Braves 2010 Spring Training/Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braves 2010 Spring Training/Season Thread

Thought with pitchers and catchers reporting it is about time to get some sort of thread started.

To start off the thread Damon goes to the Tigers.

Though the Braves might be able to sign a top international prospect from 2 years ago. He is an impressive physical specimen at 6'3" at 18 years old, from a pure physical standpoint he is similar to SS like A-Rod and Hanley. Here is a small scouting report from 2007.

Edward Salcedo is a FA SS with a 6'3'', 190 lb. frame from La Vega, Dominican Republic. Big League body, strong and athletic. Smooth, easy defensive actions, easy plus arm, can really play SS. Aggressive swing, power projection, deep load from wide base, good bat speed, geared to drive fastballs, timing will be an issue. All the tools to be a top player. Potential 1st round type if in draft.

Source :: PerfectGame.org
    Here are two videos as well Video 1 and Video 2. His ability to hit breaking balls and plate discipline will be the keys (which is true for everyone) but physically he could easily develop some impressive power. He could also eventually move to 3B and become the clear heir to Chipper. Anyway his signing would really help ease the pain of not having a 1st round pick this year.
    Extend Prado!!!

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    He could also eventually move to 3B and become the clear heir to Chipper. Anyway his signing would really help ease the pain of not having a 1st round pick this year.
    that's what i was hoping/thinking when i saw this.

Comment

has the deal been finalized yet?
      My Blog
      Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
      http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Comment

Originally posted by adamsowell View Post
        has the deal been finalized yet?
        The last update I saw was that it wasn't final yet but was only being held up by a physical which could happen in the next few days. Also the money is reportedly over 1.5 Million but less then 2.
        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

The last update I saw was that it wasn't final yet but was only being held up by a physical which could happen in the next few days. Also the money is reportedly over 1.5 Million but less then 2.
          what level do you think he would start at? class A? i don't remember seeing anything about where he has played before. I assume nothing professional.

Comment

Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
            what level do you think he would start at? class A? i don't remember seeing anything about where he has played before. I assume nothing professional.
            Hard to say he might stay for extended spring training (if signed, just being careful in case something happens) then move to Danville. He is basically just a highschool kid so moving him to fast isn't the best idea. If I had to guess the highest level he'll get this year is Rome but if he shows some big flaw in his game then he might stay as low as GCL or Danville.
            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Braves sign JR House

The Braves added minor-league depth by signing catcher/corner infielder J.R. House, a name that football fans might recall.

The 30-year-old journeyman was a high school quarterback sensation in West Virginia in the late 1990s, then a power-hitting prospect with the Pittsburgh Pirates. But he’s never had success beyond the Class AAA level, or much opportunity.
              http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...ta_braves_blog

Comment

Getting compared to Hanley piques my interest, immediately.
                Anyway his signing would really help ease the pain of not having a 1st round pick this year.
                That's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm pretty excitied about this.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

That's precisely what he provides: minor league depth. Looks like J. C. Boscan might have some competition when it comes to that role.
                  46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Impressive first day for Heyward, showing good discipline, some nice speed and a pretty quick bat. I just can't stop getting excited about the future with Hanson and Heyward.
                    Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Agreed. Those two and Medlin are the good takeaways from today's game.

Comment

yea, those walks were more impressive than the hit for me. half of the balls that frenchy would have swung at. good baserunning today too.

Comment

Originally posted by R.J. Anderson (FanGraphs) View Post

The star of spring training thus far has to be Jason Heyward. Before the exhibition season begins there’s only so many actions that can create hype. Going on a fastball-crunching, executive car-battering frenzy during batting practice is one of those actions. Media and fans are like are swooning over this guy, which makes it time for the Braves to think about their future and Heyward’s role in that future by glancing at Evan Longoria’s situation from 2008.

No, not the demotion to the minors, but by making sure Heyward buddies up with Eric Hinske and discusses the finer points of ballplayer finances. Generally, having the stud rookie talk with a former stud rookie whose most notable accomplishment in the last 12 months includes a $5,000 tattoo seems like a recipe for disaster, but remember what Hinske did for Longoria? If not, a refresher:

“He told me don’t pass up the chance to make your first fortune,” Longoria recalled with a smile. “I trust everything he says and I definitely took that advice.”

Longoria, of course, signed a six-year, $17.5M extension that could reach nine-years and more than $30M if things stay on course. That deal is the Heyward of contracts and a large reason why Longoria has been named the most valuable asset in baseball two years running by this site. Obviously Hinske’s words may not capture Heyward’s (or his agent’s) heart quite like they caught Longoria, but Heyward has the makings of a special career. With such, the Braves should pull out the big guns and have Hinske attached to Heyward’s hip all spring.

If nothing else, maybe the snake on Hinske’s back can intimidate the youngster into doing some inking of his own.
                          i guy can hope. I think it would take a similar deal for heyward tomorrow. And yes it's worth the rest to me.

Comment

Originally posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
                            yea, those walks were more impressive than the hit for me. half of the balls that frenchy would have swung at. good baserunning today too.
                            His swing reminds me a lot of Fred McGriff
                            My Blog
                            Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
                            http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Comment

Originally posted by adamsowell View Post
                              His swing reminds me a lot of Fred McGriff
                              Yes. I've thought that for a while. Freddie's swing and power as part of a 5 tool package.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X