Going to Turner Field for the First time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Turner Field for the First time

Hello all BBF Braves fans! I am going to be making a trip to Atlanta next month (June 15th/16th) to see the Rays play the Braves at Turner Field. I've never been to ATL before, but I've been researching it lot online.

1. I see a lot of people saying that the area around Turner Field is very "ghetto" and dangerous, particularly at night. Is this entirely true? I'm planning to take the MARTA from the airport to the Georgia State station and then walk the mile or so to Turner Field. I have the feeling that this will be safe in the daytime but perhaps unadvisable at night. Would you walk back to the MARTA from the ball park after a night game? Will there be others doing this (safety in numbers)?

2. Where would be the safest place to stay in the city? After reading reviews of the hotels directly next to Turner Field, I get the sense that isn't a great place to stay. Also people have told me to stay out of downtown at night. I'm looking at a few hotels near the Buckhead MARTA station. Is this a decent area?

3. Finally, any tips on what to see/eat/do at the ballpark? Are there any things not to miss?

Thanks in advance for your advice, everyone!
    :radio Please check out my collection of vintage baseball recordings:

http://www.oldtimesports.net/users/AWilliams

Originally posted by NineWorldSeries View Post
    Hello all BBF Braves fans! I am going to be making a trip to Atlanta next month (June 15th/16th) to see the Rays play the Braves at Turner Field. I've never been to ATL before, but I've been researching it lot online.

1. I see a lot of people saying that the area around Turner Field is very "ghetto" and dangerous, particularly at night. Is this entirely true? I'm planning to take the MARTA from the airport to the Georgia State station and then walk the mile or so to Turner Field. I have the feeling that this will be safe in the daytime but perhaps unadvisable at night. Would you walk back to the MARTA from the ball park after a night game? Will there be others doing this (safety in numbers)?

2. Where would be the safest place to stay in the city? After reading reviews of the hotels directly next to Turner Field, I get the sense that isn't a great place to stay. Also people have told me to stay out of downtown at night. I'm looking at a few hotels near the Buckhead MARTA station. Is this a decent area?

3. Finally, any tips on what to see/eat/do at the ballpark? Are there any things not to miss?

Thanks in advance for your advice, everyone!
    Everytime I have been there I have never had a problem. Even walked all the way to Downtown from Turner after a night game with my family, never got into trouble. I always stay downtown and never have had problems. The ones I have gone to sometimes have police there to keep everything under control but that was mainly for the very crowded games (ie. Red Sox Series). My personal experience would tell you not to worry because I have walked to and from games at night and have never felt unsafe.
    Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Usually when I go to a late game I will stay at the Hyatt downtown. I have never had to walk but it's about 3 miles from the ballpark. A cab ride will likely cost about 10-12 clams.
      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

I've never had a problem in Atlanta. I've walked from the ballpark to my hotel downtown after night games many times without a problem. It is a circus getting out of the parking lot or getting on a bus or cab after the game so taking a stroll isn't a bad option. Atlanta is a nice city with nice people. It is my 2nd favorite place to go to a game after NYC.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X