Braves 2010/11 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    I don't see it a lot that indicates a sharp decline and if you are a believer in things like UZR then he has a chance to increase his value as he is a much better defender away from Florida. Now I don't think he is a .280 hitter but more a .260 or slightly higher type isn't terrible if you add his overall power. If you do believe in UZR (I'm 50/50 on it) then one could make an arguement his value could go up as an increase to even slightly below average would boost his overall value to any team.

You also have to look at the market place this year went back to the old days of spending a lot and giving extra years. I mean guys like Beltre (5 years, $80 Million), John Buck (3 years, $18 Million), Jayson Werth (7 years, $126 Million), Victor Martinez (4 Years, $50 Million), Paul Konerko (3 years, $37.5 Million), and Adam Dunn (4 years, $56 Million). The Marlins also valued him at around the same price the Braves will pay him (12 million a year for them, 12.4 for the Braves on average) so the Braves weren't the only team that valued him at that price with similar years. The contract isn't perfect but in todays market you will be hard pressed to find a great free agent/one year left contract that is. While imperfect I am fine with the contract on the whole and would rather have 3 good years and lets say 2 average to below average years, then one good year and 2 picks from arbitration.

Just so you know this isn't targeted at you Sam.
    Great points. Much better than I could have ever articulated. I'm just thinking that if Uggla does have a hard decline in, say the last two years of that contract the Brave men are gong to be stuck with a salary albatross a la Luis Castillo (or Oliver Perez).

I'm not hating; just being cynical.
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Originally posted by Allie Fox View Post
      Great points. Much better than I could have ever articulated. I'm just thinking that if Uggla does have a hard decline in, say the last two years of that contract the Brave men are gong to be stuck with a salary albatross a la Luis Castillo (or Oliver Perez).

I'm not hating; just being cynical.
      There is an inherent risk in these kinds of contracts. However, it's a risk the Braves had to take. They haven't had a consistent right-handed power for four years, essentially.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• Interesting rumor about the Braves being one of the frontrunners for Jorge Cantu. Depending on the type of contract it would be a nice pickup as insurance for Chipper and could spell Freeman against a tough Lefty.

Sorry I haven't posted my previews as I just haven't had any real time to do the things needed for it.
        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
          Interesting rumor about the Braves being one of the frontrunners for Jorge Cantu. Depending on the type of contract it would be a nice pickup as insurance for Chipper and could spell Freeman against a tough Lefty.

Sorry I haven't posted my previews as I just haven't had any real time to do the things needed for it.
          when i heard DOB debunk this rumor I was mildly intrigued. He's not great with the glove, but he is better than conrad and could play a decent 1B and 3B. I would rather prado in LF than him and prado than mather or something. I wonder if a cantu signing would be the end of conrad's role? Also, it would probably limit hinske to soley a PH role, which I don't mind.

Comment

• Finally have enough time to write my other predictions, in addition there are 10 questions for the Braves going into Spring Training. (would love here your answers)

Predictions

Freddie Freeman :: .273 BA :: .344 OBP :: .447 SLG :: .791 OPS :: 454 AB :: 124 H :: 45 R :: 34 2B :: 0 3B :: 15 HR :: 62 RBI :: 46 BB :: 7 IBB :: 93 SO :: 2 SB :: 2 CS

Freddie's team numbers (RBIs and Runs) are hurt by his low positioning in the lineup and the fact that he gets the day off against tough lefties like Lee or Hamels. Nothing sexy but a solid compliment to the lineup as a whole.

Eric Hinske :: .238 BA :: .338 OBP :: .425 SLG :: .763 OPS :: 256 AB :: 61 H :: 29 R :: 18 2B :: 0 3B :: 10 HR :: 41 RBI :: 37 BB :: 0 IBB :: 72 SO :: 0 SB :: 0 CS

I see Eric splitting time at 1B and LF similar to last year but more so in LF with Prado subbing at 3B. Eric doesn't have as good a year as last year but still is a major pinch hitter that helps win the Braves a hand full of games.

Next Up :: Second Base

Ten Questions For the Braves

1. Will a true Ace of the Rotation step up? :: While I like Hudson I still think the Braves need an Ace and if you read my predictions you know I think Hanson is going to do it this year.

2. Which Nate McLouth will show up? :: Has to be the most asked question will All-Star Nate (2008), Solid Nate (2009), or Terrible make you puke Nate (2010) show up.

3. Will only 3 Braves play good Defense? :: Gonzalez, Freeman, and Heyward are the only ones I expect to be good which could be a major weakness for Atlanta. Even the backups though are average at best defensive players with the likes of Diory, Conrad, Young, Mather, etc.

4. How many games will Chipper play? :: This is a question every year but normally it is asked will he play more then a 130 or 140 games this year you seriously have to question if he will play over a 100.

