Atlanta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta?

Is Atlanta considered a "baseball town"?

I live right outside Atlanta and I unfortunately have to say no. I think that the Atlanta fans are very close to fair weather fans. When the papers in Atlanta started to questions the teams decisions there was a drop in the 'quality' of fans at the games. Many fans are there just to be in the environment of the stadium but not quite the support if the team. They are starting to become like New York fans as much as I hate saying it. If we win they like us, but if not then they don't waste the time. It is the same with all the teams in Atlanta. That is why I think this. I have always thought Atlanta was a great team and a great baseball environment but not quite a baseball city.
    I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
    Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

Originally posted by xholdourownx View Post
      I live right outside Atlanta and I unfortunately have to say no. I think that the Atlanta fans are very close to fair weather fans. When the papers in Atlanta started to questions the teams decisions there was a drop in the 'quality' of fans at the games. Many fans are there just to be in the environment of the stadium but not quite the support if the team. They are starting to become like New York fans as much as I hate saying it. If we win they like us, but if not then they don't waste the time. It is the same with all the teams in Atlanta. That is why I think this. I have always thought Atlanta was a great team and a great baseball environment but not quite a baseball city.
      That's pretty much what I believe. Atlanta fans don't come to ball games if the teams don't win, and that's true with every major sport in the city. It's most noticeable with the Braves because they have become the most high-profile team.

So, in short: no, Atlanta is not a good baseball town.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
        Is Atlanta considered a "baseball town"?
        As the others have stated it is far from the best town, as more fans (at least at the games I have been to) appear to be there for family entertainment then cheering on a team. Winning and putting a competitive team on the field would help build more "hardcore" fans or just have the right type of city (Boston, Philly and New York except for the Knicks of course ).

Something that could help with fan support is Jason Heyward (I know he can do everything ), having a major black star in a city like Atlanta could boost fans. Of course if they don't win it will be all for nothing.
        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
          As the others have stated it is far from the best town, as more fans (at least at the games I have been to) appear to be there for family entertainment then cheering on a team. Winning and putting a competitive team on the field would help build more "hardcore" fans or just have the right type of city (Boston, Philly and New York except for the Knicks of course ).

Something that could help with fan support is Jason Heyward (I know he can do everything ), having a major black star in a city like Atlanta could boost fans. Of course if they don't win it will be all for nothing.
          Exactly. When the Braves were winning consistently, people came to the ballparks, but something happened when they started to bomb out in the NLDS and they suddenly couldn't draw in playoff games, which is almost unheard of in today's baseball world. That's probably where the "fair-weather" reputation comes from. The Braves went from "the place to be" in the early 90s to "let's go see a winner" in the mid to late 90s to "let's go see if they'll win" in the 2000s to "let's go see a game" now.

Comment

I always thought the Braves would have become more like the Cardinals (huge regional following)meaning fans coming from the surrounding southern states and filling the park on a nightly basis since the Braves were on TBS for so many years.

Comment

I always thought the Braves would have become more like the Cardinals (huge regional following)meaning fans coming from the surrounding southern states and filling the park on a nightly basis since the Braves were on TBS for so many years.
              Actually it is the exact opposite, according to the Harris Interactive the Braves have ranked in the Top 3 of most popular baseball teams since 2003 (ranked 3rd this year). The Braves are a very popular team nationally because of TBS, as a fan from upstate New York I should know. The problem is that the local fans have fallen off but whenever you see the Braves go somewhere else there will be a decent group of Braves fans. Now they don't compare to Boston, Yankees or Cubs fans when it comes to traveling but Boston and Cubs fans have built up a Cult following (though I believe there are a lot of bandwagon fans for Boston that jumped on after they won the World Series) and the Yankees are the Yankees.

The Braves have a very big fanbase thanks largely to TBS (being able to watch over a 100 games on TBS were the days) but it is very spreadout, while they get fans from other states you still need the majority of your fans coming from a certain range if you want a sellout as thousands of people aren't going to drive hours to see a game just to drive back (though if I was within driving distance say 3 hours I would have season tickets ).
              Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 01-03-2010, 07:25 AM.
              Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Yeah, as PBF said, it doesn't quite work like that. The only times that Turner Field seems to sell out these days are when the Cubs, Cardinals, Red Sox or Yankees come to town. When they do, it's like the Braves have a road game.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                  Yeah, as PBF said, it doesn't quite work like that. The only times that Turner Field seems to sell out these days are when the Cubs, Cardinals, Red Sox or Yankees come to town. When they do, it's like the Braves have a road game.
                  That's true and its sad. Those are the sell out games these days. I mean, the bandwagon fans jump on board when the the team is winning and jump off when they're not. Most sports teams experience that. I've never worried about getting tickets to a Braves game because their are usually plenty available. I think the stretch throughout the '90s was the most exciting times that the Braves, fans, and the city had together as one. Somewhere between 2000-2003 people starting giving up on the team which led to lesser fan support at Turner Field and empty seats. :twocents:
                  My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Excellent two cents, Extra Innings.

Comment

Sad to say, but I agree with everything stated in this thread. I can't really consider many people of Atlanta teams "fans".
                      2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

I would argue that the most popular sports team among Atlantans plays its home games a little over an hour northeast of downtown. Here's a link to its website.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
                          Sad to say, but I agree with everything stated in this thread. I can't really consider many people of Atlanta teams "fans".
                          Exactly. I bet there are more UGA and GT fans than any other pro team in Atlanta or Georgia. I also bet that they do not even know they have an NHL team (Thrashers) in town.
                          Denver Bears* (1955-1985)/ Zephyrs (1985-1992)
                          Colorado Rockies (1993-Present)
                          1995 2007 2009
                          * - preferred name

Comment

Originally posted by jrh31584 View Post
                            I would argue that the most popular sports team among Atlantans plays its home games a little over an hour northeast of downtown. Here's a link to its website.

Originally posted by Altitude View Post
                            Exactly. I bet there are more UGA and GT fans than any other pro team in Atlanta or Georgia. I also bet that they do not even know they have an NHL team (Thrashers) in town.

Atlanta is a city made up of a lot of transplants, so you'll see allegiances to teams from everywhere. Let any of the ATL teams get hot and experience success and you'll see tons of bandwagon fans.
                            2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Altitude View Post
                              Its clearly obvious that most people in the South favor football over baseball. I think a number of people throughout the region jumped on the Braves bandwagon during the early-late '90s and then jumped off. Reasons being failure in the postseason, not interested in the sport, etc, etc. The state of baseball or constant news about the steroid era also takes the interest away from some. One thing is certain, I know that I've been a fan and will always be a fan of the Braves.
                              My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X