Franceour's slump drawing unwanted attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franceour's slump drawing unwanted attention

I've noticed several articles popping up about Franceour and some of them are quite knowledge, and back up their claims with stats not just hearsay. I found both of these through talkingchop.com

I thought you guys would be interested in a couple of them if you already haven't ready them.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...call_on_f.html

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomi...eff-francoeur/

The second one is especially good in my opinion, to me it is quite interesting

I hope to get some discussion going about how you all feel Franceour is doing, will do, etc.

I've been wondering about him for a while, he obviously has a lot of power, his swing is very clean, good in the field. Should he be platooned at all? Certain situations? What options would the Braves have if they wanted to do something? The talk about the scouting reports on him made me think, I certainly never thought about it like that. But he did outplay his minor league performance in the majors for a while. Frenchy really needs to make some adjusts with his hitting whether its mentally or maybe his timing, his swing is pretty solid when I see it. Anytime you lead the Majors in swinging at first pitches, and you aren't Mad Vlad, then that probably isn't a good thing. Btw, Franceour is beating Vlad at that too.

There also is/was a thread in the coaching/fundamentals forum about his swing, has some video too.

This is the 'meat' of the AJC article in case anyone gets the login screen

He still hasn't drawn a walk, and he's swung at a majors-leading 55.7 percent of first pitches. Anaheim's Vlad Guerrero (54.9) is the only other major leaguer who's swung at as many as 47 percent of first pitches.
    Finally, there's this: Francoeur hit .379 with 10 homers, 30 RBIs and a .734 slugging percentage in his first 33 games in the majors last season, through Aug. 20.

In 50 games since Aug. 28, he has a .207 average with seven homers, 22 RBIs and a .362 slugging percentage, with 44 strikeouts in 188 at-bats.
    Last edited by grizzly451; 04-28-2006, 05:43 AM.

This one just is mainly discussion. But the people that post bring up some pretty good stats.
    http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomi...rancoeur-game/
    Last edited by grizzly451; 04-28-2006, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Since he swings at so many pitches, maybe he should be told to take pitches until he gets a strike?

Comment

Frenchy will come around, I'd give him 2 weeks and he should be back to his old self.
        Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

And I just did the math, if you take away his 3 for 37 start, he's hitting .297. Now that's more like it.

Comment

But his OBP is going to be even lower than that, the 297 is fine, but if he never walks it makes it a VERY empty 297. Thats not Right Fielder stats, thats a 1960s short stop...

Comment

Don't get me wrong though, I think Frenchy has some great skills, his strikeout rate isn't that bad for a player these days, especially a young one. But his walk rate is horrible. I'm not saying he needs to walk 100+ times or anything like that, but even Vlad draws a fair number of walks to go along with his agressive nature at the plate. He still sees a better then average number of pitches per AB (I THINK). I guess I'm thinking more of a balance here. There is such a thing as being too aggressive, sometimes a walk is as good as a hit.

I'm sure he feels like he should swing, especially at the first pitch, but I think pitchers expect this and more often then not getting him 0-1 on bad pitches that may or may not be balls. I wish I had video of several games he's been in this season just to see what pitches are thrown at him the most as first pitches of his ABs. High, Low, Inside, Away. Fastballs, Changeups, Curveballs, etc.
              Last edited by grizzly451; 04-28-2006, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzly451
                I wish I had video of several games he's been in this season just to see what pitches are thrown at him the most as first pitches of his ABs. High, Low, Inside, Away. Fastballs, Changeups, Curveballs, etc.
                From what I've seen either low and away fastballs, or high and in fastballs.

Comment

I agree that strikeouts arent any worse than any other out, and consitency would definitley be good. What he needs is to actually take an approach at the plate and not just go in swinging. And unfortunately, he is not seeing a good number of pitches, he has one of the fewest pitches per plate appearances of anyone - only 3.1!!! WHen you factor in 18 Ks, which at a minimal give him 3 pitches per at bat, you can see how much he is flailing up there.
                  I'm not trying to rag on him, I like the kid, he's got tons of potential and a great attitude, but something has to be done.
                  These guys have something to say about it too, its buried in the middle of the first article, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you read the other stuff too...
                  http://bravesoxtalk.com/I-85_Club.html

Comment

i like him and he thrilled me last year but he has absolutely no plate discipline and seems destined for failure - he's fodder for the skilled pitchers

Comment

He seems to be doing pretty good now. He is fifth in the NL in RBI, his average is rising steadily, and he's on pace to hit 25-30 homers. I read somewhere that one scout who followed him throughout his minor league career said that Jeff Francouer has always gone through slumps and hot streaks, almost exclusively, and there is usually not too much in between. But I think that will change too, Terry Pendleton made Andruw Jones (who was also very streaky and struck out on a lot of bad pitches) into what he is today, he can do the same with Francouer.

Comment

So far he Francoeur has at begun to take the first pitch during some of his ABs. I think he is beginning understand that he doesn't have to go after the first thing he sees and that by having a willingness to take the first pitch he's making the pitcher work harder.

Comment

The changes in Francoeur are evident and they will continue to improve. Take away his 2 for 36 and he's hitting exactly .312 .

Comment

Originally posted by foxxx
                            He seems to be doing pretty good now. He is fifth in the NL in RBI, his average is rising steadily, and he's on pace to hit 25-30 homers. I read somewhere that one scout who followed him throughout his minor league career said that Jeff Francouer has always gone through slumps and hot streaks, almost exclusively, and there is usually not too much in between. But I think that will change too, Terry Pendleton made Andruw Jones (who was also very streaky and struck out on a lot of bad pitches) into what he is today, he can do the same with Francouer.
                            Well I hope you are right about TP working with Frenchy. As someone who got to watch Jeff in the minors I can tell you he is either Hot or Cold and I have seen him be both.
                            I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

The guy is only 22 so he might very well develop some plate discipline. The odds are somewhat against it but players have turned their careers around. I don't want to get into a "did he or didn't he" argument but Sosa's career really blossomed when he finally became a little more selective at the plate.
                              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X