5. Is Alex Gonzalez anything more then a 7th or 8th hitter? :: Alex had a great 1st half which combined with Yunel's personality helped make a trade happen but after coming to Atlanta (a much more pitcher friendly park) he came back to his 2004 - 2006 numbers, will that be what continues or will he have a good year in his contract year.

6. Will Kimbrel and Venters be able to shut the door? :: We all love Kimbrel and Venters but until one of them is racking up saves this will always be a big question mark.

7. Can Uggla give the Braves enough of an offensive boost to compete with the Phillies? :: Uggla doesn't need to do it himself but if he can be a consistent force in the Braves lineup (something the Braves were scrambling to find last year) then it should really help the Braves remain competitive in the East.

8. Do the Braves have Depth? :: Last year the Braves dealt with injuries during the season with the quality depth of Infante, Hinske, and Conrad (did a lot before his defensive meltdown), but do the Braves still have that kind of depth either in the majors or the minors?

9. What is Schafer's Future? :: I read something that makes sense if Schafer is on the major league roster then the Braves don't think his future outlook is good but if he is in the minors then they believe he can still be a quality starter.

10. What to do with the $6.667 Million Elephant in the Camp? :: Pure and simple where is KK going to end up, I'm hoping somewhere else for a utility guy in return.
            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Ten Questions For the Braves

1. Will a true Ace of the Rotation step up? :: While I like Hudson I still think the Braves need an Ace and if you read my predictions you know I think Hanson is going to do it this year.
              I do think Hanson will make strides toward becoming an ace, but he's such a power pitcher and so young that I look for him to take some lumps as well, I also think Hudson will perform slightly worse than last year and Lowe will be closer to what he was at the end of the year but not quite the same. If all that happens we will have three potential aces on any given day.

2. Which Nate McLouth will show up? :: Has to be the most asked question will All-Star Nate (2008), Solid Nate (2009), or Terrible make you puke Nate (2010) show up.
              2009 Nate will show up, he didn't have pressure in Pitt but now there's more light on him. He won't be spectacular but he won't do anything to make Fredi take him out of teh lineup either. Solid with some power and a little speed is what I envision.

3. Will only 3 Braves play good Defense? :: Gonzalez, Freeman, and Heyward are the only ones I expect to be good which could be a major weakness for Atlanta. Even the backups though are average at best defensive players with the likes of Diory, Conrad, Young, Mather, etc.
              Defense won't be anything great but I don't see it costing us as many games as some might expect. It probably won't win us any.

4. How many games will Chipper play? :: This is a question every year but normally it is asked will he play more then a 130 or 140 games this year you seriously have to question if he will play over a 100.
              I think Chipper will play in about 70 games. Hopefully it won't be due to a major injury, just don't see him being able to take the day to day lumps all year.

5. Is Alex Gonzalez anything more then a 7th or 8th hitter? :: Alex had a great 1st half which combined with Yunel's personality helped make a trade happen but after coming to Atlanta (a much more pitcher friendly park) he came back to his 2004 - 2006 numbers, will that be what continues or will he have a good year in his contract year.
              Gonzo will end up toward the bottom of the lineup by the end of teh eyar, no question.

6. Will Kimbrel and Venters be able to shut the door? :: We all love Kimbrel and Venters but until one of them is racking up saves this will always be a big question mark.
              My prediction is Kimbrel starts out hot, then flames out a bit once people figure him out, Venters will have solid numbers and be the closer byt eh end of the year and Sherril and Linebrink will have about 7 saves each.

7. Can Uggla give the Braves enough of an offensive boost to compete with the Phillies? :: Uggla doesn't need to do it himself but if he can be a consistent force in the Braves lineup (something the Braves were scrambling to find last year) then it should really help the Braves remain competitive in the East.
              Uggla will protect B Mac and J-Hey. When Chipper is int he lineup it'll be rather fearsome when it comes to power. Freeman will add a little as well as Prado and if McClouth hits 15 bombs or so then we have great power potential.

8. Do the Braves have Depth? :: Last year the Braves dealt with injuries during the season with the quality depth of Infante, Hinske, and Conrad (did a lot before his defensive meltdown), but do the Braves still have that kind of depth either in the majors or the minors?
              I think the depth is fine. We still have Conrad and hinske. We have Schafer and Mather and there are a few more in the minors that could be called upon if necessary.

9. What is Schafer's Future? :: I read something that makes sense if Schafer is on the major league roster then the Braves don't think his future outlook is good but if he is in the minors then they believe he can still be a quality starter.
              Schafer isn't the future anymore in my opinion. He will start in the minors and gain value and will be traded at the deadline to get some help for our push.

10. What to do with the $6.667 Million Elephant in the Camp? :: Pure and simple where is KK going to end up, I'm hoping somewhere else for a utility guy in return.
              KK will be traded toward the end of spring training when needs develop and we will eat about 4 MIL is my guess.
              "There are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary. And there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance."

"The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." - James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams

Comment

• The Future is on the right and left, Julio Teheran on the left and Randall Delgado on the right
                Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X