Braves Caravan announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braves Caravan announced

The braves announced the 2011 caravan tenative dates. They are making a couple of stops somewhat close to me, being chattanooga TN (about 2.5 hrs away) and in Madison TN (about 45 minutes away) I am planning on going to both of them.

here is a link about it
    http://www.talkingchop.com/2011/1/4/...munity-caravan

Great news. I had a blast last year here in Macon. I hope they change it up and we get a new group. Last year we got Huddy and JHey as the headliners. I'd love to see McCann, Lowe or Freeman this year.
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

JHey would be awesom! so would mccann, chipper, hudson...just to name a few

Comment

The appearance lineups have been posted.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/atl/co...p?loc=schedule

Fairly decent draw here in Macon with Freddie Freeman and Frank Wren.

If I get the notion I might ride up to Athens to see BMac.
        If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

I am more excited about the madison tn stop but will still go to the chattanooga tn stop also.

Allie: I wish BMac was coming on one of the stops up here. He is one of my favorites. I sent him a TTM request early in the season but I dont think I will be getting it back.
          Last edited by tlondon; 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I'm not a ttm guy but I was under the impression that he was a good signer.

It's about a two hour ride for me to get to Athens so it will be a "see how I feel at that moment" decision.

Comment

the one I went to last year wasnt too bad if you dont mind waiting a couple hours! The line was huge, and the biggest name we had was Freddie Freeman - I cant imagine how long someone would have to camp out if Heyward or Chipper would be in attendance.
              I have Evan Longorias hat

Comment

The biggest names at the ones I am going to is Uggla and Prado. I wont mind waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by DriftersGM View Post
                  the one I went to last year wasnt too bad if you dont mind waiting a couple hours! The line was huge, and the biggest name we had was Freddie Freeman - I cant imagine how long someone would have to camp out if Heyward or Chipper would be in attendance.
                  I was at a Hudson/ Heyward appearance last year and the line was really not bad at all. In fact a few people actually got BACK in line and made it through again.

I went Monday in Macon with Freeman/ Wren/ et. al. The line was not any worse than it was last year. I was #94 in line (they give everyone a number initially) and made it though in less than 30 minutes. The line probably had a bit less than last year and everyone was mostly cleared out by then end of the session. The players were just sitting and talking with fans by that point.

Again I went with my son and his cousin. They were probably the youngest fans there (five and four respectively) and had a great time; mostly running around the gym equipment while in line and then getting a "hello" from the players as they looked on in silent awe.

One funny thing (to me anyway): My son was wearing a Chipper Jones t-shirt. It was a gift from his little cousin and he only wears it to some Braves games and events like these (I'm training him to be a NY fan). Mr. Wren noticed the shirt and asked if Chipper was his favorite player. My son looked at him, then turned around and looked at me. As Mr. Wren turned his attention toward me I said, "Mickey Mantle." My boy turned around trying to hide a smile and nodded. Mr. Wren looked back at him and said, "Mantle huh? Good one."

I'm tempted to take him in his Mantle jersey to Athens on Friday where Mr. Wren will be appearing.

Comment

94th out of how many? And last year the lines were so long the pressure was on the folks in front to keep moving quickly. It was literally less than two seconds a person with each player, no personalizations on stuff being signed, store employees standing guard with "keep moving along" looks.... Maybe Im spoiled, when I met Heymard there were all of three of us before a minor league game, but to stand in line 100 folks deep for two seconds with a player seems a little drastic. Im glad you got to talk to Wren with your son, Im sure he appreciated a young player who knows the history of the game!

Comment

I see according to this article that there were about 200 folks who didnt get to meet any brave players even tho the event ran twenty minutes longer than the announced times. I suspected a heyweird appearance would be a long line!

Comment

We were 94 of maybe 300. I probably could have gotten closer had I not milled around the store for a time before getting in line. The event started at 4 pm and we got to the store at about 3:30. Like I said the line moved very fast and the Braves were cordial and managed to speak to just about everyone even if it was only, "How do you do?"

Heyward is definitively the face of the team right now. Many Many Many of the people in line mentioned that they wished JHey would have been scheduled as he was last year. Ironically the group of fans was not much larger when he was there last year. They just weren't as familiar then.

Meeting a player at a minor league game BEFORE he has appeared in the Show might be a more pleasant experience but if JHey had been a bust I suspect the folks queued up in Alabama would have been a bit less enthusiastic and your meeting him in a more intimate environment would be moot. Try getting close to Chipper Jones or Tommy Hanson (or Jason Heyward for that matter) should they be making a rehab start for that same minor league team.

Comment

Most of the rehabbers are super nice, probably happy to be back from the void of the DL and get a little attention again. Tommy Hansen was really cool when I got to meet him, I had a nice little convo about the seven inning no-hitter he had thrown just a few weeks previous. If there were a line of a hundred-plus people behind me I probly wouldnt have had that chance, so while its nice to have a caravan for fans to get pics and a sigs, its not exactly the Meet and Greet its billed as. Maybe if we were Pirates or Mariners fans the caravan would be more up-close? lol

I kinda feel for the players who do that kinda thing, the throng of fans que up for a mile must be daunting! It seems most of the players who attend are ones in situations where saying "no i dont want to caravan" would send bad signals to the team. Like Uggla, who is new to the team, guys like Beachy and Conrad who are probly hoping it scores that extra point to make the team out of spring training.

dont get me wrong, i will check out a braves caravan stop, even if just to support it coming around!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X