A Look Back on the Decade: 2000-2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look Back on the Decade: 2000-2009

We all know 2009 is coming to an end, but along with the end of the year is the end of another decade of Braves baseball. Sadly, the playoff streak ended in this decade and we saw some of our most beloved players and coaches (Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux, A. Jones, Yost, Mazzone) depart to other teams. I was thinking about asking everybody to post their "all-decade team", but I've realized many of those threads go nowhere. So, I'd like to ask my fellow Braves fans (and fans of other teams too) to post some of your Braves memories from this past decade. Post some of your favorite players, memorable games etc.

Personally....

I'll never forget this decade of Braves baseball, because it was the first decade I can remember vividly. As far as I know I attended my first Braves game in July 1997. I was only 6 at the time so I can't verify that date.

In this decade I attended 11* games at Turner Field and listened/watched hundreds of others. For those that haven't been to Turner Field, you're missing out on a great experience. I took in one playoff game, which was against the Astros back in 2004 (a Game 2 win), the intensity was higher at that game than any game I had been to at the time. When I think back to my favorite players I think of guys like Gary Sheffield, Peter Moylan, Andruw Jones, Greg Maddux, and Vinny Castilla. Alright, enough of my rambling...

*Game breakdown (according to my tickets and gameday guides)

I know I went to a game every year, I probably just lost the tickets or went with a summer camp.

2002- Cubs & Marlins
    2004- Astros & Cardinals....Astros (PLAYOFFS)
    2005- Nationals
    2007- Phillies & Marlins
    2008- Nationals
    2009- Pirates & Phillies

R.I.P.

Jim Beauchamp
    Clete Boyer
    Lew Burdette
    Skip Caray
    Ivan Murrell
    Johnny Sain
    Warren Spahn
    Last edited by Atlanta Braves Freak; 12-24-2009, 03:02 PM.
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

I will remember this decade as the time I first got to see a Braves game live. It was in the trash heap known as Shea but I was glad to support the Braves up there, got to see Maddux pitch and the Braves won (can't remember the exact date, mainly because I have a horrible memory with those types of things).

Next I made the trip to Atlanta with my father to see 2 games against the Giants, first game we lost with Maddux on the mound and remember two monster shots by Jeff Kent, I remember everyone leaving in the 7th so me and my dad moved down a bunch of rows.

Second game was a different story with Glavine on the mound and dominating, perhaps the most memorable moment was when the bullpen door opened up and this came out of the speakers with Smoltz coming out of the bullpen all I could do was :bowdown:. Perhaps the most tense moment I have ever had live happened there with Barry Bonds up at the plate and flying one two the deepest part of CF (another couple feet and it was gone).

I also remember the trip as I got my first jersey (quality jersey) on that trip, it wasn't A. Jones, C. Jones, Maddux, Glavine or Smoltz but my personal favorite Gary Sheffield. I still have it in my closet and I loved seeing Sheff's Chefs in the upper decks and still rooted for him after he left (though not with the Mets ).

After that I went for 4 straight years with different family members, saw the Mets there twice with the most vivid thing sticking out in my mind of that trip being a Mets fan who would stand up after the Mets did anything good and yell, at one point the Braves had a comfortable lead and one Met hit a solo shot and he stood up and yelled "here we come, this is the start of a comeback" of course they didn't score again (:lol but you could tell he was joking around and it was all in good fun.

I went to see the Astros one year which was fun but nothing really sticks out on that trip.

The one trip I remember the most was going down with my dad again to see a three game series against the Boston Red Sox. Since he is a big Red Sox fan it was a ton of fun, lots of Red Sox fans and even shared a cab or two with some after the game. Almost all the Sox fans I met were really friendly and all the trash talk between the groups was all good natured and fun, the only bad thing was that the Braves got swept.

The top game that I remember watching on TV was a loss, it was during the Braves 15 game winning streak in 2000. I stayed up to watch to see if Maddux could continue the streak of course it came to an end that night but it was fun to watch.
    Extend Prado!!!

Comment

From 2000-2009 I went to Turner Field for 6 games and saw the Braves in action. The teams I saw them play against were the Cubs, D'Backs (2 games), Nationals, Phillies, and Mariners. I can still remember each one pretty well. The best game I went to was actually a game the Braves lost. It was against the Diamondbacks on May 18th, 2004. If you don't recognize the date that is the day of Randy Johnson's perfect game. What a wild and crazy game that was. The atmosphere at Turner Field was electric. Nobody could believe what had just saw. I'm hoping to make it to a game in 2010.
      My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
        From 2000-2009 I went to Turner Field for 6 games and saw the Braves in action. The teams I saw them play against were the Cubs, D'Backs (2 games), Nationals, Phillies, and Mariners. I can still remember each one pretty well. The best game I went to was actually a game the Braves lost. It was against the Diamondbacks on May 18th, 2004. If you don't recognize the date that is the day of Randy Johnson's perfect game. What a wild and crazy game that was. The atmosphere at Turner Field was electric. Nobody could believe what had just saw. I'm hoping to make it to a game in 2010.
        That May 18 game was painful to listen to on the radio. I was just hoping somebody would get a good swing.
        2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
          That May 18 game was painful to listen to on the radio. I was just hoping somebody would get a good swing.
          It seemed like a number of the 'good hit' balls were hit right at the opposing player. I've always wondered how the crowd would have reacted if Eddie Perez (the last batter) would have gotten a hit and spoiled the perfect game. It sounded like the entire stadium was behind RJ those last few innings.
          My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X