Anyone Feeling More Comfortable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Feeling More Comfortable?

...with the bullpen. Right now we have 3 leftys it the bullpen, that is a huge rarity in baseball and we have it. Remlinger is pitching like he did 5 years ago, and could be a set-up man if needed. James has been superb as a long relief guy. Ray has been a total suprise and has pitched well. Cormier and Villarreal have been shaky a few times, but for the most part they have been great setup guys. McBride has the ability to be the closer if need be. And well Reitsma is uh... Reitsma. I know he tries, but Bobby has him in the wrong role. But never the less he is 5-6 in save chances.

Compared to last years bullpen I feel a lot better about this one. This is discounting that Boyer is out, Devine and Startup are still in the minors, oh and in about a month we have Foster and Almanzar comming back. Not to mention reliable Peter Moylan waiting in the wings.

So how do you all feel about this bullpen?
    Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

P.S. If the Braves needed to bring in Foster the Braves would have 4 LFFTYS!

Comment

I certainly like this bullpen better then last years'.

With all those lefties, surely Bobby will try Chuck James out for a rotation spot. I don't know for certain that he would do well, but I'd love to see the kid get a couple of starts to see how he'd do.

Hopefully the Braves can use some of these arms in potential trades to patch up weaknesses as the season progresses.

Startup is most likely still a ways off from making the major league club, but I can't wait to see how he does. He certainly has been tearing it up in the minors.
      Last edited by grizzly451; 05-01-2006, 10:24 AM.

Comment

James isn't overpowering, but he is consistant and can get outs. I think he'd do well as a starter.

Comment

I'd love to see about anyone other then Ramirez in the rotation, he is far from overwhelming or consistent with is control. There are enough guys that can pull off the long-relief role to let them try for the rotation spot. Bump Ramirez out of the rotation and trade him.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say we'd have to trade Ramirez. There is no room for him in the bullpen, plue he struggles there anyway. Plus he's a waste to send down the minors. I bet the Pirates or Rangers would love to get their hands on him.

Comment

Jorge Sosa hasn't convinced me that he is any better long term than Ramirez so I wouldn't go trading the lefty Ramirez just yet. Certainly James is a candidate for the rotation but right now I think he is doing fine in the role he is in. We also have Anthony Lerew still developing in the minors, but after that the next wave of quality Braves starting pitchers is mostly at the single-A level.
              Let's go Braves!!

Comment

Originally posted by ATL22
                Jorge Sosa hasn't convinced me that he is any better long term than Ramirez so I wouldn't go trading the lefty Ramirez just yet. Certainly James is a candidate for the rotation but right now I think he is doing fine in the role he is in. We also have Anthony Lerew still developing in the minors, but after that the next wave of quality Braves starting pitchers is mostly at the single-A level.

I'm not certain if Will Startup is starter material, or if he just would be better out of the bullpen. But he's be tearing it up in AA, and last year both Boyer and McBride were called up from AA and did fine.

I'm fairly sure though that Startup won't get called up until September.

ATL22, I agree with you about Sosa not convincing me. But I think Sosa has better stuff, certainly a faster velocity, if not similiar control to Ramirez. I mainly like the James for Ramirez swap since they are both lefties.

Comment

In the long run you may be right that James is a better fit in the rotation than Ramirez, but for right now I think the Braves want to keep James in the 'pen and get him some more experience before moving him to the rotation with Davies and even Sosa. basically you are looking at three variations of the Starting rotation when Ramirez comes back:

Player/throws/exp
                  Hudson/R/7
                  Smoltz/R/18
                  Thomson/R/9
                  Davies/R/1 (sort of)
                  Ramirez/L/3

or

Hudson/R/7
                  Smoltz/R/18
                  Thomson/R/9
                  Davies/R/1 (sort of)
                  Sosa/R/4

or

Hudson/R/7
                  Smoltz/R/18
                  Thomson/R/9
                  Davies/R/1 (sort of)
                  James/L/0

I see problems with all of these rotations but here is my breakdown. If you keep sosa in the3 rotation you have a Starter who can be on or more likely be off. He has a tendancy to pitch himself into trouble. and you have a lineup of all righties. You also have a pitcher (ramirez) that is not going to the minors, has proven ineffective in the bullpen and has almost 0 trade value right now. If you put James in the rotation you now have 1 totally unproven arm in tyour lineup and a second with minimal ML experience. Yes James has been effective out of the pen, but what happens the first time he faces a lineup for the second time in the same game(and his K/BB ratio is not stellar)? You still have the same problem with Ramirez as in the Sosa scenario. In the last option you place a left-handed starter who was ineffective last year, but has proven he can be dominate when healthy in the lineup and you have the option of moving Sosa to the pen or even possibly trading him (I believe he is a more tradeable player at this point than ramirez). If you move him to the bullpen than you could send James back to the minors where he could be starting and bulding his arm strength back up so if Ramirez falters or gets hurt agin you bring him up and put him in the rotation.
                  I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X