak end. But the Mets know this has been the Braves division and the measuring stick for all their offseason additions the past two years is whether or not they can dethrone the Bravos. We are still the team to beat until someone proves otherwise and believe me, Willie Randolph and all his boys know that. Deep down I think that adds a lot of pressure to them as they go out there to face the Braves head to head. I'm hoping for a renewal of the late 90's rivalry with these guys. No offense to Met fans but I hate the Mets because as a Braves fan I remember those rivalry days. I don't want to ever see our streak end but I do prefer seeing the Mets or Phillies or somebody be good enough to give us a run for our money rather than us steamrolling to a 25 game division win. If somebody finally steps up and beats us fair and square over a 162 game season then I'll tip my hat to them and say they earned it. I'm hoping for a heck of a pennant race that culminates in a world championship for Atlanta! I think the first big step in that direction comes tonight.
                            Let's go Braves!!

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod
                              Great analysis Efin!
                              Going with my gutt on this one. I don't think it will be anything spectacular outside of the Hudson/Glavine game. Pedro will have a great night but won't have an overwheling lead. The same goes for the Zambrano game. I think the Mets have the better lineup and will have more hits and runs through the series but Atlanta will make their hits count. Which is also why I believe the game between Hudson and Glavine will come down to the bullpens with the Braves coming up big when they need it most...
                              Best posts ever:
                              Originally posted by nymdan
                              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X