Yunel Traded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yunel Traded!

i'm not sure how I feel about Alex Gonzalez.

17 Hrs stand out, but he strikes out a lot and rarely walks.

I guess overall I'm happy with the deal... what do you guys think?
    My Blog
    Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
    http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Originally posted by adamsowell View Post
    i'm not sure how I feel about Alex Gonzalez.

17 Hrs stand out, but he strikes out a lot and rarely walks.

I guess overall I'm happy with the deal... what do you guys think?
    some people seem to be saying the braves are buying high and selling low on alex, but while this may be true this is clearly a "win now" move. Also, more importantly the braves got another above average AA pitching prospect (so they can even more afford to trade a pitcher if they want to add an OF bat) and a SS in class A with a good OBP and some speed (him and mycal jones should be ready by 2012 hopefully). I wish that escobar could have gotten going, but the more I think about it I don't this this is just a win one for cox move. This is a team that is trying to win this year, because (in addition to cox) the braves could be going into this offseason losing their 1B, 3B, closer (and back up closer) and probably need to add a LF or CF (if mclouth doesn't turn it around). I hope this move pays off. I think the braves will probably bat gonzalez after mccann and glaus. I also think the teams will stand pat for now, at least until maybe a day or so before the deadline if the braves think that diaz, melky and hinske aren't gonna keep contributing or that mclouth is still really struggling. I don't see any need to add to the pen with guys like dunn, kimbrel, resop, minor, marek in AAA and the pen pitching so well.

Comment

Great move!

Comment

Very bad move IMO. Escobar has much more talent than Gonzalez, who is having his best power season ever. Escobar will put up much better numbers in the second half. We also lose Escobar's defensive skills to include his strong arm.

Comment

Originally posted by AStubbs7 View Post
          Very bad move IMO. Escobar has much more talent than Gonzalez, who is having his best power season ever. Escobar will put up much better numbers in the second half. We also lose Escobar's defensive skills to include his strong arm.
          You forget: Yunel was a clubhouse cancer. This move is a "get rid of Escobar" move, not an "obtain Gonzalez" move. Things must have been going on for Wren having to pull the trigger on him this early; he's not an idiot. Besides, having talent doesn't do you a shred of good if you're immature, and it appears that Escobar was like that. His time with the Braves was clearly running out.

The Braves will not lose much defensive skill with Gonzalez. In fact, in practice, I'd have to believe he's just as good. Not "flashy" good, but he'll still make Lowe and Hudson proud. Gonzalez's only flaw is that he doesn't walk, but he won't have to if hitting low in the order, which he should be.

If Yunel matures and revives his career in Toronto, that's great, but now the Braves have a possible bridge to top prospect Edward Salcedo if he pans out.

Plus, the Braves also got a good shortstop prospect and a lefty reliever who was once called a "little Billy Wagner". I'd say that's a ringing endorsement. :P
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

I endorse Sam's post, wholeheartedly.

I loved Yunel from the minute he arrived and I've defended him over and over but this was going to happen, sooner or later. I don't want to be sitting around in mid-September, ruing the fact that we didn't get a 2010 SS upgrade and it cost us a chance to win the division.

If the system was barren, I would be more upset, but this team has guys lining up to be excellent players at several levels and many positions.
            3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

I thought Cox got rid of Escobar for good reason since he had so much talent. Hope he can get his head screwed on straight and prosper.
              sigpic

"If I hear Bowie Kuhn say just once more he's doing something for the betterment of baseball, I'm going to throw-up.">Sparky Anderson
              MLB/Rockies/Yankees, Backer

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X